Nine Ports in Nine Days on the Pacific Princess

grandmaR

I generally write a journal when I am on a trip, and when I get home I put pictures to it (I take photos of all the food) and post it on the internet.  We did the Caribbean Connoisseur cruise on the Pacific Princess over Christmas and New Years.  I am halfway through writing up the ports.  We do cemetery documentation - we visit cemeteries and take photos of the gravestones and post them on the internet, so you can skip that part of these posts without missing much.

Checking In and Checking Out the Pacific Princess

Two Days at Sea 

Christmas in St. Barts

Boxing Day in Antigua

Tiny Terre-de-Haut

Five Cemeteries and a Hot Dog in Martinique

All the Hairpin Turns in Tobago

I'm working on Barbados and still have Bequia (The Grenadines), Dominica and Virgin Gorda to do.

Edited by grandmaR

Looking forward to your links, thanks! 
From someone who is an amateur genealogist, I truly appreciate your contribution to the gravestones!  I've had people go out in hurricane warnings to get cemetery pics for me so I know how dedicated you all can be.  They really do help so many people that you may never know of! 

6 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Looking forward to your links, thanks! 
From someone who is an amateur genealogist, I truly appreciate your contribution to the gravestones!  I've had people go out in hurricane warnings to get cemetery pics for me so I know how dedicated you all can be.  They really do help so many people that you may never know of! 

Thank you.

The first page of the narrative is on the drive down to the port, but I figured most people on CC would be more interested in the cruise ship stuff.  We stopped on the way down and took about 350 photo in a cemetery in Selma NC which I was working on until we got to St. Barts.  I still have over 100 of those photos to process. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I am curious as to why you visit cemeteries in the ports and why you and your DH take so many photos in the cemeteries that you visit.

I started doing cemetery documentation back in 2002.  I go to cemeteries and take photos of the gravestones and post them into a database.  This allows people who can't visit all the cemeteries where their relatives are buried to see what the grave looks like.  (It is a source for genealogists).  My interest is primarily in the photography part of the site.  My husband decided to get himself a camera and join me in taking photos.

So when I travel, especially to places where I have already seen most of the sights of the area, I will go to the cemeteries and take photos.  It gives me a different insight into the culture of the people.  Some people do this by eating at cafes where local people eat or by staying in the homes of the local people.  I do it by taking photos in cemeteries.

Also in the case of the Caribbean, both my husband and I have had melanomas, and so while the goal of many people is the beach, we avoid beaches except maybe to look at from an air conditioned car as we drive by.  I love to swim and in the past I did scuba dive, but my lungs have been scarred by asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia and I don't think diving would be a good idea as it takes me two minutes to get my breath back when I have walked 400 feet.  So snorkeling is possible but it is a big effort.  And I really have never cared to sit on the beach and get hot and sweaty and have sand stick to me. 

I've finished the last two sea days and disembarkation https://grandmaxmascruise.travellerspoint.com/21/

Edited by grandmaR
  • Like 1

Great photos and blog. Nice format.

Some trips I have created a blog and others I haven't. I went back to search for a blog recently from a trip 10 years ago and was glad I did it. I wish I had done it on other trips so I can re-live those trips as well. 

Thank you for your reply, GrandmaR.

Visiting cemeteries in other countries/states is a way to understand the culture and history of a place. 

You are also providing a service for genealogists and for people searching for information about relatives who have passed away.

I wish you and your hubby continued good travels.

• 2 weeks later...

My  Review of the Cruise

I didn't include in the review (because I didn't find out until after I wrote it)

Bob said that the reason he had to charge his razor in the cabin was that the plug in the bathroom did not work.  He also said that on Italian night, the only Italian thing in the buffet was pizza

Edited by grandmaR