1-17-19 Thursday Weigh-In...Have you Started The New Year Right?

Belle

Have you started the new year right

Have you tried to eat right with all your might

Did a detour get in the way

Well get back on the road I say

After the holidays sometimes it takes a few starts

Even if we want to be good with all our heart

Never give up soon pounds will be lost on Thursday

Then we will be happy each in our own way

Know it's hard not eating the food we like all the time

Just think the weight we will lose plus saving our dimes 

Know we will have loss's gains and stay the sames

Each week there will be ups and downs in this weight game

In the long run loss's will be ours with a big smile

With eating right and walking those miles

• Like 1

This was a good week for me - down 2.2# since last week. 

The big home projects are done until the spring, now I just need to figure where to put everything we relocated (hopefully a lot of it will leave the house completely.

I prepped a bunch of fruits and veggies the other day after grocery shopping - hopefully this will help when snack moods hit.  I still need to get better with the cardio - maybe now that the contractors are gone I can start using the treadmill more.  I have been getting some light walks in on it though, progress not perfection right?

• Like 1

Good Morning everyone ... I lost 1# this week ... wanted more ... sometimes it seems to take too long ... I kept to my calories for this week and went to the gym 4 times.  Good thing is that I am now officially "just" overweight instead of "obese" ...

I'll keep plugging away ... I leave for my cruise in 12 weeks ... and really want to lose 15# by then ... but will take whatever ....  Hope everyone had a good week.  

Great job pacruise.  Diana nice there was no gain!  Belle thanks for the poem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacruise804 said:

Good job everyone!  Jan, I'm looking forward to the day when my BMI says "overweight" instead of obese also (was there a few years ago, but let it creep up :classic_angry:). 

Good luck with your plateaus, Diana & Dave.

BMI is so inaccurate and outdated. It doesn't take muscle weight into account for instance.... For me it has me at obese even though I have very muscular legs..

I think that's why husband's insurance benchmark has overweight as one of the goals and not "normal" weight range, due to how much BMI doesn't factor.  Either way, at 5'4" and ~200# I need to get some of this weight off my frame.  I felt great and looked pretty good at 155 a few years ago - better than 135-145 in high school/college.  BMI would have me at ~140 I think to be "healthy" (and could go as low as ~115😳), but I think I will be healthier around 145-150.

Pacruise - I agree ... I feel the best when I'm about 15# more than what is a "normal" weight, had a few years ago, I got down to "normal" and it was too difficult to maintain it.  (So, I gave up, which is why I'm back to trying to be healthy).

My daughter is getting re-married in September ... this will be her first big wedding and I would love to be able to wear a dress where I don't have to have a lot of extra material covering my stomach!  Been doing lots of crunches at the gym ... plus walking on the treadmill.  Jan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, winewanderer said:

I am only a few lbs. from "normal" BMI. Just slightly still in the overweight section. I keep trying to get there, ugh, it's just so hard. 

At least we are all trying. 

Diana

Diana - Now wonderful that you are almost there .... know how difficult it is to keep trying ... but, keep trying!!!  Jan

• Like 1

Hi All.  You all are doing so good. Loss's and staying the sames. 

I to am a stay the same. No gains so far.

One time talking to a doctor about a weight goal and he said...........

Like if it says you should be 130, you can get there but can you maintain it?

Better to be at 150 and maintain it.  Charts are wrong. Every body if different

as you know.  Can be three people weighing 160, can all look different, wear

different sizes.  Be your own healthy self at what weight is best for you.

Don't go by sizes there all messed up. Doesn't matter.

Mike Shootr  Rose and others Where Are You?

• Like 2

Topped out at 179 in the late fall. Hit 170.1 today. Hoping to say goodbye to the 170's for good. 

Started using the Seven app to do a short daily workout. The freebie version has one workout a day. Membership lets you choose from a bunch of pre-set options, a random workout generator, or build custom sets from their long list of bodyweight exercises. Decided that a small daily habit is a great way to ease back into exercise after the psoas injury I struggled with throughout 2018. 18 days in a row and going strong. Even started building longer sets (up to 20 minutes) instead of just the suggested 7-8 mins. I generally do the exercises while watching tv in the evening. 

I decided to give intermittent fasting a shot about 10 days ago after inadvertently skipping breakfast and lunch one day (this was very unusual for me). The idea is to restrict your eating to 8 hours per day. It's going surprisingly well. I plan to keep it up until the cruise, and possibly pick it back up after I return to try to help finish off the rest of the weight. Weirdly had to start logging my food with Lose It to ensure I'm eating enough (as opposed to too much). I'm finding it too easy to eat too little if I don't have something keeping a tally. Eating a lot more protein and a lot less sugar, even though I had no intention of changing my diet beyond restricting my timing. I'm craving protein instead of chocolate for the first time in my life. Quickly learned that I can't end the night on anything too sweet or I'll feel cruddy in the morning. So if I have a dessert, I follow up later with nuts or ham and cheese to avoid the sugar roller coaster ride. I will remember that lesson long after I give up IF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, faerievert said:

Topped out at 179 in the late fall. Hit 170.1 today. Hoping to say goodbye to the 170's for good. 

Started using the Seven app to do a short daily workout. The freebie version has one workout a day. Membership lets you choose from a bunch of pre-set options, a random workout generator, or build custom sets from their long list of bodyweight exercises. Decided that a small daily habit is a great way to ease back into exercise after the psoas injury I struggled with throughout 2018. 18 days in a row and going strong. Even started building longer sets (up to 20 minutes) instead of just the suggested 7-8 mins. I generally do the exercises while watching tv in the evening. 

I decided to give intermittent fasting a shot about 10 days ago after inadvertently skipping breakfast and lunch one day (this was very unusual for me). The idea is to restrict your eating to 8 hours per day. It's going surprisingly well. I plan to keep it up until the cruise, and possibly pick it back up after I return to try to help finish off the rest of the weight. Weirdly had to start logging my food with Lose It to ensure I'm eating enough (as opposed to too much). I'm finding it too easy to eat too little if I don't have something keeping a tally. Eating a lot more protein and a lot less sugar, even though I had no intention of changing my diet beyond restricting my timing. I'm craving protein instead of chocolate for the first time in my life. Quickly learned that I can't end the night on anything too sweet or I'll feel cruddy in the morning. So if I have a dessert, I follow up later with nuts or ham and cheese to avoid the sugar roller coaster ride. I will remember that lesson long after I give up IF.

I too am only trying to eat during that 8 hour period of the day, since I am working and in most days at 530am usually have cup of tea(no sugar or creamer  but sometimes honey), then 930am is coffee break another tea or bottle of water and a bowl of oatmeal( I buy the large tube and fill a container with oatmeal with cinnamon  and pour some out over a mashed banana every day, and a few graham cracker with peanut butter. Then another bottle of water for lunch with a few hardboiled eggs, an apple at 200pm with another bottle of water and then at 4pm whatever my lovely wife has cooked for dinner. I am having not trouble staying away from the snacks now that the holidays are over. Once we cruise in 99 days I am eating whatever I want , including desserts...…. Take care all Rob... Stay warm We are  waiting for another snow storm and below zero cold here... brrrrrrrr!!!

• Like 1

HI all!

Belle ~ nice ditty!

Sorry to spoil the winning record but I gained 0.8 lbs this week.:classic_sad:

Jan ~ congrats  on getting to overweight from obese. It's been a long time since I was there.

Diana ~ great that you're almost at normal!

My Wii says I should be at 116.6 so I'm just 50 lbs away! I was 135 after my knee surgery & some thought I looked gaunt. I like myself best at 145 ish. I was that for the last 20 years of my working life. I've put on the weight since I retired as I'm no longer getting as much exercise as I did then. I have to make more of an effort as my pants are getting too tight & I don't want to get bigger ones.

See you next week. Have a nice long weekend isn't it for you?

~ Jo ~ 😊

Hi all. Im Anne from the UK - its one year today until my cruise - 11 nights on the Celeb Reflection followed by a week in Mexico.Its a once in a lifetime hol for my 50th.  I would love to go away with a new me new wardrobe. I cant afford the gym but have successfully lost weight through exercising at home on my own before. I dont know my weight but i am a UK size 24-26 so I have quite a way to go. Any tips? 

Good Morning this Sunday. Hope your all staying safe and warm.

Don't know what towns you live in your states but hope your not

in the bad storms.

Jo that's not a bad gain, could be water weight. You'll get it off.

Rob sounds like you really have your eating down.

Faerie Sounds like your getting good at your exercise doing it everyday.

pac good luck with veggies and exercise.

Diana still going to gym with husband

Dave your so close to goal.. Great!   

Jan your doing good at exercise  too.

Exercise is my downfall. Use to be good at it .Have to follow you all and get started again.

Welcome Anne My tip..You can do it! You don't need a gym, nice if you can

but can exercise at home and walk. Not everyone goes to a gym. Have to watch what you eat. 

Portion control and cut out sugar/sweets helps (my downfall). Eat healthy.

We have weigh-in every Thursday, say how we're doing. Try to give tips, ask/answers questions we try to

help everyone. If don't have a scale can tell us how your doing by how your clothes fit. But

really better if you could get a scale. Keeps you accountable.

Glad your joining us. Come in as often as you like to talk.

Edited by Belle

Hi everyone, got way more exercise than wanted today. Started snowing last night and then turned to freezing rain and sleet overnight and continued to almost noontime .  Spent a few hours cleaning our cars , driveway and sidewalks. Snow and ice was really heavy today  so really got a good workout in.  Showered and relaxed for an hour before heading into work to clean our walks and exits for tomorrow as we are expecting below zero weather. Hi Ann, I agree with Belle, that you really should have a scale to keep yourself accountable. No one needs to know your starting weight unless you want to divulge it, but checking in and with encouragement and help am sure you can reach your goal.. Take care all Rob

Hi Everyone,

Rob, a workout is a workout! 

Welcome Annie. My tip is to walk a lot. If you have a smart phone put a step counter on it. I go for even 10 minute power walks. 

This weekend we loaded up on salad fixings so will be eating lots of salads. 

Have a good Monday everyone.

Diana

9 hours ago, Belle said:

Rob..Be;ow Zero Weather! Yikes!  I could never live in that weather. Guess your use to it.

Yes you got your exercise.

Hello everyone on this Holiday Monday. Have a good day. Stay safe and warm.

Belle, its so cold this morning , saw a turtle wearing a people neck sweater....at 430am when I got into work it was -2*, its lunchtime and up to a balmy 3*.. The wind chill is way below zero...That's why we vacation in warm areas...

We are still bitter cold here (although now double digits!!) and calling for freezing rain tomorrow 😞 At least all the home repairs got finished last week and the crew didn't need to come out in this cold.

We had a heavy food weekend with cold weather foods, but trying to be healthier this week.  Lots of salads and being careful with the add-ons that can make salads hi-calorie.  Our schedule will only fit in one workout this week - our trainer also does sports medicine for some of the local schools and it's basketball season.  We will be traveling Thursday-Saturday for Honors Program interviews with daughter's two college choices.  I'll have to be very intentional and disciplined with food choices.

Since we will leave early Thursday, I probably won't be on next week's weigh-in until later in the week.  Stay warm everyone!