Hong Kong day tour?

stretchcruz

We are doing Viking Orion Feb 24-March 26. We are in Bali on our own March 26 and 27, then Viking Air couldn't get us back to Tucson the 28 so they are flying us to Hong Kong March 28 at 4 PM and putting us up in a hotel (the Regal Airport Hotel). We arrive at 9:30 PM, then Viking is flying us out at 7 PM the next night. So we have an accidental day in Hong Kong. No complaints here,  I am happy to have the trip broken up with a free hotel. Anybody have any suggestions for a Hong Kong day tour? I'll post over on the ports of call board as well. Thanks!!

Have you been to Hong Kong before? If not, then Victoria Peak has a wonderful view over Hong Kong. The chairlift at Tung Chung is breathtaking and takes you to the Giant Buddha. And Stanley has interesting markets and Harbour. A Junk tour in the river is fun. Or even just the ferry across to the other side. The subway system in Hong Kong is excellent and well explained in English and will get you everywhere in the main area. And of course, if you are into it, there is also Disneyland. Much smaller than the US varieties. There is so much to see that you will need to work out what you want to see but my top would be Victoria Peak. 

Couple of suggestions

- 1) Hong Kong Island - The Peak, Aberdeen Harbour, Repulse Bay & Stanley Market

- 2) Lantau Island - Po Lin Monestary, The Big Buddha,  Cable Car, also have some nice beaches and fishing villages.

Dobie,  All are excellent suggestions.  Will Viking let you extend another day and only have the cost of hotel room?  If only one day Heidi's choice for Hong Kong Island are perfect.   Stanley Market is a bit far away so maybe one of the closer markets....Bird market and Goldfish markets are intriquing.  The subway is easy to use! 

Thank you all! First time in Hong Kong. We have to leave on the Friday flight as I am still working and need to get back. It's probably too late anyway to change flights. I paid extra for bulkhead seats. I'll note all of your suggestions. Starting to get excited, less than 5 weeks away.

• 3 weeks later...

The very best day I spent in Honk Kong was a visit to the race track..It was a perfect day in every way. Even though I am not much of a gambler, this day met my need to move among locals and share their lives just a bit.  I went in October, so the horses were just coming back from their summer away from the heat.  We met at a central location and were driven to the Track, provided with a box, with both enclosed and open seating, a lovely buffet lunch, and instruction in betting, plus a bit of change to get us started.  We were taken to view the horses in paddock.  Afterward there was a chance to check out the gift shops and then we were dropped off at our hotel.  Even for a non gambler, the day cannot be beat.  If it is still available, do check it out.

You will not have much time for sightseeing.  The HK airport is quite far from the city. The airport express train is 45 minutes to an hour away from the city’s airport station (depending on your stop in the city, Hong Kong side or Kowloon side).  Then, you will need additional time to get from the city airport station to your sightseeing destination.  The round trip airport-city transportation plus the 3-hr early arrival at airport for international flight really eat into your available sightseeing time.