Connecting cruises

rafinmd

I am on a river cruise ending in Basel November 3 and continuing on an ocean cruise out of Barcelona November 5.  Crystal is offering transfers to Basel airport.  The choices I am looking at are Basel to BCN via either LHR (90 minute connection on BA) or LIS (70 minute connection on TAP).  My third option would be a transfer to Zurich (probably would need to be private with my luggage) where I could get a non-stop.

I might do coach out of Zurich but would definitely want to have Business if there is a connection involved.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Roy

Just checked, Vueling has a flight on Nov. 3, 2:10p-3:50p, direct Basel to Barcelona, $68.40 usd for Optima (gives you a bag and a seat). You could wait for a sale and get it slightly cheaper, but I probably would not bother. 

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The choices I am looking at are Basel to BCN via either LHR (90 minute connection on BA) or LIS (70 minute connection on TAP).  My third option would be a transfer to Zurich (probably would need to be private with my luggage) where I could get a non-stop.

I might do coach out of Zurich but would definitely want to have Business if there is a connection involved.

Are you aware that intra-European "business class" is usually just a regular coach seat where they block the middle seat so you don't have anyone right next to you?  Same seat width as coach, same legroom as coach, etc.  The flights really aren't long enough to warrant true business class.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Are you aware that intra-European "business class" is usually just a regular coach seat where they block the middle seat so you don't have anyone right next to you?  Same seat width as coach, same legroom as coach, etc.  The flights really aren't long enough to warrant true business class.

Doesn't Business also provide some priority at the screening stations at the connecting airport?

Roy

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Doesn't Business also provide some priority at the screening stations at the connecting airport?

Depends on which and where in the airport.  If any, it's usually for entering from landside.  Rarely ever if making a connection.  IME, I have never seen priority security through transit security.

Would you ever consider a train? Depending on the day, you can do a 1-stop, 10-hour train ride.

Comparing that to the LHR journey: 15 minutes from Basel to airport, get there 90 minutes early, fly to London (90 minutes), 90 minute transfer where you'll need to re-clear security, fly to Barcelona (90 minutes), clear immigration/get bags/get to city center (60-70 minutes) = 7.5 hours with more stress, less comfort, and more chance of delay.

Just an idea.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Would you ever consider a train? Depending on the day, you can do a 1-stop, 10-hour train ride.

Comparing that to the LHR journey: 15 minutes from Basel to airport, get there 90 minutes early, fly to London (90 minutes), 90 minute transfer where you'll need to re-clear security, fly to Barcelona (90 minutes), clear immigration/get bags/get to city center (60-70 minutes) = 7.5 hours with more stress, less comfort, and more chance of delay.

Just an idea.

I would in a heartbeat if it was a North American train with checked baggage but I don't think I am up for that in Europe.

Roy

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am on a river cruise ending in Basel November 3 and continuing on an ocean cruise out of Barcelona November 5.  Crystal is offering transfers to Basel airport.  The choices I am looking at are Basel to BCN via either LHR (90 minute connection on BA) or LIS (70 minute connection on TAP).  My third option would be a transfer to Zurich (probably would need to be private with my luggage) where I could get a non-stop.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Roy

I would chose TAP.  That keeps you with the Schengen region (common boarder control) so that should make the connection faster.   Lisbon is also an easier airport to navigate.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

Depends on which and where in the airport.  If any, it's usually for entering from landside.  Rarely ever if making a connection.  IME, I have never seen priority security through transit security.

There have been priority lines at Tokyo for Delta connections.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:34 PM, rafinmd said:

Suggestions?

Thanks

Roy

If it were me I’d do the transfer to Zurich and take the direct flight to Barcelona, especially if I had luggage with me.  It’s only an hour or little over an hour by road or by train from Basel to Zurich airport then you have no worries about being in transit in any other airports... 

Anne...

2 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

If it were me I’d do the transfer to Zurich and take the direct flight to Barcelona, especially if I had luggage with me.  It’s only an hour or little over an hour by road or by train from Basel to Zurich airport then you have no worries about being in transit in any other airports... 

Anne...

I would have no worries about luggage at a flight connection, as long as it is booked as a through ticket (which the examples are).  You check in the bags at either Basel or Zurich and collect them at BCN.  No difference at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I would have no worries about luggage at a flight connection, as long as it is booked as a through ticket (which the examples are).  You check in the bags at either Basel or Zurich and collect them at BCN.  No difference at all.

That wasn't my concern - it was the higher possibility of them going astray on the connecting flights.  In all my years of living and working overseas, and my leisure travel, the only times my bags haven't made it to my final destination with me have been when they had an inter-Europe flight connection to make...

Anne..

On 1/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, cruising cockroach said:

It definitely depends on the airport. I regularly go through a terminal that has a priority security route for transit passengers: LHR T5.

Good to know there is priority transit security, though again very limited.

I haven't transited recently at NRT but NW certainly did not have priority security and LHR certainly didn't have it (have not been in T5) in the past.  I remember seeing youtube videos of the 4 hr transit security wait lines!