Room Tip Question

Flygirl333

5 hours ago, Flygirl333 said:

I have read several tips for maximum space savers for the rooms.  One was an over the door hanging shoe bag.  Question, does it have to be flame retardant or can I just purchase a cheap one at Walmart?

If the hanger damages the door in any way, you will get a hefty bill.

anyone who needs a door hanger has far too much stuff.

Although the staterooms are small they are well designed with maximizing space and storage in mind for the typical traveler.  Unless you are bringing an excessive amount of stuff with you I doubt you will need any extra storage items, which would just take up space to bring with you.  

One hint, most beds are on a frame high enough of the floor to allow your suitcases to be stored underneath along with your life preservers, which are often in the closet.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The door hangers can come in very handy particularly when you have children or two or more females in a room. 

Doesn't need to be any special material, but do try to get the kind with clear pockets so you can see what's in them. 

There are nooks and crannies to store things, but when they're out of sight, they can be harder to find/use.  That's when you end up with one person asking another person, "where's the ______ ????" and it gets annoying for the person who has to keep track of everything.

With the organizer, you can have all kinds of things available and visible, but out of the way.  

Hairbrushes/combs.
Ponytail elastics.
Barrettes / hairsticks.
Sunscreen.
Aloe/after sun lotion.
Hand lotion.
Face moisturizer.
Makeup.
Nail polish.

Lip balm.
Powder/talc (chafing is no fun!).

Q-tips/cotton swabs.

Fingernail clippers / nail file / tweezers.
Sunglasses.
Phone charger cords.
Earbuds / headphones.
Excursion tickets.

All those things can be easily visible and accessible by all.  (And if you label each pocket, nobody can say they didn't know where to put something back after they were done using it!)

Yes, you CAN store all of those things behind the mirrors or in drawers or scattered across the desktop.... it's just a question of if you want it out where people can find it or not.

Edited by brillohead

4 cruises, never needed a door hanger.

Maybe we don't bring enough junk.

One tip that I have used, is the dollar stores have small fold up bins.  Maybe 6" x 10" and about 2 - 3" deep.  Nice on the desk to hold all the little things that can get scattered around.

That and towel clips are the only things on the typical "tips" list we have used.  

I use an over the door hanger because I don’t want to go to this cubbyhole or that drawer looking for things. DH and I keep our bathroom essentials in it plus OTC  meds, hair stuff and other little things. 

We bring what we use and use what we bring. 

I don’t think anyone should put down people for what they pack for a cruise. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Some people pack light others don't.

And some people have needs that others don't.  

I challenge you to "pack light" on hair care and accessories with my head of hair.  Some people have to work on the road, and so they need more electronic devices and chargers and accessories.  Some people have medical needs that require additional equipment.  Some people are on an extended vacation and have to bring more than a week's worth of items. Everyone's situation is unique.

It also depends on who is in the room.  A partnered couple will be more likely to share certain items that two people from different households won't.  

My next two cruises, I'll be sharing a room with people I'm not related to and who don't live in the same state as I do.  We're both going to need to bring hairbrushes, hair accessories, body lotion, sunscreen, electronics/chargers, OTC meds, blah blah blah.  Much simpler to hang some pockets on the wall versus rummaging through each other's stuff trying to find what we're looking for. 

Okay, okay, I just said that I didn't need that much storage and that some people pack lighter than others.

I can pack very light but I don't see how me packing thus, will help your head of hair.

You bring whatever you need to enjoy your trip, you don't need my permission.

• Haha 1