Best bed arrangement with crib in the room

Jlk88

Hello.

We have booked an inside cabin for our upcoming cruise, and will be using the crib that carnival provides for our 10 month old. The 3 yo will be in an upper Pullman.

Will we make the most of our space by having the twin beds separate or pushed together for a king? The one cruise I went on with my mom instead of DH we did twin beds and I felt like there was more room.

Baby usually co-sleeps for a couple hours during the early morning, so I'm not sure I want to do that in a twin bed which is why I hesitate. We don't plan to spend too much time in our room, but I would like to be able to at least walk through it.

TIA!

Just now, cello56 said:

Are you sure they will allow your 3 year old to sleep in the upper pullman?

Why wouldn't they? I stated their ages online. When I called to request the crib I asked if the extra bed was a pullman or a trundle and they said pullman. 

She has slept on a twin bed with no guard rail since her 2nd birthday, and the pullmans have a rail. It's not like carnival can really police our sleeping arrangements when we are in the room.

"For safety reasons, we do not allow children under 6 years of age to occupy upper berths. Due to the height of the upper berths, they are not suitable for the elderly or those with limited mobility, as a short ladder needs to be climbed to reach the Pullman bed."

Sorry, I am only familiar with Royal Caribbean. Their policy is stated above.

18 minutes ago, cello56 said:

"For safety reasons, we do not allow children under 6 years of age to occupy upper berths. Due to the height of the upper berths, they are not suitable for the elderly or those with limited mobility, as a short ladder needs to be climbed to reach the Pullman bed."

Carnival has no such policy that I have ever come across. Not in the Minor Policy or Infant Policy anyway. I had no issue booking the room. 

I understand the concern, but I don't see how it can be an enforceable policy.

Would I prefer a sofa bed? Sure, but it isn't an option unless we fork over another $800 for a balcony room, and I would rather she be in a bunk bed then have to co-sleep with both her and the baby for part of the night.

2 hours ago, Jlk88 said:

Although, if it would save us significant space to split the beds, then DH could sleep up there.

I have done a few cruises with my Mother-in-law, and I am always amazed at how much LARGER the cabin seems when the beds are split! Might work to your advantage. Just ask your cabin steward how they would be set up and see if it looks like more room.

• Thanks 1

Here are a couple of options.  This is an inside cabin on Fascination, but they are the same on Elation.  When we got to the cabin, the beds were split like this:

enhance

But I have been in these cabins before, and I knew you could move the beds around to make more space:

enhance

But this cabin is not a quad, no bunks.  Here is a quad with two bunks, only one in use:

enhance

If you split the beds into the L shape as in my previous pic, the second bed would be below the bunk that is not in use, and the crib/PnP would go under the bunk that is in use, and you could still walk around the cabin.  EM

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Here are a couple of options.  This is an inside cabin on Fascination, but they are the same on Elation.  When we got to the cabin, the beds were split like this:

enhance

But I have been in these cabins before, and I knew you could move the beds around to make more space:

enhance

But this cabin is not a quad, no bunks.  Here is a quad with two bunks, only one in use:

enhance

If you split the beds into the L shape as in my previous pic, the second bed would be below the bunk that is not in use, and the crib/PnP would go under the bunk that is in use, and you could still walk around the cabin.  EM

Thank you for your helpful response! We will play around with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 4:21 PM, cello56 said:

Interesting. My son has only been on RC and he was 2.5 when we went. He slept up in the pullman. That's again where he will sleep on our next Carnival cruise. 

3 hours ago, tracy12502 said:

Interesting. My son has only been on RC and he was 2.5 when we went. He slept up in the pullman. That's again where he will sleep on our next Carnival cruise. 

And you don't worry he'll fall out?

59 minutes ago, akeasley said:

And you don't worry he'll fall out?

Nope. He never fell out of bed at home but we also brought a bed rail, it broke down small enough to go in our suit case. We asked the room steward to just leave the bed out so we didn't have to keep replacing the rail. Also, if he did fall out he would have landed on us as our bed was directly under him. At the head and foot of the bed we just placed a pillow and if he bumped into that he stopped moving.

Hi everyone,
I have a similar (sorta) decision to make, but you’re welcome to let me know if you think it should be a separate topic...

We’re going on Ovation of the Seas in about... 80 days.

We’re in a corner spacious ocean view (11050 i think) and it seems like it’s quite large with an interesting shape. Should be good for our two kids (6 and 3). I think the room only has a pull out sofa, and not any pullmans. (I don’t think I’d want even our six year old in a pullman anyway.)

So our kids sometimes aren’t that great at sharing a bed.

I’m thinking of getting one of those blow up beds (I may have seen them discussed here in the family forum) on Amazon. There are three that get reviewed against each other and people like. One is aero bed and i forget the names of the other two.

They all have some sort of ridge around the edge to help prevent the little one from falling off, and that’s a big reason i like them.

Any thoughts? Anyone brought one of those aboard before? Can we be sure the pump will work with the ship’s outlet? Is there a chance the RCI room steward will say they’re not allowed?

Thanks!

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Hi everyone,
I have a similar (sorta) decision to make, but you’re welcome to let me know if you think it should be a separate topic...

We’re going on Ovation of the Seas in about... 80 days.

We’re in a corner spacious ocean view (11050 i think) and it seems like it’s quite large with an interesting shape. Should be good for our two kids (6 and 3). I think the room only has a pull out sofa, and not any pullmans. (I don’t think I’d want even our six year old in a pullman anyway.)

So our kids sometimes aren’t that great at sharing a bed.

I’m thinking of getting one of those blow up beds (I may have seen them discussed here in the family forum) on Amazon. There are three that get reviewed against each other and people like. One is aero bed and i forget the names of the other two.

They all have some sort of ridge around the edge to help prevent the little one from falling off, and that’s a big reason i like them.

Any thoughts? Anyone brought one of those aboard before? Can we be sure the pump will work with the ship’s outlet? Is there a chance the RCI room steward will say they’re not allowed?

Thanks!

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 3 year old has slept in just a regular twin air mattress when we go camping or go to my in-laws cottage since she was about 21 months, no problem. I would get one of those over a special toddler one especially if your youngest is 3. That way you can use it longer and adults could use it too if needed (not necessarily on the cruise, but in general).

Assuming you are in the USA, the outlets will work fine for an air pump. You could also get a battery operated one if you prefer.

I'm not sure if they are "allowed", but you are allowed to bring your own pack n play, so I don't see how an air mattress would be different.

Hopefully carnival doesn't have an  issue with it b/c RC does...we booked our first Quad Interior for an upcoming cruise..we usually do RC's Ultra Spacious OVs...but this was a last minute cruise so they weren't left and the interior was price was outstanding!!  Royal had my middle's son birth year messed up they had him as a 4 year old and said no to the upper pullman..i questioned why a 7 year old wouldn't be abel to be on one and they said we have no problem with a 7 year old but our policy restricts a 4 year old...well luckily we caught it b/c they had his birth year three years younger!