Hong Kong day tour?

stretchcruz

We are doing Viking Orion Feb 24-March 26. We are in Bali on our own March 26 and 27, then Viking Air couldn't get us back to Tucson the 28 so they are flying us to Hong Kong March 28 at 4 PM and putting us up in a hotel (the Regal Airport Hotel). We arrive at 9:30 PM, then Viking is flying us out at 7 PM the next night. So we have an accidental day in Hong Kong. No complaints here,  I am happy to have the trip broken up with a free hotel. Anybody have any suggestions for a Hong Kong day tour?  Thanks!!

I'm not sure you'll have much time to "do" sights probably better to soak up the atmosphere.

Start by taking the Airport Express train https://www.hongkong.net/transportation/to-from-airport/airport-express to Hong Kong central. It's comfortably the quickest option (24 minutes)  and probably the cheapest (day-return is same price as a one-way ticket at $HK 60).

HK Central links with the MTR (metro) but I suggest that instead you cross to the tram route - these are quaint & rickety trams of a 70-year-old style that will take you at street level.

https://www.hktramways.com/en/interactive-map/

Take any tram west-bound to Wan Chai (the World of Suzie Wong), where the modern international shops and skyscrapers give way to an older, more colourful & ethnic Hong Kong. 

If it's tram numbers 3 (North Point) or 4 (Causeway Bay) or 5 (Happy Valley), mebbe stay on the tram to its terminus  - the fares are peanuts - to get a good upstairs seat for returning as far as Wan Chai. (But the terminus for tram numbers 1 or 2 or  6 at Shau Kai Wan is too far)

Or (I only found this when googling the tram website) there's a one-hour open-top tram tour from Western Market. For that you need to take a tram for a few stops westwards to Western Market - check the tour tickets & timing first.

Consider checking out The Peak by bus or funicular, but the funicular does get very busy. Not worthwhile if the pollution (the only thing to dislike about HK) means you can't see the top of The Peak from sea level cos there'll be little or no view from the top.

The "Mid-Levels" are a 10 minute walk from Central Station. A series of escalators & travelators which take uphill thro shops.

Stanley Market is on the other side of the island. Regular direct buses, but it'd take a big chunk of your day.

HK has ho-ho buses, I've never used them.

Especially since you won't have a sail-in or sail-out, do allow time to cross from the island to the mainland by ferry. The Star Ferries, as iconic as the trams, cross from both Central and Wan Chai to Tsim Sha Tsui. So frequent that while one is loading the next is disgorging and ready to load and they just swing the gate to channel those boarding from one side of the pier to the other. Again fares are peanuts

West Kowloon station, for the Airport Express back to the airport, is a ten minute taxi ride from Kowloon ferry terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui 

Just a few suggestions to check out on google & googleimages/videos

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Excellant advice in the previous post, taking a ride on the DingDing (trams) is a must for any Hong Kong bucket list. The historic tram ride is very good, but you need time to do it, as it only runs two or three times a day.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:11 PM, G.M.T. said:

Excellant advice in the previous post, taking a ride on the DingDing (trams) is a must for any Hong Kong bucket list. The historic tram ride is very good, but you need time to do it, as it only runs two or three times a day.

What do you mean it only runs 2 or 3 times a day?

The trams run all day and evening and come by every few minutes.  Just make sure where the destination is as some stop short at North Point, Happy Valley, etc.

4 hours ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

What do you mean it only runs 2 or 3 times a day?

The trams run all day and evening and come by every few minutes.  Just make sure where the destination is as some stop short at North Point, Happy Valley, etc.

You should go back and read my original my original message "The historic tram ride is very good, but you need time to do it, as it only runs two or three times a day. "

See here:

https://www.hktramways.com/en/tramoramic

9 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

You should go back and read my original my original message "The historic tram ride is very good, but you need time to do it, as it only runs two or three times a day. "

See here:

https://www.hktramways.com/en/tramoramic

OK I misunderstood.  You said a "tram ride" which are the ding dings running all day.  They are historic as they have been running for years. They only cost $2.60 whereas I believe you were thinking of a "tour" which is different and would probably cost a lot more. I'm not sure it would really be worth it as it would run on the exact same tracks..

Edited by Betty in Cozumel