Balcony vs Inside?

pseudoware

10 hours ago, K32682 said:

Running across a busy 4 lane freeway puts other people at risk because they may brake or swerve in an attempt to avoid him resulting in high-speed crashes.

In this case the only risk was to the jumper himself and no one else.  I'm not defending the guy but I'm also not engaging in the usual histrionics and pearl clutching.  Sometimes young men get drunk and do foolish things.  On a scale of 1-10 this would be a 3 perhaps a 4. 

Running across a busy highway is perfectly safe. Here is a scene from the comedy Bowfinger that proves that it's only a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10, just like you claim jumping off an 11 story balcony is. If it can be done in the movies, I must be safe in real life. Everyone know that the movies are real!!! Who woulda thunk it? 😮

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Since it's no big deal at only a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10, then do it the next time you're on a cruise and tell us about the experience. Better yet, record a video with your phone as you drop and post it here on CC. Maker sure it's in "selfie mode" for best effect. You sound like you think you are better than the rest of us so you must be well capable of sticking the landing and getting away with it. Should get a lot of hits here. 

LOL.  I'm probably past the age where I would jump off a cruise ship.  In my younger days I never did anything quite that foolish but certainly close.  

The young man lived and by all accounts is happily back at home enjoying his newfound fame.  40 years from now he and his pals will gather over drinks and have a good laugh about the crazy time they all got banned from RCI. 

He lived.  The cruise went on as scheduled.  No harm, no foul.  Seriously, some of you need to unclutch and unclench. 

31 minutes ago, K32682 said:

LOL.  I'm probably past the age where I would jump off a cruise ship.  In my younger days I never did anything quite that foolish but certainly close.  

The young man lived and by all accounts is happily back at home enjoying his newfound fame.  40 years from now he and his pals will gather over drinks and have a good laugh about the crazy time they all got banned from RCI. 

He lived.  The cruise went on as scheduled.  No harm, no foul.  Seriously, some of you need to unclutch and unclench. 

No clutching or clenching here (excepting, perhaps, your near-hysterical defense of your own minimizing the gross stupidity of the jumper).  

Why does it bother you for people to simply identify gross stupidity for what it is?

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

No clutching or clenching here (excepting, perhaps, your near-hysterical defense of your own minimizing the gross stupidity of the jumper).  

Why does it bother you for people to simply identify gross stupidity for what it is?

Because contrary to the lofty judgement of the pearl clutchers and other assorted fusspots what the guy did wasn't "gross stupidity."  It was foolish but he didn't die, no one else was hurt and the media report quoted above said he'd jumped from similar heights before.  

Stupid was posting the video on the internet. That's what got him and his friends thrown off the boat not the jump itself. 

8 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Because contrary to the lofty judgement of the pearl clutchers and other assorted fusspots what the guy did wasn't "gross stupidity."  It was foolish but he didn't die, no one else was hurt and the media report quoted above said he'd jumped from similar heights before.  

Stupid was posting the video on the internet. That's what got him and his friends thrown off the boat not the jump itself. 

Perhaps you should loosen your grasp on your pearls.

I understand that you claim to be the sole judge - and presumably see yourself as a majority of one. But you might just think if simply surviving a stupid act is prima facie evidence of said act’s reasonableness.

Do you REALLY believe that ONLY the posting of the video inspired the line to eject him?

I am aware of several instances where passengers have been ejected for stupid or anti-social behavior, with no internet posting involved.    

I very much doubt that the video is what got him and his mates evicted. It was the act itself with the collusion of his mates that got them in trouble. IME, many people have taken videos and remained on the ship without consequences as they have been witnesses to an event and not part of it.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps you should loosen your grasp on your pearls.

I understand that you claim to be the sole judge - and presumably see yourself as a majority of one. But you might just think if simply surviving a stupid act is prima facie evidence of said act’s reasonableness.

Do you REALLY believe that ONLY the posting of the video inspired the line to eject him?

I am aware of several instances where passengers have been ejected for stupid or anti-social behavior, with no internet posting involved.    

The poster in question seems to have a tenuous grasp on reality. :classic_dry:

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You do realize that deck 11 is not 11 decks above the waterline - but above the keel.  Waterline is probably deck 2 or 3 - and figure perhaps 8 to 9 feet per deck  — deck 11 is nowhere near 110 feet above water.

On Grandeur, Deck 1 is the deck at dock level.  Which typically is above the water line.

Ceiling height is 8 feet in the cabin, but there is space between the ceiling and the deck above.  Ducting, wiring, piping is in that space.   Typical distance between floors is 10 feet.

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Stop inferring and read the words I posted.   At no point did I say the act was "reasonable" nor am I defending the guy's actions. It does not however quite merit the level of horror, hyperventilation and hysteria shown by you and others in this thread.  

The video showed the entire group was involved. Had it not been posted it is entirely possible the jumper would have been thrown off but his friends might have been able to continue or that their ban would not have been "lifetime".

Edited by K32682

4 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Stop inferring and read the words I posted.   At no point did I say the act was "reasonable" nor am I defending the guy's actions. It does not however quite merit the level of horror, hyperventilation and hysteria shown by you and others in this thread.  

The video showed the entire group was involved. Had it not been posted it is entirely possible the jumper would have been thrown off but his friends might have been able to continue or that their ban would not have been "lifetime".

Stop. Just stop. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

The poster in question seems to have a tenuous grasp on reality. :classic_dry:

My reality is just fine.  It's a reality based on the facts and proportion.  It was a foolish act by a young man where no one died, no one was seriously injured, the cruise wasn't disrupted and everyone got on with their lives.  

My reality is also not one that blindly goes along with the herd mentality.  Your mileage may vary. 

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You do realize that deck 11 is not 11 decks above the waterline - but above the keel.  Waterline is probably deck 2 or 3 - and figure perhaps 8 to 9 feet per deck  — deck 11 is nowhere near 110 feet above water.

On Royal Caribbean, they number their decks above the waterline, so deck 11 truly is 11 decks above the water. 

12 hours ago, K32682 said:

Because contrary to the lofty judgement of the pearl clutchers and other assorted fusspots...

So a grown man leaps 11 decks off a cruise ship in a foreign port, gets his entire group thrown off the ship, costs the group thousands of dollars, and you only refer to him as "a bit dumb," yet here on Cruise Critic, you refer to the people who are calling him out on his stupidity pearl clutchers, fusspots and herd mentality? 

Wow.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

So a grown man leaps 11 decks off a cruise ship in a foreign port, gets his entire group thrown off the ship, costs the group thousands of dollars, and you only refer to him as "a bit dumb," yet here on Cruise Critic, you refer to the people who are calling him out on his stupidity pearl clutchers, fusspots and herd mentality? 

Wow.  

You are dealing with someone who is unable to acknowledge error - after initiallly trivializing gross stupidity, he doubles down by insulting those who simply recognized it for what it was:  calling them “pearl clutchers” - one of his apparently favorite (although amusingly inappropriate) derogatory barbs. 

Let him continue digging his hole - he probably cannot stop - don’t feed him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are dealing with someone who is unable to acknowledge error - after initiallly trivializing gross stupidity, he doubles down by insulting those who simply recognized it for what it was:  calling them “pearl clutchers” - one of his apparently favorite (although amusingly inappropriate) derogatory barbs. 

Let him continue digging his hole - he probably cannot stop - don’t feed him.

It is always amusing watching someone make a fool of themselves. In the case of the video, we have two such people - the jumper, and our resident defender. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

19 hours ago, K32682 said:

So it wasn't stupid because he didn't die?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

A Pearl Clutcher is a new one for me, I must say it brings all sorts of images to my mind but most are not appropriate for a younger audience.

Actually, I believe the image being aimed at is that of a nervous old lady so shocked by a trivial matter that she clutches her pearl necklace.  

Amusingly, the only person here who came close to that image was the one who used it—- apparently shattered that so many people saw fit to cruelly describe the jumper’s gross stupidity as being grossly stupid.  There are people who get upset by plain talk.

15 hours ago, Kevin308 said:

So it wasn't stupid because he didn't die?

Read what posted. The terms I used were "foolish" and "dumb" which are synonyms. 

Young men have been doing foolish things since the beginning of time.  He and his companions paid a fair price for their misadventure. In this case no harm, no foul and this entire matter is hardly worthy of the hyperventilation shown by the cruise herd. 

Edited by K32682

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Read what posted. The terms I used were "foolish" and "dumb" which are synonyms. 

Young men have been doing foolish things since the beginning of time.  He and his companions paid a fair price for their misadventure. In this case no harm, no foul and this entire matter is hardly worthy of the hyperventilation shown by the cruise herd. 

All right, ma’am;  whatever you say, ma’am.

To get back to the subject, my opinion is......if you can afford a balcony, do it!  My favorite part of a cruise is sitting on our balcony watching the water go by.  You don't know if it's day or night in an inside cabin unless you get one of those virtual balconies but it's just not the same.  I started out using inside cabins but once I had a balcony, I was forever hooked.  

7 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

To get back to the subject, my opinion is......if you can afford a balcony, do it!  My favorite part of a cruise is sitting on our balcony watching the water go by.  You don't know if it's day or night in an inside cabin unless you get one of those virtual balconies but it's just not the same.  I started out using inside cabins but once I had a balcony, I was forever hooked.  

And they are the perfect viewing location when watching the fun loving youngsters jumping from the balconies above. You can give them a friendly wave as they whoosh by enjoying their harmless fun. 

Edited by SantaFeFan