Noise from laundrette?

zitsky

What cabins are across from the laundrette doors?  Do you hear noise from the door opening and closing?  I am on deck 5 so don't expect much noise except from other cabins.  Just wondering if there is a lot of noise from the laundry room?

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

What cabins are across from the laundrette doors?  Do you hear noise from the door opening and closing?  I am on deck 5 so don't expect much noise except from other cabins.  Just wondering if there is a lot of noise from the laundry room?

Not sure but you can check it out on the deck plans.  I'm not sure what noise people are speaking of. There is a but it certainly has never been loud when I was there.  There were 3 washers and 3 dryers in each launderette that made little noise while running and I never heard a peep out of the irons or ironing board.  There is a love seat but the room does not lend itself to be a gathering spot.  I think at one time I might have been in there with 3 people and we were all taking care of business.  On the first cruise, we passed it quiet often, to and from our cabin.  Last cruise we were on the other end of the ship.  If you are on the starboard side (Odd numbers)there will be no problem. 

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok.  Thanks for all your answers. 

Glad to share what little knowledge I have.  Have you booked a cruise yet?  What deck and size cabin did you get? I see you were asking about the weather in Sept for Mediterranean Odyssey.  Did I pick up you might be traveling as a single?  A room service question.

In general, I have found that noise does not travel on these ships. One disembarkation morning, I thought that there was no one in the corridors only to open the cabin door to see that the corridor was bustling was people going to and from. We took a room near the stairwell once and while it had noise problems, it was not noise from the stairwell. The same goes for the laundry room. In general, Viking pax are quiet. No shouting or singing in the corridors and for some reason, in spite of the ventilation vents in the door, sound just does not penetrate those doors and into the cabins.

However, there are exceptions to this rule as folks who have had cabins directly over Torshavn, the Star Theatre and the tenders have told us in other threads.

Interesting question...we were concerned as our room (deck 5) on deck plan appeared to be directly across from laundry on Orion.  We were told by Viking rep. on phone with our TA that the entrance into laundry was not a direct door, but rather kind of an offshoot hall so you would not hear people coming and going out of laundry.  

In reality….our room was no where near the laundry entrance although that is the way it appeared on deck plan.  The Viking rep however was incorrect, the door into laundry was directly across from staterooms.  I used the laundry room A LOT...so was in and out of there many, many times.  I was so thankful our room was not across from it!!! It was heavily used, and although I do not recall the door causing any noise issues, there were people coming and going from that room constantly.  

During morning cleaning hours, and evening cleaning hours...often the cleaning cart was parked there as well.  It was very crowded coming and going out of laundry.

• 3 months later...

I had to laugh when I read this thread. My room on our cruise to Cuba this Feb was DIRECTLY across from the laundry room. There were absolutely NO problems: no extra traffic, noise, anything. And how it worked for me who's direction-challenged: I'd get off the elevator and look for the laundry sign and always find my room right away. 😚

• Like 1

Our friends had a room directly across from the laundry room on our first Viking cruise together.  They, like Darcy Willoughby, heard nothing. We were two doors away and I too used the laundry sign to navigate. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were directly across from laundry on deck 3 on one VO Cruise. Heard absolutely nothing, although there were people in there quite often.  We were directly across from the forward stairs/elevator on our 2nd VO Cruise. I was really fearful there would be noise there because in addition to the stairs and elevator it’s almost over Torshavn. Didn’t hear a thing in that cabin either. In fact I deliberately booked the same cabin for our Baltic Cruise next summer. Loved the location... since I am SERIOUSLY direction impaired 🤪 it was perfect for me, I could see the cabin door when I got off the elevator!