Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2019

barbpretz

3 hours ago, Photofinish4 said:

I just ask my room steward to give me 2 Patters every evening and he does

It would work, but we are the type that we ask less of our steward and walk as much as we can to off-set the food.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, Ep010835 said:

Two completely different things. 

Even with the OM suite of apps there is an abundance of useful information on Princess at Sea. Some of which isn’t included in OM. 

On 6/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, Ep010835 said:

Quite correct. I’ve been told (though never restored to using it) that Princess at Sea also operates on OM ships/cruises for use by those who choose not to participate in OM. 

As we’ve always used OM when it’s available, I cannot say with 100% certainty this is correct. Just what I’ve been told. I’m cursed with being an “early adopter”. 

On 6/19/2019 at 12:50 PM, RRFan said:

We  were on the Ruby 2 months ago and they had Ocean Medallion as internet, but none of cabins were using it for accessibility or any other OM functions that I'm aware of.  Princess at Sea is no longer available.  You just connect to a browser and the "new" ocean concierge is what connects.  It's basically the same as Princess at Sea but just a new look and no APP download is required.  I did notice that the Princess site itself was no longer available, but I feel that was just a Ruby snafu and surely will be.  

"Princess @ Sea" is still functional.  By that, I mean using a web browser and URL <shipname>.princess.com.  I used this on Regal this past month which is OM.  The OM Apps do not include stateroom account data.  I used the old web access to review account transactions.  It also had the old locations and hours info which was handy to reference and it had the Patter events in the old format (which I actually preferred somewhat to the OM presentation).  Regardless of preferences, I used the OM apps as much as possible and generally used the old access for reviewing our account.  I imagine that feature will be incorporated into OM eventually.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:58 AM, RRFan said:

Actually, Princess ships haven't required you to take your life jacket for some time now.  Don't take it and if you do, don't wear it. 😉  And don't think you can skip it, they will hunt you down and I've heard  of people who refused to attend (saying they are too tired) having to leave the ship (have only read about it).  Sometimes there's a later drill for those who boarded very late and/or didn't attend the first one. But they scan you into the drill and check for any passengers not scanned.

For those talking about the souffle, it varies by ship but they often have other varieties of souffle (or sauce) in the evenings in the MDR and they're excellent!  And if you are doing a B2B (back-to-back cruises--when one ends, you stay on board for the next one), the menus are usually repeated (MDR menus) so the orange souffle will come around again!    

Another tip, take your driver's license ashore with you as your government-issued ID unless you need your passport for an excursion.  It's smaller and can be replaced easier if you lose it.  If you lose your passport, you've got a problem.  We carry a xerox copy of our passports, but not sure that would get you on an airplane if you had to fly home internationally (haven't tried to show the copy as my ID either).  Some ports won't ask to see your ID but many will and if you don't have it, you may be delayed re-boarding the ship and will definitely hold up the line and cause other passengers to groan.

19 minutes ago, jangor said:

On one of our early cruises, the PA did not sound in or near or our room and we forgot about it.  We missed muster and no one checked on us.  Just lucky, I guess

Maybe prior to today’s computer dominated cruise environment?

On 1/16/2019 at 7:53 AM, oskidunker said:

Cruises may appear sold out one day and then not the next day. Tracking a cruise to Mexico , looking for a last minute fare reduction. Monday 27 cabins left. Yesterday none. Today 22. Not sure what is causing this.  Be patient. Cruise before had availability up to  2 days  before sailing 

What causes that is people or groups putting a reservation hold on the cabin. Then changing there minds. If I remember the hold is for a maximum of 2 days before you have to put a deposit down or pay the full amount due depending on how many days to the sailing date.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:47 AM, Almighty188 said:

Thanks for the tip, took some time for me to find the name of it as I saw it on page 4 first.   Can one actually request more than one dessert at the MDR?  I mean if I saw something else I want, would that be a problem?  

You can order as many deserts as your stomach can handle although I suspect other diners might wonder about the strange behaviour. You can also order multiple main courses, salads, etc. I have made the mistake of telling a waiter that a dish was very good and a few minutes later he placed a new plate in front of me. You can specify small or large portions etc.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, craftygrandma said:

You can request to see the children's Menu and order desserts.  My Dad and DH love the ice cream treats.  You can order anything on the menu.  

The Volcano is a banana split that is on the children's menu.  It is HUGE and very good.  It looks different on different ships but it is always worth having at least once on each cruise.

Here's my Princess Secret:

If you are going to purchase photos, start collecting them from the beginning of the trip. They put the photos on display in groups: Embarkation, 1st Formal - Botticelli's, Sailaway, etc...

Find your photos, and ask the photo people to put them in an envelope for you behind the desk. Just keep collecting them and putting them away until the day before disembarkation. Then you can peruse them at your leisure, while everyone else is frantically scanning the thousands of pictures, trying to find all of theirs.

On our last cruise, I had been collecting them, but I didn't ask for an envelope. I just put them all together on one of the display boards. I was so frustrated when I came by to collect them and the staff had redistributed them to all the different displays!!! I don't know what they were thinking...

1 hour ago, Deesquared said:

Here's my Princess Secret:

If you are going to purchase photos, start collecting them from the beginning of the trip. They put the photos on display in groups: Embarkation, 1st Formal - Botticelli's, Sailaway, etc...

Find your photos, and ask the photo people to put them in an envelope for you behind the desk. Just keep collecting them and putting them away until the day before disembarkation. Then you can peruse them at your leisure, while everyone else is frantically scanning the thousands of pictures, trying to find all of theirs.

On our last cruise, I had been collecting them, but I didn't ask for an envelope. I just put them all together on one of the display boards. I was so frustrated when I came by to collect them and the staff had redistributed them to all the different displays!!! I don't know what they were thinking...

So is there any chance of them getting lost or misplaced if they aren't on the display board?  This sounds like a great idea, I was thinking I would wait until the last day and purchase the ones I wanted.  Is the envelope left in one spot so you can add additional photos?

4 hours ago, 34TigerLily said:

The Volcano is a banana split that is on the children's menu.  It is HUGE and very good.  It looks different on different ships but it is always worth having at least once on each cruise.

I thought you like to see the Volcano 😁

Tony

A7E408B5-905A-4B12-8811-0382ED40C874.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KG2019 said:

So is there any chance of them getting lost or misplaced if they aren't on the display board?  This sounds like a great idea, I was thinking I would wait until the last day and purchase the ones I wanted.  Is the envelope left in one spot so you can add additional photos?

This was suggested to me by one of the employees on my first cruise. She put my last name and cabin # on the envelope, and kept it behind the desk for me. I guess there is always a possibility that it could be misplaced, but the desk area is not very large. Some employees are more helpful than others. I would chat with a few of them, and find one that seems eager to help.

2 hours ago, Deesquared said:

This was suggested to me by one of the employees on my first cruise. She put my last name and cabin # on the envelope, and kept it behind the desk for me. I guess there is always a possibility that it could be misplaced, but the desk area is not very large. Some employees are more helpful than others. I would chat with a few of them, and find one that seems eager to help.

Some of the staff in the photo area look so incredibly bored having to stand around there for hours I would guess most of them would be happy to speak with you and have something to do other than just stand there.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, jwattle said:

Disney only lets you bring on wine, champagne or a six pack at embarking, and they charge $25 corkage tob bring it to their dining room.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/carrying-alcohol-onboard/

Such a deal and the cruise is only 2-4 times the price of other standard cruise lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Such a deal and the cruise is only 2-4 times the price of other standard cruise lines.

I was only citing it as a reply to the person who said Disney let them bring all alcohol.

34 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I was only citing it as a reply to the person who said Disney let them bring all alcohol.

You can’t blame Disney they need the money 😳. Do you know how much Mickey Mouse makes a year? 😳😁😁

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lucky TGO said:

You can’t blame Disney they need the money 😳. Do you know how much Mickey Mouse makes a year? 😳😁😁

Tony

And gets paid in cheese (with wine)😜

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

The truth is Mickey  doesn’t drink.  Minnie can drink 🍾 with the best of them. 😁😁

Tony

And that is why she is loved by the rowboat! 💖

On 6/26/2019 at 3:00 PM, brisalta said:

You can order as many deserts as your stomach can handle although I suspect other diners might wonder about the strange behaviour. You can also order multiple main courses, salads, etc. I have made the mistake of telling a waiter that a dish was very good and a few minutes later he placed a new plate in front of me. You can specify small or large portions etc.

That doesn't always work...I wanted a taste of the Curtis Stone Pork Belly. Asked the waiter for just a small piece. He brought a whole new meal (in addition to the one I'd just consumed). BTW: the pork belly was awful. One bite was definitely enough.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, Lucky TGO said:

I thought you like to see the Volcano 😁

Tony

A7E408B5-905A-4B12-8811-0382ED40C874.jpeg

The Captain somehow always nails it!! 😀👍

Mine always seem to arrive with a severe case of structural failure!

M6VmmFOhQ9yt%p6vG4I3Dw.jpg