Schengen Visa Help

KayleighJ91

Hello, ive booked a Scandanvia Cruise with Princess cruises in April (my first ever cruise). I am a South African citizen living in the UK.

My question is do I require a single or multiple entry visa for the trip? I have tried asking the embassies of each country and the cruise operators but I keep getting run around answers that are not really answering my question fully.

The itinery is as follows:

27th - Embark at Southampton

28th - Bruges, Belgium

29th - At Sea

30th - Copenhagen, Denamrk

1st - Skagen, Denmark

2nd - Oslo, Norway

3rd - At Sea

4th - Disembark at Southampton

Thanks in advance :)

Assuming that your info posted is correct, you enter Schengen area after leaving the UK then stay in it until you return to the UK so a Single entry would be fine (Belgium, Denmark* and Norway** are all Schengen members). Unless you KNOW that you won't be back, or the price differential is HUGE between Single and Multiple-entry Visas personally I'd plump for a multi-entry every time though - if you see any cheap deals to entice folks in the UK back to visiting Europe post-Brexit then you can jump on them without having to worry about arranging another visa;-) Being a UK citizen I've never had to apply, but it looks like the fee is the same regardless (60 Euro) according to the official sources, so why the heck wouldn't you apply for the longest-duration multiple-entry Visa you can get just in case you do travel again? That looks like a 5 year multi-entry visa...

The tricky part you actually haven't asked - WHICH country to send the application to! This is supposed to be the one you will spend the most time in, rather than the first country you will visit; it looks like Denmark with 2 port days is your longest Schengen-country visit, so you should be applying here.

*Greenland/Faroe Islands and **Svalbard areas are not in Schengen zone,  but are all way too far away for your ship to be visiting them in-between from the ports listed!

Don't be mis-led by which countries are in the European Union.

Norway isn't in the EU but is in Schengen.

The UK is in the EU (for the time being at least) but not in Schengen.

So as martincath's post you'll be entering the open-borders Schengen area when you arrive in Zeebrugge (Bruges), visiting other Schengen countries, and leaving Schengen in Oslo. Therefor a single-entry visa does the job. :classic_smile:

JB :classic_smile: