NYC Logistics

misseditor

My family of four are fairly experienced cruisers, but because we live in Florida, we are accustomed to driving to the port on the morning of the cruise and walking right on. We booked a New England/Canada cruise for October 2019 and are trying to figure out the logistics of departing from a non-Florida port.

We are thinking we want to fly into Newark the day before the cruise leaves. That way we have some extra cushion time in case there are flight issues.  We see that there are several nearby hotels that offer shuttles to/from the airport, hotel, and port.  We haven't booked our flights yet, so we could actually fly into whichever airport would be best.

The other part of the puzzle is that none of us have been to NYC before, so we want to take advantage of being so close. We are thinking of spending the first afternoon there, and potentially a day or so after the cruise returns.  Our kids will be 5 and 7 years old and we do not plan on bringing their car seats to have to store on board. What would be the best way to get from the Newark/hotel/port area into the city?  Are there subway stops that will go from there all the way into NYC?  

I appreciate any insight you can give!

1 hour ago, misseditor said:
My family of four are fairly experienced cruisers, but because we live in Florida, we are accustomed to driving to the port on the morning of the cruise and walking right on. We booked a New England/Canada cruise for October 2019 and are trying to figure out the logistics of departing from a non-Florida port.

We are thinking we want to fly into Newark the day before the cruise leaves. That way we have some extra cushion time in case there are flight issues.  We see that there are several nearby hotels that offer shuttles to/from the airport, hotel, and port.  We haven't booked our flights yet, so we could actually fly into whichever airport would be best.

The other part of the puzzle is that none of us have been to NYC before, so we want to take advantage of being so close. We are thinking of spending the first afternoon there, and potentially a day or so after the cruise returns.  Our kids will be 5 and 7 years old and we do not plan on bringing their car seats to have to store on board. What would be the best way to get from the Newark/hotel/port area into the city?  Are there subway stops that will go from there all the way into NYC?  

I appreciate any insight you can give!

What is your hotel budget? What are your bed size requirements?  2 queens are hard to come by in a hotel that has good access to NYC.  Could you do 2 doubles?  What exact dates would you be doing this?

Staying at an airport hotel will cost you $13/pp adults and either $3.50 or $9 per child each way by NJ Transit train. Web site says the $5.50 Newark Airport access fee is not charged for children, but it is not specific.  Uber to Newark Penn Station might be better because the fare from there is $5.25/pp adults and $2.45/child 5-11.

18 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The problem with uber/car service is that 5 and 7 year olds need to be in car seats/boosters in NJ (not NYC cabs).

Excellent point. Car seats are required in NJ. They may have to haul them along whether they want to or not.

18 minutes ago, 138east said:

Excellent point. Car seats are required in NJ. They may have to haul them along whether they want to or not.

I think a couple of bubblegums might work, so they don’t have to lug 2 boosters around manhattan. I remember booking car service to the airport years ago, the driver made me bring 2 boosters for my 5 year old twins, and this was a decade ago.

16 minutes ago, boo214 said:

check out the Hilton Newark penn station. you can take the train from there into nyc

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/reservation/book.htm?execution=e2s1

The Hilton Penn Station would be fine, but it only offers 2 double beds.  Free Airport shuttle.  Easy access to NJ Transit Train and PATH public transit.  Car seats required only to cab or Uber to Cape Liberty - no need for them in Manhattan if you go in by public transit.

Your exact dates, budget, and bed size requirements are important.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, 138east said:

What is your hotel budget? What are your bed size requirements?  2 queens are hard to come by in a hotel that has good access to NYC.  Could you do 2 doubles?  What exact dates would you be doing this?

Staying at an airport hotel will cost you $13/pp adults and either $3.50 or $9 per child each way by NJ Transit train. Web site says the $5.50 Newark Airport access fee is not charged for children, but it is not specific.  Uber to Newark Penn Station might be better because the fare from there is $5.25/pp adults and $2.45/child 5-11.

We don't necessarily have a budget for the room. Not that we have unlimited funds to spend, but we aren't familiar with what the going rates would be.

We could manage two double beds if we needed to.

Our cruise is from October 24 - November 2.  So we need a room for October 23, and possibly November 2-3 ish. 

The reality is that staying in NJ is going to run about $250-300/night tax included and Manhattan is going to be significantly higher.  There are some more budget choices in NJ which still have good transportation options.

For your arrival night look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton or the Robert Treat as a more budget choice.  This will give you a free airport shuttle and good access to Newark Penn Station to go directly to midtown NY on NJ Transit or directly to downtown  NY on PATH.  Car Service with car seats from the hotel to the port.

I have stayed at the Robert Treat and the Courtyard Newport and would recommend them.

For your post cruise night(s) look at the Courtyard Newport in Jersey City which is next to the Newport PATH Station with direct service to 33rd & 6th in Manhattan or service to lower Manhattan via transfer at Grove St on a weekend day.  A more budget choice in Jersey City is Candlewood Suites.  Both these hotels could be reached by accessible light rail from 34th St Bayonne, but you need Uber or a shuttle to get to the station.

Thank you all so much for your advice. We're going to book the Newark Penn Station Hilton, which looks like the easiest logistically.  It'll certainly be an adventure trading our Florida golf cart for trains and Ubers, but we're looking forward to it!

9 minutes ago, misseditor said:

Thank you all so much for your advice. We're going to book the Newark Penn Station Hilton, which looks like the easiest logistically.  It'll certainly be an adventure trading our Florida golf cart for trains and Ubers, but we're looking forward to it!

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf - 34th St Bayonne is 2 miles from the pier.

I actually just found an advisory for PATH weekend service for 2019.  This has the potential to affect me in 2 weeks, but I will work around it if necessary.  I’m going to start another thread about it on this forum.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-path-weekend-closures.html