DIY Genoa

jeanandmark

We are looking to do some self guided walking tours, some are listed on the gpsmycity.com... City Orientation, Via Garibaldi Palace tours, Cafes and Gelato. We would also love to do the seaside promenade walk out of Nervi. Think we need to take the train or a bus for this.  Any one have any comments or suggestions/directions?  Is this doable? We are in port from 7am-9pm in May.

Thanks

I did the HOHO in Genoa, but got off at several stops and walked around those areas.  BTW, there is (or was) a gelato place to the left (west) of the cruise terminal and across the street (not more than a block away).  Kind of a hole in the wall, but good gelato!

• 3 weeks later...

Your topic says DIY Genoa, yet you are talking about places outside of Genoa.

We were in Genoa in December for a day stop. We had never been here and, at first, read all the stuff about things out of the city, well, we opted to stay in town and you know what, Genoa turned out to be our favorite port of the entire cruise. Why, I really can't say, but we wandered all about on our own, had a small map, but we just loved wandering the really small narrow streets, stopping in shops along the way. We also wanted to do the funicular to the top of the city, which we found and used. We found a wonderful little restaurant for lunch, had a luscious gelato in the afternoon. 

Genoa is a city that should be explored. We did and loved it.

Cheers

Len

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Len

Can you tell me, when ship docks at Geneo did you have to get a taxi or transfer into the town? Will be cruising there in couple of weeks and really wanted to go to Portifino for the day but now left it to late to arrange this so your day in Geneo caught my eye!

I will be travelling with my Mum on MSC and would like to know how you got into town? If you did get a taxi what landmark did you ask for that was central place to go from and then get back to the ship?

Many thanks

Hayley