Explorer of Sea 9 Day Eastern Theme Nights?

Sweetspot

We've cruised 4 times on the Disney Magic and found it easy to find information as they only have 2 ships and are consistant with themes, menus, etc. I've been completely prepared for our cruise each time and find it almost impossible to do the same with RCCL because of the amount of ships and itineraries.

One DCL they have Pirates Night, Formal, Semi Formal, etc. Is there a formula for RCCL. How do you know how many formal nights or if there are theme nights so you can be prepared? Is there a reservation rush for Portofinos and shows or is this something we don't have to worry about too much? Do we have to preregister our kids for kids clubs or is that done when they go the first night? Do they give you beepers for the kids clubs and are they based on age or all in one group?

We are in the Royal Suite and have given up trying to get information on perks because it seems there is no rhyme or reason to what is offered on any given day. Any tips or hints about this room and perks (or any tips about EOS is general) would really be appreciated.

Themed nights vary from ship to ship, thus why you can't find any concrete information about it. Themes include Caribbean night, Country Western night, Decades night (70's & 80's) etc. Generally the themes cordinate with the dinner menu of the evening. Also certain decorations on the ship will cordinate with the nights theme, giving you a clue to what it is (cowboy hats = country). You'll be told the on the day of what the nights theme and menu options are. There's no set schedule for themes, and I'm sure Royal Caribbean can change things at a moment's notice, so plan the best you can, and just have fun!

If you're dining in the main dinning room, your server will give you information about the next days meal options and what the theme's will be. To get more information about what is up for your whole trip, you might want to ask your waiter what is planned for your 9 days.

I've heard Portifino's books fast, so call to make a reservation as soon as you get on board. According to rccl.com 7 - 9 night cruises include 2 formal nights, 2 smart casual nights and 5 casual nights. Check rccl.com to find other information. I sailed on Explorer last February and loved it. It's a very nice ship, I'm sure you'll LOVE the Royal Suite.

Please do pre-register your children for the Adventure Ocean program if the pre-register option is available. I'm not familiar with the Adventure Ocean program, but you can find more information on rccl.com There is no reservation needed for the production shows in the Palace Theater, however you will need to reserve tickets to the Planet Ice show in Studio B. When you get on board to your room, call Studio B (they'll give you the information in your Cruise Compass daily planner) to reserve tickets. You and your family will LOVE it, it is not to be missed. The Palace Theater holds at least 1,000 people, so there's no rush on seating, most shows start at 8:30 - 9 for the early dinner seating. Seats are comfortable and the shows are really good. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you Tyler80 for the information. I would guess then that it isn't expected that you dress for the theme nights if they aren't standard. On the Magic they have a Pirated Night and many people like to dress for dinner and the deck party.

Also, does anyone know when the average time they allow you to board the ship is? I've read that it's not suppose to start boarding until after 1:00 but then I've read that others have gotten on as early as 11:30. We are leaving out of Bayonne. Is there a certain time when they allow you into the parking lot? Anyone have any tips about leaving out of Bayonne?

Is it possible to ask for a location in the dining room? We've never been near a window in all our cruises and would love to have a window view this time. Are the shows put on once for early and once for late seating or is if there's a show during dinner you miss it?

I hope this info is useful Sweetspot. Some people dress for the themed nights, and other people don't. If you dine in the main dinning room you'll see people that over dress every night (which is fine) and people that come nicely dressed each night, and then you'll see those who barely make the recommended dress requirements. There is no requirement to dress up for themed nights. If you don't pack for the themes, you can always pick up something while you're at port. I did that while I was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I needed a country cowboy hat, so I bought one there and brought it back to the ship. Royal Caribbean automatically places people at tables, you'll have a reserved table number that you'll get when you check in. You can move from your assigned table. You'll need to ask about that during check in, they will give you the information for doing that.

When I boarded in Miami boarding started at 11am and rooms weren't ready until 1pm. Since you'll be staying in the Royal Suite, your room might be ready before 1pm.

So when you check in you'll be given a table number and a seating time, either early seating or late seating. Hopefully you'll get the seating time you requested if you requested one. The evenings entertainment is presented twice, once for both seatings. Late seating people see the show while the first seating is having dinner and then it swaps for the late seating people. On Explorer there are 2 Full Production Shows (History Repeating and Fast Forward - Hopefully the shows haven't changed since I was on on board) which are high energy dance and music variety shows. Other evening entertainment might include a comedian, ventriliquist (sp?) or other performers which vary per cruise. The Planet Ice (ice skating) Show is presented 2 or 3 times, so that everyone on board can see it, and you'll need to reserve tickets (free tickets) to that. Your Cruise Compass Daily Planner will let you know when the production and ice skating shows are and will give you a phone number to call to reserve tickets to the ice show. I hope you enjoy your cruise with Royal Caribbean!

We are going on the Explorer out of Bayonne in Aug. We went on the Voyager last Aug. out of there. Basically the same deal. We got to the ship about 11:30, parked the car, waited about an hour to get on the ship. Pre-register kids as you're getting on the ship. They're split into age groups. I think 3-5, 6-9, 10-12, etc. Maybe you get pagers for little kids, not sure. They have kids dinner nights where they take the kids to Johnny Rockets for dinner. We went to Portofinos that night. We signed up for Portofinos the 1st afternoon when we went to the Windjammer for lunch, there was no one there so we got the night we wanted. Don't know much about suites, we had an aft and this time will have a hump on deck 9. Ice show is great, you just have to get on line for tickets. My son and husband also went ice skating, make sure to bring long pants for that. Dinner - we were seated at a large table, which was ok because it gives you a lot of people to talk to. There were 2 formals nights and the rest were pretty casual.

Thank you both for the information!! I'm use to being completely prepared when we cruise. I guess this time I have to learn as I go.

Is there a charge to park in Bayonne? Do you call for Portofino reservations or is there a place to go to get them? Is it even worth going there? Also on DCL they have a pizza place, a hamburger & chicken nugget place, a fresh fruit, salad & sandwich place and self serv ice cream on the deck with the pools. Does RCCL also offer this or are the only place to grab lunch, etc the Windjammer or room service? Do they have a drink station or do you need to buy soda cards?

Amazing how many little questions can be asked. Thank you again for taking the time to answer some of them for me.

Sweetspot: There are free ice cream machines in the Royal Promenade (the mall in the middle of the ship) and outside by the enterance to the pool areas. I believe the outside ice cream stands are called something like Artic Freeze. If you can't find them ask a bar attendent. The ship is HUGE so you'll be exploring, literally, for hours!

If you drink a lot of soda (Coke Products) then you would be better off purchasing a drink card. If you're like me, I can drink 2 or 3 glasses of soda at 1 meal, so I purchased the drink card during my first day. When you get on board, they'll have stations set up in the Royal Promenade and by the Windjammer Cafe to sign up for the drink cards.

You can either call Portifino's from your room or, if it is open, go directly to the restaurant (which is next to the Windjammer Cafe) and make reservations there. You'll find the number in the Cruise Compass daily planner. Remember: Portifino's menu is the same every day (like a regular restaurant) unlike the main dining room in which the menu changes every day. You'll get a good dining experiece either in the Portifino or the main dining room. Also there will be some type of entertainment in the main dining room (waiters singing and dancing) each night during the middle to the end of the cruise. I don't know if there is entertainment in Portifino's.

The back of the Windjammer Cafe turns into the Island Grill. The Island Grill serves the same food as the Windjammer Cafe and is a free buffett which also has a bar. It's basicially all one huge buffett, just 2 seperately decorated areas with different names. You can get drinks at the Island Grill Bar (soda and alcoholic) or a server can get you a drink when you sit down. There are self serve drink stations too in the buffett area.

Inside the Windjammer & Island Grill buffetts, you'll find fresh pizza, make your own burgers, chicken nuggets, sandwitches, a full salad bar with a seperate fruit, dessert area and more! Room service is also available which features regular dining room selections as well as burgers, pizza and other buffett items. There is no menu in the staterooms. Just call room service to find out what is available. Take advantage of this if you can because room service is free.

JanetScho: Children do not have to eat in the main dining room each night, no does really. You can have dinner in the buffet you want! There is also a Johnny Rockets on board, so you could eat there too. I do believe there is a special kids dinner one night with the parents that takes place in the Windjammer Cafe. I don't know if the Adventure Ocean program serves meals to children or not.

There is a charge for parking in Bayonne. I think it was $12 a day, it was worth it for us, because we were in our car and home in about 1/2 hour. We were one of the people who got paint on our car last summer (don't know if you saw that thread), but it's been taken care of and I doubt Bayonne will ever let it happen again, they had to lay out too much money.

We stopped at Portofino when we went for lunch at the Windjammer the 1st afternoon. It is definitely worth it!!!!! We went one of the nights they took the kids to Johnny Rockets with AO. The food was yummy!!!!

On the Promenade they serve pizza, little sandwichs, cookies, etc. almost all day long (free).

We did buy a soda card for my son.

Archived