Ideas for San Antonio, Texas?

FlyingFlip

I realize it's a bit land-locked, but I was wondering if anyone has thoughts regarding photography spots in San Antonio.  I'll be there in about a week or so.  I'll have two mornings, and I intend to spend at least one of them photographing the missions (Espada, San Juan, San Jose, and Concepcion).  I'll likely wander around the Riverwalk some as well, though I don't have a preferred time of day for that.  I will likely be spending the evenings with my wife, rather than taking photographs.

I'm primarily trying to practice with a couple used cameras that I recently purchased: Panasonic ZS60 and Sony RX100 II.  Given my cameras and interests, suggestions for any of the following types of photography would be appreciated:

• Landscapes & architecture
  • Birds / wildlife
  • Macro photography
  • Infrared photography
  • Indoor (just in case the weather is terrible)

Though if anyone has other ideas that are too good to pass up, I'm open to other suggestions.

21 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

I was always underwhelmed by the Alamo, but it certainly is historic and worth a quick visit.

If you can get out of town a bit, Hill Country can provide some wonderful landscapes.

I visited the Alamo about 30 years ago.  While it was fascinating to visit due to the history, I recall that it wasn't the most picturesque location.

Do you have any thoughts about particular spots in the Hill Country?  It's definitely an interesting possibility.

I might check out the Tower of the Americas if the weather is terrible.  That might produce something a bit different than the average photo I've seen taken from the observation deck.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone..

20 hours ago, FlyingFlip said:

I visited the Alamo about 30 years ago.  While it was fascinating to visit due to the history, I recall that it wasn't the most picturesque location.

Do you have any thoughts about particular spots in the Hill Country?  It's definitely an interesting possibility.

I might check out the Tower of the Americas if the weather is terrible.  That might produce something a bit different than the average photo I've seen taken from the observation deck.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone..

It was more than a few years ago.  We stayed at the Hyatt for a long weekend before or after a conference, and I would get out real early and drive until I saw something I liked.  Sorry I don't remember more details.

Your timing is probably off for really good shots in the Hill Country. If you were going in April, I'd have a lot of suggestions for wildflowers. Having said that, if you're into photographing buildings, there's the old courthouse in Blanco, the various buildings in Gruene (New Braunfels), a lot of limestone buildings in Fredericksburg and the Nimitz house (National Museum of the Pacific War). There are potentially some beautiful shots along the Blanco River between Blanco and Fredericksburg. Etc...

The Alamo can be underwhelming; you have this mental image of a mission along the river. In fact, it's surrounded by buildings. But, if you know anything about those buildings, it's a treasure trove. To the right of the Alamo is the Menger Hotel. This is where Teddy Roosevelt organized the Rough Riders. It's hard to isolate from the surroundings, but it's a great building. The bar inside is wonderful. At twilight, go to the bridge over the Riverwalk extension from the Rivercenter Mall and look right. All those multi-colored umbrellas are Casa Rio, the oldest restaurant on the Riverwalk and one of the most photographed scenes in San Antonio. And the grounds of the Alamo have an amazing collection of native Texas plants.

I don't know how much effort is involved, but the Quadrangle at Fort Sam Houston is apparently open  to the public, and is very photogenic. There are typically peacocks, whitetail deer, and potentially other species of "wildlife" in and amongst the limestone buildings and a wonderful clock tower.

There's also a very cool Texas botanical gardens just outside Fort Sam.

That's off the top of my head...

(Stationed at Fort Sam Houston for 5 years. Love San Antonio!)

Edited by markeb

On 1/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, markeb said:

If you were going in April, I'd have a lot of suggestions for wildflowers. Having said that, if you're into photographing buildings, there's [...] the various buildings in Gruene (New Braunfels) [...]. Etc...

I've been through the hill country a few times during wildflower season.  Definitely no shortage of places to get fields of bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, etc.

Gruene is an excellent suggestion.  It's not much of a detour when I drive home.

To the right of the Alamo is the Menger Hotel. This is where Teddy Roosevelt organized the Rough Riders. It's hard to isolate from the surroundings, but it's a great building. The bar inside is wonderful. At twilight, go to the bridge over the Riverwalk extension from the Rivercenter Mall and look right. All those multi-colored umbrellas are Casa Rio, the oldest restaurant on the Riverwalk and one of the most photographed scenes in San Antonio. And the grounds of the Alamo have an amazing collection of native Texas plants.

All of those are practically next to the hotel, so I'll keep them in mind.  I can always grab a drink and work on my photography simultaneously at the Menger Hotel.

For Casa Rio, why twilight?  I'm looking at Google Maps, and it looks like the building next to it would put it into shadow ... and block any view of the sunset.  I'm guessing there's something else that's not obvious from looking at a map....

I don't know how much effort is involved, but the Quadrangle at Fort Sam Houston is apparently open  to the public, and is very photogenic. There are typically peacocks, whitetail deer, and potentially other species of "wildlife" in and amongst the limestone buildings and a wonderful clock tower.

It looks like a 15 minute drive ... so ... very little effort.  Again, thanks for the suggestion.  The "wildlife" should provide good practice for taking photos of actual wildlife later this year.

1 hour ago, FlyingFlip said:

For Casa Rio, why twilight?  I'm looking at Google Maps, and it looks like the building next to it would put it into shadow ... and block any view of the sunset.  I'm guessing there's something else that's not obvious from looking at a map....

There are multicolored lights along that section of the Riverwalk, and they usually set off nicely with the umbrellas and the whole atmosphere of the area. Wander by during the day as well, then head back later and see.

Do check the requirements to get into the Quadrangle. It shows open to the public, but you'll probably have to park off post along New Braunfels and walk over, with at least one ID, and be prepared for a bag check (unless you're affiliated with DOD and have an ID).

I just wanted to follow up.

I ended up spending less time in San Antonio (and much less time doing photography) than I had originally anticipated.  But I spent a full morning photographing the missions.

I caught Mission Espada under near-perfect conditions (right time, great light, great sky).  Based on my initial review of the photos, I got some really special ones.

Mission San Juan is a little plain, but some of the outlying buildings might become great photos.  I also did some EV bracketing, which might result great photos in post-production.  It at least allows me to attempt something new.

Mission San Jose was closed, due to the shutdown.  Unlike the other missions, it has a wall, which got in the way of most photos.

Mission Concepcion was beautiful, though it was well past golden hour.  I still think some of the photos will turn out well.  I also got some practice with wildlife when a woodpecker caught my attention.

I didn't bother with Tower of the Americas.  Our hotel room was on the 35th floor, so I got some great shots overlooking the Riverwalk during blue hour, right after we got to our room the previous evening.

After visiting the missions, I walked along the Riverwalk to the San Fernando Cathedral.  Some fool was flying his drone in most of my photos of the cathedral, so I'll get practice editing it out.

I had lunch at Casa Rio.  While waiting for my wife, I got to practice "wildlife" photos on the ducks and grackles.  After lunch, my wife spotted a red-shouldered hawk along the Riverwalk, which provided more practice.

We went up to Menger Hotel.  The architecture was definitely worth the visit.  The bar, in particular, provided some great practice with low-light photography.  (And my wife is a lot more patient with my photography when she's sipping on a beer.)

We also wandered by the front of the Alamo.  On a lark, I decided to do something different than the other tourists, so I pulled out the infrared filter for the older camera.  One of the photos looks like it might work after the processing and post-processing are complete.

There wasn't enough time for anything else, but thanks for all of the suggestions.

Edited by FlyingFlip

I found that the Cathedral does a beautiful light show showing history of San Antonio!

Taking  pictures around the Cathedral Square is beautiful.

Many have also mentioned the Riverwalk but if you walk up to the waterfall. Just after the waterfall is the Arsenal which is now HEB Headquarters. Beautiful.

Taking pictures from Top of the Americas is nice. It cost to go to the observatory but afternoons they have a Happy hour just below observatory and free to go there. View is just as good!