Flight home after cruise

Mrs-Cruise

Hello.

First of all apologies if I have posted this on the incorrect board, there are so many. 🙂 

A short explanation.  me and my family are cruising in and out of Barcelona and are intending arriving in Barcelona two or three days before cruise departure.  

We have never cruised before (me, my husband, my 11 year old son and 10 year old daughter) so have no idea about disembarkation.  

We are flying into the UK with no flights booked as yet.  

We are trying to arrange these flights and hotels as I type.  

The time of the return flight on disembarkation day to our local airport is 22:05.  There are flights earlier than this but flying into Gatwick some three hours away from where we live.  

My question is would you recommend we hang around for the later flight, or do you think after a lovely week on our cruise, we will just want to go home and should opt for the earlier flight to the airport some three hours away?  

How do you experienced cruisers feel?  

One minute my mind is made up, then I think ....... and again seeds of doubt enter and I change my mind ........ and I am so indecisive!!!!! .....

...... and don't start me on hotels - LOL.  

Any advice/experiences given would be truly appreciated.  

Thank you so much in advance.  

MC

Do you not have the option to get to your home airport with a connection? I realize it isn't as easy as a direct flight, but hanging around all day seems very tiring, and you wouldn't get home until very late.

5 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Do you not have the option to get to your home airport with a connection? I realize it isn't as easy as a direct flight, but hanging around all day seems very tiring, and you wouldn't get home until very late.

Thank you for replying.  I think hanging around all day will be tiring,  Unfortunately no connecting flights but can get a couple of trains and taxi.  I am 99% there with my decision now.  LOL.  Thanks again.  

I would usually pick the airport closer to home.

But not great the hanging around for the day.

but if you could book a really cheap room for the night. You could leave the luggage in the room have some nice lunch maybe have a lovely nap before heading to the airport.

But if I didn't get a room I think I would go for the early flight.

If you haven't been through Barcelona Airport they have a bit of a weird set up, where you got through security and then you go in to an area with duty free and cafes and then you go through a passport control.

• 2 weeks later...

If possible, I personally would stay the extra night in Barcelona and fly out the next morning. It would be a much more relaxing way of ending your vacation. I wouldn’t fancy a 3 hour commute home from gatwick late in the day.

Second choice would be arrange a place for “left luggage” and head to the airport after dinner. Try asking the hotel that you’re staying at precruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We have never cruised before (me, my husband, my 11 year old son and 10 year old daughter) so have no idea about disembarkation.  

Be aware that most cruiselines will have you and your luggage disembarked somewhere between 0800 and 0900 latest, so that may influence your decision.

FYI as you might think about more cruises in the future. Some lines such as Marella/Tui, Fred O and PandO often use charter flights,, and although you still need to be out of your cabins by 0800 you can stay onboard and use all the ship facilities until it is time for your airport transfer. Our Caribbean in Dec with late evening flights home with Marella/Tui, you could reserve a shower and change slot, hire beach towels for pool use, and they also offered a secure hand luggage storage area. And the AI was still valid until transfer time.  It was really another free day to stay onboard or go off for some sightseeing.