Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2019

barbpretz

It has been a long time since our last Princess cruise, so it’s possible some of these things may not be applicable anymore (if so, someone please correct me). But these are/were some of our favorite “secrets”.

• Ask for a bowl of mixed berries in the MDR for breakfast (I’ve only been turned down once, at the end of a cruise, because they didn’t have any more). 
  • Look for the puzzle/riddle sheets in the library. My husband and I like to race each other to see who finished first. There’s a new one every day. They’re awesome to keep in your back pocket for when you have a few minutes of downtime.
  • We’ve also had luck asking for a little minced garlic and olive oil for our bread in the MDR.
  • Too full after dinner, but still want dessert? Try asking for dessert “to go”. On prior cruises they’ve packaged it up in a foil swan for us to take back to our cabin to enjoy later.
  • With food in general, I always found it didn’t hurt to ask. I’ve rarely been turned down (but I also don’t make outlandish requests, or ask for things they likely don’t have). The worst they can say is “no”. 
  • Probably the most important tip of all: If a crew member goes the extra mile to grant a special request, or otherwise provide exceptional service, make every effort to leave a comment card for them, and maybe even put in a good word with the Head Waiter/Maitre D’ or other supervisory staff in addition to the comment card. Those notes can be so helpful for them, and they cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

When you use the Princess at Sea on your phone once you board:

You Can order your breakfast the night before (eliminating the door hanger)

See your account balance/expenditures

See the Patter and click on the event to make your own personalized schedule

Reserve shore excursions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FoghornLeghorn said:

Reserve shore excursions

When ordering from the room service menu on the app, is there a way to put in customizations or special requests?

2 hours ago, FoghornLeghorn said:

Reserve shore excursions

Hi Reba!  

MDR breadbaskets no longer include breadsticks (my favorite) but we've found that if we make our wish for them known, they will be there all subsequent days.  

In general, bread on Princess is fantastic, unfortunately lol.

• Like 2

On the Regal on the last cruise day there is a Chocolate Celebration in the buffet starting at breakfast. Amazing choices and if you don’t want sweets at breakfast, bring some back to your cabin. There is also lots of seafood at lunch buffet on the same day. Shrimp, mussels, oysters,crayfish, salmon,etc. And decorated gourmet enormous cakes. Yum. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dani24 said:

When ordering from the room service menu on the app, is there a way to put in customizations or special requests?

I’ve been wondering if you can request items like omelettes or pancakes from room service or is it strictly continental?

18 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I’ve been wondering if you can request items like omelettes or pancakes from room service or is it strictly continental?

Perhaps someone else will have experienced otherwise, but I believe that is a perk reserved for passengers in suites. Suite passengers are able to order from the MDR menu at all meals. You can always call the DINE line to ask. The worst that can happen is they say “no”.

We always just sent one person up to the buffet to grab stuff like that to compliment the continental breakfast. Or drag ourselves over to the MDR for breakfast (which is actually a really nice, relaxed experience that people should try at least once).

20 hours ago, Dani24 said:

I

• Probably the most important tip of all: If a crew member goes the extra mile to grant a special request, or otherwise provide exceptional service, make every effort to leave a comment card for them, and maybe even put in a good word with the Head Waiter/Maitre D’ or other supervisory staff in addition to the comment card. Those notes can be so helpful for them, and they cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time. 

I agree.

Our first cruises, we did not do these cards  until the end of the cruise, and some crew that gave us great service were missed because we forgot their names etc.

We grab the cards first day now, and fill them out on the spot when a crew member does something great.

Edited by RMMariner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chefchick said:

Yes you can. A number  of years ago I made a test and wrote things at the bottom of the room service card like French toast or omelette on the room service card. I also circled 7 AM and my meal arrived at 7 AM. 

Hope that this helps. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, emmak8 said:

On the Regal on the last cruise day there is a Chocolate Celebration in the buffet starting at breakfast. Amazing choices and if you don’t want sweets at breakfast, bring some back to your cabin. There is also lots of seafood at lunch buffet on the same day. Shrimp, mussels, oysters,crayfish, salmon,etc. And decorated gourmet enormous cakes. Yum. 

So if you are on a B2B cruise, or one with several different legs, does this happen the day before each embarkation stop?

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, RMMariner said:

I agree.

Our first cruises, we did not do these cards  until the end of the cruise, and some crew that gave us great service were missed because we forgot their names etc.

We grab the cards first day now, and fill them out on the spot when a crew member does something great.

we have been told by crew members, that even more important (because corporate sees it) is putting their names & our compliments in the e-mail survey you receive after the cruise...so we try to do both

• Like 4

12 hours ago, gma rae said:

So if you are on a B2B cruise, or one with several different legs, does this happen the day before each embarkation stop?

On our B2B over Christmas/New Yrs, it occurred on the day before disembarkation on each leg of our two week cruise. In our case, it was on a Saturday as each leg ended on Sunday. 

Edited by h-sar