Beaches within walking distance to pier

boblerm

We are going to be cruising with our 2 year old grandson, and am only now coming to the realization that transporting a little one around safely is an issue.

We can bring a car seat, but I am not sure that I can assume that taxis on the islands will necessarily have seat belts to attach them to.  So I am looking into walkable beach options.

My recollection of Antigua is that there are not any beaches that one can walk to from pier, is that correct?

What about water taxi?

Edited by boblerm

20 hours ago, boblerm said:

We are going to be cruising with our 2 year old grandson, and am only now coming to the realization that transporting a little one around safely is an issue.

We can bring a car seat, but I am not sure that I can assume that taxis on the islands will necessarily have seat belts to attach them to.  So I am looking into walkable beach options.

My recollection of Antigua is that there are not any beaches that one can walk to from pier, is that correct?

What about water taxi?

I will be there next week with a 14 m/o and 3 y/o, I will let you know when we get back 🙂

43 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

I will be there next week with a 14 m/o and 3 y/o, I will let you know when we get back 🙂

Thanks Cathi007, I will look forward to your response. Have a great time! 

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old topic but wondering if you all were able to find something to do at Antigua. Based on what I’ve read here, there were no walkable beaches. We really don’t want to bring the car seat and I dont want to have my daughter ride without one. 

10 hours ago, Koali said:

I know this is an old topic but wondering if you all were able to find something to do at Antigua. Based on what I’ve read here, there were no walkable beaches. We really don’t want to bring the car seat and I dont want to have my daughter ride without one. 

To arrange your requirements, contact the Taxi Assocation 

TEL+1 (268) 723 - 5745 
EMAILstjohnstaxi@hotmail.com
ADDRESS: Heritage Quay St. John's

11 hours ago, Koali said:

Hi Kaoli,

I do not believe that there are any beaches within walking distance to the pier in Antigua.  We ended up going to Beach Limerz, there is a lengthy thread about this place here https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2137130-beach-limerz/

My report in in post #90.

My daughter and son-in-law are also loathe to bring the little one anywhere that he is not properly secured in a car seat, however we decided to go to Beach Limerz, here is why:

-It is a very short ride from the pier, I believe it was 5 minutes or so

-The owner, Gail, arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the pier, someone that she knew well, and knew was responsible and reliable, and would drive very safely

-The ride there is only on side streets, no high speed highways or such

For these reasons, we felt confident to bring our little one buckled in the back, we all felt very good about this decision and had a wonderful time.

I'd be happy to answer any questions (with the proviso that it was nearly a year ago, and I might not remember all that much 🤔.

But my wife probably will.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bob

Just came back from Antigua.  No beaches walking distance from the cruise port.

Somewhat sad since they said there are 365 beaches, one per day, in Antigua...not one near the terminal...go figure.

The closest beach, we believe, was Dickensons Bay/Beach...cost $7/person...could be cheaper if you keep walking past the hundreds of vendors offering taxis and tour around the island.

Note: The "round the island" tour we were on was in an air conditioned van but we were packed in there like sardines...cost $25/person...not recommended for a small child/baby.

Dickenson Bay is 3 USD per person one way in shared mini nus type taxi.

For deviles bridge + english bay + beach time 5 hour tour, we rented 22 seater for 250 USD.

Should have stayed on the ship and enjoyed it.

Most british west indies islands look so similar.