Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

Looking for some information on Iona progress, and stumbled across these photos.  I believe them to be of Iona, after trying to get the German translated, with hashtags for Iona in the descriptions.  The Neptun Werft yard is currently working on the floating engine room unit (FERU), which will then be 'floated' to Meyer Werft Papenburg later on, for ship block assembly to commence.  

47690696_152456492388504_5431614607431212370_n.jpg

Neptun_Werft__Margit_Wild_02.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for providing the pictures. Good to see that progress is being made even though there is nothing we can do to ensure that it is completed by May 2020. Still a long way off but the excitement for the maiden cruise is building with every update.

I think that once they move Spectrum of the Seas out of the covered deck into the basin, and move the large floating section for the Norwegian Encore into the dock, which is scheduled for end of February, then we should start to see Iona come to life.

We are not on the maiden for this, but sailing end of June.  Looking forward to seeing it come to life.

43 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks for providing the pictures. Good to see that progress is being made even though there is nothing we can do to ensure that it is completed by May 2020. Still a long way off but the excitement for the maiden cruise is building with every update.

Fingers crossed for May. Looking forward to trying this big ship!

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled upon this video of Iona FERU now in the basin at Meyer Werft, alongside Spectrum of the Seas.  Construction should soon be starting in earnest within the construction hall.

Also found this of Iona in transit on the Ems.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

Thanks for sharing. May '20 seems awfully close when you see those pictures.Then again they work so fast, she'll probably be looking more like a ship next time we see her.

It will be very tight time wise. Their last LNG ship was delivered over 6 weeks late  !!!

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

They are doing yours last Pete - to make sure it is perfect 😉

If that is the case, I hope they have all their measurements spot on otherwise it may be a very odd shape.

Thanks for the updated jaydee - she's coming along nicely.

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour I heard that Ocean Terminal will get extended in the future? Someone told me that they want to increase its size for Iona (or more likely once her sister is built).