Edge Review - Exceptional - Hits - Misses - Failures - Edenists

Host Anne

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

There is an outside area off of Eden but there is no music there.  It is VERY small with a few places to sit.  It is not an entertainment area.  here are two photos....the first photo backs into the corner of Eden.  The second photo is looking back towards the seating area outside of Edge.  I bet there isn't seating for more than 20 people in this entire area.  And I don't they'd put music out here for such a tiny area.  

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

Anne - I never saw these outside areas in Eden.  How didn't you get there? The one looks comfy, but the one with the white bench not so much.

7 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Anne - I never saw these outside areas in Eden.  How didn't you get there? The one looks comfy, but the one with the white bench not so much.

When you walk out of Eden, there is a door immediately on your left.  There was some other fun, colorful chairs out there and here's a mural that was painted on the wall.  This is part of the promenade.  You could walk forward and end up at Fine Cut's outdoor seating.

IMG_6678.JPG

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

I have to admit that you were the FIRST person I thought of when I got my first waffle  🙂

I guess I could be remembered for a lot worse things. 😂

Thanks again for the nice review. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

The Playbill is a great idea EXCEPT it is printed on paper. They would have to make it digital on the App. Works for me and there is Zero cost to X and it can be done in about 30 minutes. 

Let’s start a petition. 

many of us can't use the app...  plus we are not  interested in buying a new phone or tablet to cruise,  and do not want to be  tethered to a device.

.Fine for those who want more app , but the rest of us should  have access to  hard copy.....at Guest Rel or the pamphlet racks they used to have for the dailies,  sudoku, crossword  puzzles, and various  international news summaries

I apologize to all  for copying all of  Anne's review...still getting the hang of the  new CC system...I am trying my best...

Vt..can you  map the location of those lovely EDEN areas Anne showed us?  They look great

.  Any updates on  the Eden speakers would also be helpful...in Nov we are SV.,deck 7 and would  like to enjoy our huge  veranda and stateroom in the evenings.

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

I apologize to all  for copying all of  Anne's review...still getting the hang of the  new CC system...I am trying my best...

Vt..can you  map the location of those lovely EDEN areas Anne showed us?  They look great

.  Any updates on  the Eden speakers would also be helpful...in Nov we are SV.,deck 7 and would  like to enjoy our huge  veranda and stateroom in the evenings.

If you look at Deck 5 aft port side in the deck plans link below, you will see where that area is located (seating area).

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/onepagepdfscript.php?ship=Celebrity Edge

This is the covered Eden area:

image.thumb.png.9a52a57873b4e40350eadb690b824587.png

image.thumb.png.cef5b3dd31600ab7568d4e47a3d4308e.png

This is the outside seating for FCSH:

image.thumb.png.d44516eb997a1a6d40059afe9d9ddd1c.png

• Thanks 1

The Playbill idea sounds like a winner.  For those of us who have watched the videos and were left totally confused, can you give a brief synopsis of the story line?  It just seemed like new-age weirdness to me.  Who are the characters and what are they supposed to be doing?

35 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

That area outside of Eden is interesting. My first thought is that it looks like what could have been planned as a smoking area. Very happy it isn’t, but I’m not sure what other purpose it serves. 

There were a couple of reports that there was smoking on one side of the Eden outdoor space (not sure which) on the TA over from France with crew, etc., but that it was banned soon after others boarded due to complaints (I remember someone saying it was on either the Shakedown cruise or the Nov 25-27 cruise. Not sure if it was a rumor or not - I'd have to look back at those posts - I think we had a smoking thread on the Edge Forum or it could have been in the Blocks thread.

Those port and starboard outside areas were billed as areas to take your Eden Cafe food and Eden Bar drinks outside to eat and drink. It is a lovely area and I hope to take my Eden Cafe sandwich out there next week.  🙂

Edited by vtcruising

7 hours ago, Host Anne said:

No....you do not put your Seapass into anything to make the A/C work but your veranda window (IVs) or veranda door (regular balconies) MUST be closed and locked for the A/C to work.  It doesn't have anything to do with your Seapass.

I didn't mention that you can get your Seapass activated on your app but then you have to always have your phone with you which I don't want to do.  So I used my Seapass the entire cruise.  You do just "tap" the touchpad on your door with your Seapass to open the cabin.  

Thanks.  Glad to hear we do not have to deal with the ac card issue.

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

I saw the outdoor seating area out by the Eden Cafe, but never noticed the other outdoor area.  Where was the exit from Eden to that outdoor space?  Looks like a nice place to relax.

I think the door is to the right in this picture. If you look at the deck plans (link above), you can see a couple of openings. This looks like the one across from the bar. The other one appears to be closer to the entrance, across from the restrooms.

image.png.38dd16dd6d78f0ac2e438dfc9822e512.png

2 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Congratulations on having an AWESOME cruise! That's so exciting! and yes, EDEN needs effort to understand, so gorgeous - anyone should LOVE it there if they give it half a chance!

Have you experienced Eden?

2 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

That area outside of Eden is interesting. My first thought is that it looks like what could have been planned as a smoking area. Very happy it isn’t, but I’m not sure what other purpose it serves. 

Shhhhhh.....don't give them any ideas!  🙂

14 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I think the door is to the right in this picture. If you look at the deck plans (link above), you can see a couple of openings. This looks like the one across from the bar. The other one appears to be closer to the entrance, across from the restrooms.

Well, if I ever get back on the Edge,I'll know where to look for that secret place. Thanks.. 

23 hours ago, Host Anne said:

REVELATION AT EDEN

I’m going to start by saying this to hopefully put it in some perspective.  Think CATS….the Broadway show.  That’s the best way I can describe this.  You have “unique” characters playing parts dressed in funky outfits.  Each has a unique personality they convey.  Yes, they do interact with the audience, but your interaction is not required. 

Thank you for all of your notes regarding Edge! It pretty much sums up everything I have been thinking. We'll get to experience it in March. Without even sailing the ship yet I know IVs will not be for us. Luckily I said this time we're doing a suite so I am glad I made that decision 2 years ago.

Re: "CATS" reference in Eden. Ugh. I didn't think I would like the performers in there (just not our style) but this kind of confirms it. I'm not a big show person anyway. Yes, I have seen some Broadway shows and enjoyed some, but I don't sought out to go to them. And for one, I never liked CATS. If I have to say out of the few shows I have seen that were Broadway or Broadway-esque, CATS is at the bottom of my list. Maybe I'm just remembering thinking it was weird when I was younger and it would have more meaning in my older age, but nope. We'll still experience it to see for ourselves but I don't think we will go at show time and don't plan to dine there. Pre dinner/mid day only.

15 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Thank you for all of your notes regarding Edge! It pretty much sums up everything I have been thinking. We'll get to experience it in March. Without even sailing the ship yet I know IVs will not be for us. Luckily I said this time we're doing a suite so I am glad I made that decision 2 years ago.

Re: "CATS" reference in Eden. Ugh. I didn't think I would like the performers in there (just not our style) but this kind of confirms it. I'm not a big show person anyway. Yes, I have seen some Broadway shows and enjoyed some, but I don't sought out to go to them. And for one, I never liked CATS. If I have to say out of the few shows I have seen that were Broadway or Broadway-esque, CATS is at the bottom of my list. Maybe I'm just remembering thinking it was weird when I was younger and it would have more meaning in my older age, but nope. We'll still experience it to see for ourselves but I don't think we will go at show time and don't plan to dine there. Pre dinner/mid day only.

No doubt about it....the show in Eden is "weird."  I used the CATS comparison because the cast is dressed in different costumes and they have different personalities like the characters in CATS.  But it's a very different show.  There are a lot of parts to it that take a lot of talent (I still see the little gymnast flying off the stage like a bird to be caught in the air by her partner).

We never saw the show start to finish because we had late traditional dining (8:30).  The Eden show mostly started at 9:00 PM so we saw portions of the end the first night.  Then on other nights we saw portions of the beginning because those shows began at 8:00.  Regardless, I could appreciate their talent.   

IMG_7205.JPG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

No doubt about it....the show in Eden is "weird."  I used the CATS comparison because the cast is dressed in different costumes and they have different personalities like the characters in CATS.  But it's a very different show.  There are a lot of parts to it that take a lot of talent (I still see the little gymnast flying off the stage like a bird to be caught in the air by her partner.

We never saw the show start to finish because we had late traditional dining (8:30).  The Eden show mostly started at 9:00 PM so we saw portions of the end the first night.  Then on other nights we saw portions of the beginning because those shows began at 8:00.  Regardless, I could appreciate their talent.   

totally understand the reference about being in "character" because yes, CATS is that way. But it further solidifies why I don't think I'll be a fan, lol.

We typically eat later on cruises, 8:30ish, so I doubt we would really be venturing in there around the times they start, based on the times you're saying. The lack of relaxing lounges with a bar does concern me - the martini bar used to be our spot until everyone went there and it became the place to be. Then it got too busy. So then we made our way to the Molecular bar which we loved, and later became World Class, still okay (but Molecular was better). Not sure where we will like to go this time before dinner with one option being loud and crowded, and the other being Eden.

9 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Ali ~ yes, I let several people know that a Playbill type sheet on Eden and the cast would really be helpful.  Right now, the majority of the guests have no idea what's happening or why.  A little synopsis would go a long way.  I loved the kids in the cast and I think passengers would enjoy knowing a little bit about them and their characters.  It should be an easy fix and help everyone enjoy the show more.

Since you compared it to Cats, I will point out that many people walked out of Cats on Oasis because they had no idea what was going on (we had seen it a few times previously so we understood the story). So perhaps your idea would be a good one for Royal as well. That said, Cats is actually understandable if you pay attention to the lyrics, even if it is a little strange. Sounds like Eden is a lot strange. 

Of course, based on what you said, on Edge they'd probably require you to pull it up on your smartphone.

BTW, while I have been told "Edge is not Anthem (OTS)" in other threads, the weirdness of the entertainment is definitely a page from the same book and all of the shows on that ship would also have benefitted from some sort of explanation.

Edited by MisterBill99

HA - Thank you for the great review and responses to questions!!!!

One prominent thing which stands out to me, and possibly others, is that each reviewer brought something away from The Edge which another may have not experienced or seen, and that is good! Since this is, after all, a brand new vessel.

Which points out to me that each of us may want to experience the ship for ourselves and find things that others, as of yet, had not, as opposed to fixating on a few (or many) pitfalls we may perceive or think that are or not there.

Yet, if The Edge is not for some, all the better that they know in advance and move on to a line that they believe is more 'compatible' in terms of cabins and food and entertainment, etc...

Thank you again and bon voyage

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ecslady said:

I saw the outdoor seating area out by the Eden Cafe, but never noticed the other outdoor area.  Where was the exit from Eden to that outdoor space?  Looks like a nice place to relax.

Wish I'd not said anything now ! It would have been really quiet out there for us if no one knew it was there! Have to smile.

The good news is that Celebrity have told us that the Eden Café is not a smoking area. :classic_biggrin:

The team from the ship told someone on Celebrity 'Chat' that they had not had any complaints re the music out there at night ---- strange that a CC member made a complaint to Guest Services when on the ship :classic_rolleyes:

18 hours ago, vtcruising said:

If you look at Deck 5 aft port side in the deck plans link below, you will see where that area is located (seating area).

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/onepagepdfscript.php?ship=Celebrity Edge

This is the covered Eden area:

image.thumb.png.9a52a57873b4e40350eadb690b824587.png

image.thumb.png.cef5b3dd31600ab7568d4e47a3d4308e.png

This is the outside seating for FCSH:

image.thumb.png.d44516eb997a1a6d40059afe9d9ddd1c.png

Sorry, me again :-)

Just wondering if you can walk past those outdoor tables while folk are dining.