Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 03

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, January 14 and Sunday, January 20.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Sunset with a Google Pixel 3XL using the Night Sight.  I'm learning to use it on most still settings, lit or not.  Gives the pics a kind of HDR vibe but seems smoother in the transitions from light to dark.

IMG-20190118-175711-01.jpg

Edited by shootr

For those in sunny areas of the world who have forgotten the "Look of Winter", below are are couple of visuals this afternoon from our home in Columbus. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 41,858 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From our family room, here is the snowy look out towards our wooded back yard.  Second is how things looked this afternoon from our front door down to the roadway and bridge in our ravine area in Central Ohio.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1901458133_CMA_07422.jpg.42222a66898107889d52e7eb2e958164.jpg

1190827920_CMA_07441.thumb.jpg.32d96902563f811b562e9569751404b4.jpg

We don't get to see much snow here in South Florida . But we did get to see snow , ice and icebergs in South America and Antarctica on the Zaandam .

IMG_8974_zpshf6igyg8.jpg

An iceberg with a pool and a hot tub

IMG_8985_zpsx9mmktdv.jpg

There was enough snow

IMG_9170_zpsnsmvipaa.jpg

to make a snow baby .

IMG_9145_zpst93m7jdp.jpg

And it was cold enough to make penguins snuggle .

IMG_4886_zpspkxutkdr.jpg

IMG_5265_zpstdh9zn6e.jpg

You can read about and see more of our South American and Antarctica here :

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We don't get to see much snow here in South Florida. But we did get to see snow , ice and icebergs in South America and Antarctica on the Zaandam.

Nice above visuals from South American and Antarctica.  Both of these scenic areas are on our future "to-do" list.  Been to BA and Mendoza in Argentina, but need to go farther south. 

Were others able to see the reddish moon that just happened near midnight?  Below is one picture that I snapped with my camera from our back patio.  Nice clear skies!!!  Temperature was down to only 5F so I did not stay outside too long.  

For our latest live/blog, see “Greece, Holy Lands, Egypt, Dubai, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is my photo view of the total lunar eclipse and super blood wolf moon.  Did other go outside to see this unique event?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

1639283903_CMA_076514.jpg.a9b4b094dd387ee178ab5b2c07ed9c32.jpg

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Nice above visuals from South American and Antarctica.  Both of these scenic areas are on our future "to-do" list.  Been to BA and Mendoza in Argentina, but need to go farther south. 

Were others able to see the reddish moon that just happened near midnight?  Below is one picture that I snapped with my camera from our back patio.  Nice clear skies!!!  Temperature was down to only 5F so I did not stay outside too long.  

For our latest live/blog, see “Greece, Holy Lands, Egypt, Dubai, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is my photo view of the total lunar eclipse and super blood wolf moon.  Did other go outside to see this unique event?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

1639283903_CMA_076514.jpg.a9b4b094dd387ee178ab5b2c07ed9c32.jpg

•  

No , thanks for sharing it with us .

Back out for some wildlife and birding this past weekend - these also represent my 'winter looks' series as well, for those who want to know what winters look like here (hint: they look exactly like spring, fall, and summer).

A somewhat more rare sighting in these parts - the lovely little hooded merganser, with his hood up:

original.jpg

Male red-winged blackbird clinging to a reed:

original.jpg

A green heron, walking on a reed out over the water where he could hunt for fish:

original.jpg

Big wood stork coming in to land:

original.jpg

An idea how crowded the trees get in the wetlands during nesting season - this great blue heron is trying to land, while the trees are crowded with 4 other cormorants and 6 wood storks - that's just within the few feet of tree island visible in this shot!:

original.jpg

I didn't shoot the blood moon on Sunday night - I sat lazily in my jacuzzi and watched the eclipse without my camera.  But the day before, out at the wetlands, the nearly full moon was rising during sunset, so I took a shot of it in between all the birds:

original.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, TLCOhio said:

For those in sunny areas of the world who have forgotten the "Look of Winter", below are are couple of visuals this afternoon from our home in Columbus. 

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 41,858 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From our family room, here is the snowy look out towards our wooded back yard.  Second is how things looked this afternoon from our front door down to the roadway and bridge in our ravine area in Central Ohio.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1901458133_CMA_07422.jpg.42222a66898107889d52e7eb2e958164.jpg

1190827920_CMA_07441.thumb.jpg.32d96902563f811b562e9569751404b4.jpg

•  

nice shots!

TERRI:  Somewhere you had posted information about the San Jerom ...(sp?) monestery in Lisbon (Belem) - where can I locate  it? My e-mail is tommui808 (at) icloud (dot)com

Thanks!

On 1/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, tommui987 said:

nice shots!

TERRI:  Somewhere you had posted information about the San Jerom ...(sp?) monestery in Lisbon (Belem) - where can I locate  it? My e-mail is tommui808 (at) icloud (dot)com    Thanks!

Appreciate this nice follow-up and this good question.  From the link below, you can see all of the many details and visuals as to what we enjoyed and did in Lisbon, Portugal, etc.  Stating on page one there are some pictures regarding Jerónimos Monastery.  Much more can be seen on page eight, starting at post #191, from my live/blog. 

This spectacular site is also called Hieronymites Monastery.  It was one of our top super highlights. This former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome is near the Tagus river in the Belém part of Lisbon. The construction of the monastery and church began in 1501 and was completed 100 years later. It was taken over by the government in 1833. The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture. That design means it has a richly ornate architectural style with complex sculptural themes incorporating maritime elements and objects discovered during naval expeditions. It is carved in limestone. Amazing architectural details to see "up close and personal." It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belém, in 1983.

Have sent an e-mail to you.  Happy to share more and answer any questions.  Just post on the live/blog thread. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 27,000 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Below are just three visuals as a sampling from Jerónimos Monastery in lovely and charming Lisbon.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201549_zpsfkbma0cv.jpg

June%202017A%201552_zpsxdnoc3jb.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpshtbqoti1.jpg

The red-eye from Los Angeles to Houston took it's toll on Hailee and Savannah. This was taken after breakfast, two hours into our theoretical four-hour layover as we sat in the waiting area of the first of four standby flights we failed to get a seat on. Our pre-cruise travel plan had failed to take into account the four-day (for some) MLK holiday weekend and the flights were full of folks heading somewhere other than home. Luckily, we planned to get to Miami two days early which allowed for a hasty plan B. Plan B included splitting the cost of a eight-seat monster SUV with our son’s family and driving for 21 hours (1,198 miles) to Miami. Family bonding fun!

Sleepy Sisters

p3273352987-5.jpg

Dave