alcohol in cabin?????

limpygirl

Hi all,

It is my understanding you cannot have liquor in your cabin....am I right or wrong? We are cruisingng on Navagator of the Sea. I have noticed some said you could take it in your carry on in water bottles if the booze was clear...that would be vodka, gin, coconut rum? so how do you handle having other drinks in the cabin? Interested in wine, beer? Not that we are big drinkers but do like a night- cap on special ocassions and this would be one.

A great way to end the day with a drink in my PJ's on the balcony. so how do you handle bringing on asti, baileys etc? Also, I drink 2 glasses of tonic water a day for leg cramps can I bring that on ....can I buy it on ship? I would appreciate any and all help with this.

C J

I have always brought a few bottles onto the shipplus mixers and wine. Never a problem. No one checks the room. Be discreet and don'r bring on 5-6 bottles. Usually you can buy some in port in the Caribbean and take it to the cabin however if your buying a lot in STT or STM just let the shop deliver to the ship and get it on the last night. I was only asked to have the crew store my rum purchase from Martinique because a supervisor was on duty. All other stops we just took a bottleor 2 to the room.

Hi all,

It is my understanding you cannot have liquor in your cabin....am I right or wrong? We are cruisingng on Navagator of the Sea. I have noticed some said you could take it in your carry on in water bottles if the booze was clear...that would be vodka, gin, coconut rum? so how do you handle having other drinks in the cabin? Interested in wine, beer? Not that we are big drinkers but do like a night- cap on special ocassions and this would be one.

A great way to end the day with a drink in my PJ's on the balcony. so how do you handle bringing on asti, baileys etc? Also, I drink 2 glasses of tonic water a day for leg cramps can I bring that on ....can I buy it on ship? I would appreciate any and all help with this.

C J

We have brought up to 3 cases of beer and a fifth of jack all in the check thru. They toke the jack the time I tried to carry on.

Bpb

Beer is supposed to be ok. But what I did was buy a 12-pack of Pepsi and then take six cans out and replace them with 6 beers. Then I wrapped mailing tape around the Pepsi box. It wasn't to hide the beer exactly, just to make it easier to carry. But if your ship doesn't allow beer, it's unlikely they will tear the case open to check that it's all really Pepsi.

• 3 weeks later...

Replying for Carnival ships only:

No, beer is not 'ok'. NO alcoholic beverage of any kind (exception: wine & champagne) may be brought onto the ship. IF they see it, through x-ray or whatever other method, it WILL be confiscated and returned to you as you leave the ship.

If you take your own bottle of wine to the dining room, they may impose a $10 corkage fee....and that seems to be at the discretion of your waiter. I have not been charged the fee on any cruise.

Please promise not to laugh, but my DH and I are going to try and check a case of wine in a wine box and send it through with our checked luggage. Do you think we will have success? We are wine people, obviously :eek: . The wine box is one that our wine comes in when it is shipped to our house so it is very safe in regards to breakage. We have checked wine before when traveling on vacation but this is the first time we are going to try it on a cruise. Does anyone have any experience with this?

No, beer is not 'ok'. NO alcoholic beverage of any kind (exception: wine & champagne) may be brought onto the ship. IF they see it, through x-ray or whatever other method, it WILL be confiscated and returned to you as you leave the ship.

If you take your own bottle of wine to the dining room, they may impose a $10 corkage fee....and that seems to be at the discretion of your waiter. I have not been charged the fee on any cruise.

As far as Princess ships, I never saw where it said that beer was "officially" allowed, but we had a 6-pack in our carry on bag (Not hidden at all) and nothing at all was said. I wasn't going to ask. The worst they could do was take it away. But since I know for a fact that many people were bringing on not only beer, but hard liquor both at embarkation and returning from the ports (they concealed the liquor more so than than the beer) I wasn't too concerned about it.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are getting a whole bunch of those small plastic single shot booze bottles (the kind they have on airplanes) and throwing them in our checked luggage for a Carnival cruise. They're about a buck apiece, but that's better than five bucks a drink which has a single shot in it as well.

My wife and I are getting a whole bunch of those small plastic single shot booze bottles (the kind they have on airplanes) and throwing them in our checked luggage for a Carnival cruise. They're about a buck apiece, but that's better than five bucks a drink which has a single shot in it as well.

Get a fifth wrap it in bubble wrap then seal it in a plastic ziplock bag, put in suit case with cloths all around it. Lees cost & no fuss.

Bob

Cottom pack it in your check thru NOT your carry on.

Bob

• 10 months later...

HAL allows you to bring your own wine on board. A HAL representative said that we were limited only by our ability to carry it on board. We were sailing on the Veendam in Alaska (July 2005). We found a wine store online that was across from our hotel in Anchorage. They faxed us their inventory sheet and we selected 3 cases ( 6 adults). They had it packed in boxes and delivered to the concierge when we arrived. We sent the boxes with our luggage on the transfer bus and it was delivered with our luggage to our cabin. Our cabin boy kept us supplied with ice buckets and fresh wine glasses throughout our cruise. We took our own wine to both the main dining roon and Pinnacle Grill and were only occassionally charged a $10.00 corkage fee. We would also meet in various areas of the ship for a glass of wine before dinner and it was never a problem. We had several bottles left at the end of the cruise which we shared with our cabin boy, our dinner wine steward and the maitre'd at the Pinnacle Grill. We are sailing on the Westerdam in July for a Mediterranean cruise and are planning on finding a case or two in Rome prior to sailing. We are also looking forward to being able to pick up wines from the different areas that we are visiting to try on board.

• 4 weeks later...

NCL seems to be the strictest on alcohol brought on board. We brought 2bottles of wine aboard the Pride of America in Sept last year. The security guards sent me to a desk and I paid the $15 corkage fee for them. Either pay the corkage or they will hold them until the end of the cruise.

However my husband had a six pack of bottled water that had one bottle filled with vodka and a six pack of snapple with one bottle of rum in his carry on bag. They didn't even touch them.

It's like bargaining for jewlery in the islands. Part of the fun of cruising by testing the rules. I always save the boxes from previous cruises and pack the liquor and wine in them and send them sealed with luggage and no problems. I haven't sailed NCL for several years so not familiar with their crack down but no problem so far w/ X, HAL, or pricess. Will be on Carnival next but I think excess drinking on their ships is a requirement!

Hi all,

C J

The Rum Runner flasks are wonderful for bringing booze into your cabin. They are durable, can be packed right in your luggage, and lay flat when you are finished. We have never had a problem having alcohol in our room as long as we bring it ourselves. We also have brought bottles of alcohol and had them set up in our room for the entire cruise. The cabin stewards don't care, and they won't remove them from your luggage if they see them.

But, as I said, Rumrunner flasks are the way to go. There is a website, but I can't remember it off hand. Just go to google, or something like it and type in "rum runner flasks." Enjoy your balcony! That truly is the way to go!

NCL is the only line to have called us down to area 51(JOKE) they had 100's of suitcases there my DH gave them a few beers and the other 3 cases came upstairs with us -the six pack was returned early enough to dispose of our last night.Some will get through the X-ray the rest you will have to retrieve.

This will be our first cruise, so obviously we don't know any better yet....

I don't mean to be an idiot here, but I'm a little confused about all of the smuggling of booze onboard... Can you not purchase a 12 pack of beer or a bottle of wine, on board, and take it to your room?? Just looking for some clarification on what you can purchase on board the ship.... Thanks in advance.

Stingrae - you can always order drinks and take them back to the bar but it gets expensive. Cans of beer are (from my exp.) $3 to $3.50 each so you can buy them at a liquor store and bring them on much cheaper. My favorite drink (Raspberry rum and diet coke) is $5 each so sneaking in a bottle of rum and getting the soda card is a steal.

If you're a beer drinker, you can get a bucket of beer on most ships (I think it's 6 cans or something) and it's a bit cheaper than buying them separate.

BTW - I read someone's post that her DH's suitcase was late getting to their cabin and when it finally arrived, the booze was still in place but they had added a polite note reminding them not to use the iron she had put in there! Ha!

Archived