What night seafood buffet (northbound)

poz222

Hi, we are on the Nordkapp (Bergen to Kirkenes) on Feb 17. I was wondering what day/port the seafood buffet is held (assuming it is on the northbound leg)? I had read somewhere it is the Honnigsvag (Cape North) day but I cannot seem to confirm that? Thanks...

33 minutes ago, poz222 said:

Hi, we are on the Nordkapp (Bergen to Kirkenes) on Feb 17. I was wondering what day/port the seafood buffet is held (assuming it is on the northbound leg)? I had read somewhere it is the Honnigsvag (Cape North) day but I cannot seem to confirm that? Thanks...

We did the RT, so I'm not quite remembering whether the seafood buffet was NB or SB, but it was ...

... DELICIOUS.

There were huge crab legs, in unending quantities.

(I've found these are harder and harder to find these, so I was in crab leg heaven.)

At first, I tried to be, well, not too piggy.

But lots of other people were loading up, so instead of going back and forth (and back and forth) for "just a couple more", I finally loaded up, too.  I'm drooling just thinking about that.

I can't imagine the quantities they must go through!

Yum.

GC

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We did the RT, so I'm not quite remembering whether the seafood buffet was NB or SB, but it was ...

... DELICIOUS.

Yes - the Nordkapp Buffet is the Day of Honningsvåg northbound and the Lofoten Buffet is Southbound - might change - when I did the midnight sun cruise in 2017 it was the other way round - might also depend on season?

14 hours ago, poz222 said:

Oh I am so excited! and Crab is our FAVORITE! I saw photos of this buffet in reviews and am so looking forward to it! We are also doing the winter crab fishing excursion in Kirkenes... 

Friends (two octogenarians) on our voyage in November did the crabbing excursion and were crazy about it - said they had a terrific time, laughing, pulling up the crabs, selecting which they wanted, and then devouring as much as they could!

On 1/14/2019 at 11:59 PM, hallasm said:

Yes - the Nordkapp Buffet is the Day of Honningsvåg northbound and the Lofoten Buffet is Southbound - might change - when I did the midnight sun cruise in 2017 it was the other way round - might also depend on season?

Ha!  The only thing I remember about that evening is that it was the first night of our 85 mph winds, and the ship was all over the place...but most of the passengers were not in the dining room!

4 hours ago, Hunding said:

Ha!  The only thing I remember about that evening is that it was the first night of our 85 mph winds, and the ship was all over the place...but most of the passengers were not in the dining room!

Well, if it is bad seas I will have to strap some crab legs to my back, shove some prawns in the pockets and eat them safely in the cabin.. lolol... 

I am hoping we have all the necessary clothing... being from South Florida we have invested nearly as much in winter clothing as the cruise... I bought base layers for my long underwear for my midweights and snow pants... I’m not sure where you put what layer on but guess I will figure it out!  hahaha.... 

poz222

I'm sure you'll be fine.  We bought and brought items we ever used - e.g., crampons, and heavy-duty, waterproof boots - but I suspect you'll have far greater opportunities and need for such things, as the weather seems to have changed markedly since we were there.  hallasm's most recent pictures showed heavy snows, of which we had none.  And always better to be over-equipped/-prepared.  Have a great trip!

2 minutes ago, Hunding said:

poz222

I'm sure you'll be fine.  We bought and brought items we ever used - e.g., crampons, and heavy-duty, waterproof boots - but I suspect you'll have far greater opportunities and need for such things, as the weather seems to have changed markedly since we were there.  hallasm's most recent pictures showed heavy snows, of which we had none.  And always better to be over-equipped/-prepared.  Have a great trip!

It's hard to know exactly what you'll need for a week of two (not a month or two, etc.).

We absolutely used our boots, for warmth, more than for slush/snow.

But we brought out [small] crampons in their open packaging (REI allows open packaging to be returned; they had shown us how to attach to our particular boots).  We never even removed them from our luggage, and we returned those when we got home.  If we ever need them for another trip, we'll buy them again - and we hope we *will* need them again :classic_smile:

We need heavy winter jackets where we live, so I used this "excuse" to get a nice *thick* new jacket.

We already had rain pants from our Alaska cruise (never needed - sunny the entire time despite forecast of rain every day!).

We've just got a place where we keep some specialized travel clothing/supplies, many with very fond memories!

GC

46 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It's hard to know exactly what you'll need for a week of two (not a month or two, etc.).

We absolutely used our boots, for warmth, more than for slush/snow.

But we brought out [small] crampons in their open packaging (REI allows open packaging to be returned; they had shown us how to attach to our particular boots).  We never even removed them from our luggage, and we returned those when we got home.  If we ever need them for another trip, we'll buy them again - and we hope we *will* need them again :classic_smile:

We need heavy winter jackets where we live, so I used this "excuse" to get a nice *thick* new jacket.

We already had rain pants from our Alaska cruise (never needed - sunny the entire time despite forecast of rain every day!).

We've just got a place where we keep some specialized travel clothing/supplies, many with very fond memories!

GC

Thanks for the tips... yes, we decided next year we want to do winter trip to Yellowstone so we utilize our winter clothes investments. We do have the ice grips for the shoes and we both have good pairs of winter boots I invested in 2 years ago for a trip to Iceland and snow pants. We have 2 days in Kirkenes afternthe cruise, then a week in a cabin with friends in central Norway so imagine we will get use of our gear 😉 I have been watching the weather (from our sunny S Florida 79 degrees lol) and I am sure we will encounter cold and snow (We leave for Norway Feb 12)... But we are excited! 

One other question, I assume the outlets on the ship are the European 220 plugs? 

3 hours ago, poz222 said:

Well, if it is bad seas I will have to strap some crab legs to my back, shove some prawns in the pockets and eat them safely in the cabin.. lolol... 

I am hoping we have all the necessary clothing... being from South Florida we have invested nearly as much in winter clothing as the cruise... I bought base layers for my long underwear for my midweights and snow pants... I’m not sure where you put what layer on but guess I will figure it out!  hahaha.... 

DH and I cracked up at the imagery :classic_biggrin:

"Strapping some crab legs to my back" is *exactly* the type of wording I might have used.  TOO funny!

[We might also have used some luggage, if we were going to have to get it all in one pass before heading to the safety of "bedroom dining".]

GC

6 hours ago, poz222 said:

other question, I assume the outlets on the ship are the European 220 plugs? 

Yes, 220 V  European style - same plug as In Norway.

9 hours ago, poz222 said:

I am hoping we have all the necessary clothing... being from South Florida we have invested nearly as much in winter clothing as the cruise... I bought base layers for my long underwear for my midweights and snow pants... I’m not sure where you put what layer on but guess I will figure it out!  hahaha..

A couple at our cruise did only have summer dress suitable for a Caribbean cruise, some need to buy additional gear in the shop onboard but most did have prober clothing. Of cause very depending on month. 

Right now the temperature is 4F in Kirkenes and lots of snow.

• 5 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 2:41 AM, hallasm said:

Just remember to bring very warm clothing  - I'm in Kirkenes right now - temperature is 10 F

I did something that I thought was pretty darn clever (if I DO say so myself).  We cruised in March so spring here on the Left Coast but I knew I would need something a tad warmer.  I bought a North Face, knee length, down jacket/coat.  I packed a pillowcase and when I was ready to call it a night on the airplane, I stuffed the jacket into the case and had THE best pillow.  Just an idea 🙂

7 hours ago, clo said:

I packed a pillowcase and when I was ready to call it a night on the airplane, I stuffed the jacket into the case and had THE best pillow.

Excellent idea - How was the weather?

7 hours ago, hallasm said:

Excellent idea - How was the weather?

Mid-March and very pleasant.  I wore that coat a couple of times but always open.  But we love the cold having lived at Lake Tahoe.  Never wore my hat or scarf.

• 4 months later...

We leave in a month from Tel Aviv and I am prepared to look ridiculous at TLV in my high tech coat and low tech Irish woolens, but mostly in my ski pants and Sorel boots. No room to pack that stuff. When we are indoors on board, regular casual clothing is the rule I assume. Does it make sense to bring a little pair of ballet flats or something to wear on the ship? Is there much unexpected running out on deck to see things, which was our experience in Alaska.

54 minutes ago, Aliyah17 said:

When we are indoors on board, regular casual clothing is the rule I assume. Does it make sense to bring a little pair of ballet flats or something to wear on the ship?

I did use my boots when travelling to Bergen and did wear them most of the day at the ship - and then a pair of comfortable but still warm shoes - absolutely no need for your ballet flats.  very casual - most people did use the same clothing at the ship as outdoor. A bit more smart casual for dinner - but still warm dress.

Edited by hallasm

That's about how I'm gonna look! I thought the ballet flats would be easy to wear around the ship, but you're saying that even inside, people wear warmer shoes?  Only worried about the  weight.

Specifically these, fabulous for traveling. https://rothys.com/womens?style=The Flat.

Also, what month was that photo?

Edited by Aliyah17
forgot to mention something

I would recommend much warmer shoes - also the open decks can be wet or covered with snow. The decks can also be slippery 
I did bring my boots, one pair solid shoes and sandals for the cabin. 
the picture is from January - weather almost the same in December - do expect snow in Tromsø,  Honningsvåg and Kirkenes 

Ah thanks. The flats are so light and also waterproof, so I may just bring them.  I wasn't planning to bring any changes for dinner, just nice sweaters. Bottoms I planned on were leggings, black denim and nicer colored denim. I'm not worried about it, the best thing about this cruise is no dressing up 😃

On 10/31/2019 at 5:43 AM, Aliyah17 said:

That's about how I'm gonna look! I thought the ballet flats would be easy to wear around the ship, but you're saying that even inside, people wear warmer shoes?  Only worried about the  weight.

Specifically these, fabulous for traveling. https://rothys.com/womens?style=The Flat.

Also, what month was that photo?

I've not read all these replies.  But onboard, you bet, wear your Rothys.  I wear them almost constantly.  I'll try to read the whole thread, I promise 🙂