Using baby monitor onboard

Vieliar

We're leaving in less than 2 weeks for a cruise on the Millie...we have a Fisher PRice 900mHz monitor https://www.evababygear.com/best-baby-monitors/ ...we've used it at bed n breakfasts & numerous hotels so we could swim in the pool while the baby slept (she is now 20 mos old). It has worked thru 2 floors of major hotels....any chance it would work on a cruise ship?

Our cabin is almost directly below the pool (actually, right below the spa, but near the pool) and we were thinking about bringing it for the same reason...for afternoon naptime, we can go up one level and hang out at the pool while she sleeps.

Anybody tried it before?

Thanks!

I doubt it would work due to the ship’s steel structure. You could sit on your balcony and be able to use it. You really should know that multiple people have access to your cabin during the day. Do you really want to leave your child alone?  Sorry, old granny here, but have you never heard of Madeline McCann?

• Like 3

I would definitely not leave my kids unattended in the cabin. What about bringing a stroller that reclines with a shade, so baby can nap in the pool area? 

I wouldn't trust the baby monitor. DH and I have looked into bringing walkie talkies so we can split up, but still communicate (daughter can go in pools, but son can't), but I have seen many mixed reviews. It seems you need to be in the right place at the right time for those types of things to work.

• Like 2

As others have noted, a ship is totally different than a hotel.  Your cabin is steel, it is surrounded by the steel structure of the decks and bulkheads that make up the ship, the doors are steel, the pool is steel.  All of this steel makes even getting wifi or audio (radio) signals to cover any distance without special features (repeater antenna tuned to the radio's frequency), let alone video.  I would not expect a video baby monitor to work over more than one or two cabins away (maybe 15 feet).  The higher frequency of the monitor's signal is also worse for steel penetration than lower frequencies used for audio radios and the wattage of these monitors is low, also reducing the ability to penetrate steel.

OMG!  The pool is way to far from your child...no way...don't do that!

The ship's cabins have metal walls, the floors and ceilings are metal....you probably won't get coverage more than 10 ft away.  Teach your little one to nap in a stroller and take them with you!

• Like 2

I used the baby monitor while my wife was putting the baby to sleep to make sure the baby was asleep when I came back to relieve her so she could go see the show. Didn't want to walk in and wake up the baby. But I would lose signal within 20ft of the room. Too much interference.

Baby monitors weren't made to withstand the interference on a cruise ship. I'm guessing it will not work for you.

Also, during the day, the cruise ship employees will have access to your room to clean, make beds, etc. What if your little one wakes up while one of the employees is in the room. It will scare her to death.

So I recently saw that baby monitors were not allowed on Royal caribbean.  I was planning to bring one that was WiFi so we could keep an eye on baby while we hung out in my parents room next door but not sure that that will even be an option.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, Vieliar said:

We're leaving in less than 2 weeks for a cruise on the Millie...we have a Fisher PRice 900mHz monitor https://www.evababygear.com/best-baby-monitors/ ...we've used it at bed n breakfasts & numerous hotels so we could swim in the pool while the baby slept (she is now 20 mos old). It has worked thru 2 floors of major hotels....any chance it would work on a cruise ship?

Our cabin is almost directly below the pool (actually, right below the spa, but near the pool) and we were thinking about bringing it for the same reason...for afternoon naptime, we can go up one level and hang out at the pool while she sleeps.

Anybody tried it before?

Thanks!

The monitor will probably (can't guarantee) work between cabins very close by. I just don't know how comfortable I'd feel leaving the baby alone in the cabin since crew can get in the cabin at will since they have keys (room steward, mini bar staff, etc.).
When we traveled with my sister in law, she planned to take a walkie-talkie at least, but they're pretty worthless if you need to hear what's going on inside your cabin when your kid is too small to use it. Maybe you should hire a babysitter, as we did? 

4 hours ago, reggid said:

The monitor will probably (can't guarantee) work between cabins very close by. I just don't know how comfortable I'd feel leaving the baby alone in the cabin since crew can get in the cabin at will since they have keys (room steward, mini bar staff, etc.).
When we traveled with my sister in law, she planned to take a walkie-talkie at least, but they're pretty worthless if you need to hear what's going on inside your cabin when your kid is too small to use it. Maybe you should hire a babysitter, as we did? 

The OP sailed in Feb.  EM

• 6 months later...

I used a video baby monitor on Explorer of the seas several years ago.  My daughter was 10 and my boys were 9.  They were in an inside cabin right next to us.  It worked great.  We couldn't get connecting cabins.  I didn't let them hang out in the room when we weren't in our cabin.  They had to come with us, go to the kids club or be otherwise occupied in a public space, but I wanted to be able to hear and see anyone entering or leaving their cabin.