Shore excursions Viking Basel to Amsterdam

Bro840

Has anyone done the Moselle wine tasting? How does it compare to the Alsace one? Is there free time in Strasbourg after the morning city tour and are there things to do? It seems that Viking offers a shuttle service back to the ship if you choose to stay. Also, has anyone done the Black Forest excursion? Thoughts?

Ā 

• 1 month later...

I did this cruise in Dec. 2018. I did not do any of the wine tastings. We did have free time in Strasbourg after the morning tour. There were shuttle buses provided by Viking several times a day. We actually went back to the ship for lunch and took the bus back to town (10-15 min ride)Ā and stayed until the last shuttle, I think it was 4:30 or 5pm? The Christmas markets were going on so we had plenty to see with that...but the town is lovely just to walk around and see the sights. The cathedral is amazing!Ā 

Ā 

The Black Forest was my least favorite but I knew that going in from the reviews that I had read. Long bus ride, but pretty, the guide did not stop talking the whole wayĀ there. It was basically a little village with 4-5 buildings, cuckoo demo, Black Forest cake demo, tasting not included, you must buy yourself-several people were disappointed because from the tour description it sounded like it was included but it was not. Also, a glass shop, world's largest cuckoo clock. There was a nature trail that looked nice but due to rain we did not go on that walk. Overall, just meh....crowded andĀ hurried, but several people were extremely into the cuckoo clocks and spent several hundred $ buying them. If you are in to cuckoo clocks then you may love it?

Ā 

My favorite optional excursion was The Top of Cologne! It was an amazing tour ofĀ the rooftops and attics of the cathedral. Beware if you are afraid of heights! It has very limited availability, 16 people, I think? It did not show up right away in the list of options but I kept checking back and it finally popped up and I booked it right away! One of the best tours I have ever done any where on any trip!

On 3/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, lil_miss_mimi said:

My favorite optional excursion was The Top of Cologne! It was an amazing tour ofĀ the rooftops and attics of the cathedral. Beware if you are afraid of heights! It has very limited availability, 16 people, I think? It did not show up right away in the list of options but I kept checking back and it finally popped up and I booked it right away! One of the best tours I have ever done any where on any trip!

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Top of Cologne. Ā It was the excursion I was most interested, and it also was not listed when excursions first were posted for my cruise this June. Ā I randomly checked one day and it appeared-excited to have snagged it. Ā 

Ā 

Thanks also for the review of the Black Forest. Ā We will cancel that and spend the morning having coffee in Breisach and wandering around and then doing the optional Colmar tour in the afternoon.