The Wind ... 2019 ...

jollyjones

Thanks Jolly.   Disappointing -- Capt. Arma is one of my favorites.

Regarding 738:  Looking at the deck plan this is a not a typical suite?   Square -- would love to see a photo of a verandah configuration and decor.  I haven't been on the Wind since 1998!  Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the update, jollyjones, very useful, if a tad disappointing. I loathe the shower/bath combination on the Wind and had hoped that the alterations referred to on the SS website would have been introduced already. Oh well, maybe dips in the Norwegian Fjords in May/June will be and easier way of maintaining personal hygiene.

I quite fancy being a Colonial Daughter - I hope that if the bars were quiet, they strutted their stuff on the dance floor?

Rp

Naughty Rp! But I certainly agree and will continue to hope for real, stand up showers. The combos are awful, a real draw back and I truly believe they are dangerous. Plus..inspite of all the 5 star stuff, there’s nothing luxurious about having to get in without falling, and, soaking wet, climb out without slipping.

Big mistake not to fix this! 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:48 AM, les37b said:

I think the reply is something along the lines of what a bear does in the woods! 

Um, let me guess .... forage for nuts and berries? :classic_blink:   That's what they do around here, oh, and attack the bird feeders too!

Jan

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, nowornever said:

Probably what I'm looking forward to the least....we are way too old to practice combo tub gymnastics in seas that may be a bit choppy.  I wonder if they have the non-slip mats ?  

They had mats on our last Wind cruise but only if you requested them via the Butler.

Mats do help, but it’s the gymnastics involved in getting in and out which are a pain and could be dangerous,. I think we’d know if there have been accidents, but ...maybe Rp is right...better to take a dip or a dunk into a fiord.

All  of this having been said, I still love the Wind... . Maybe I even love her the best; she was our first SS ship and no one forgets their first love.

• Like 1

If you mean the rubber thing with suckers that I never use - horrible squishy feel - there is one in my cabin, I didn't have to ask for it.

An update about Anguilla which was one of the attractions for me in this itinerary:

If I say that the water is shallow a long way out so it would have been a long tender, there was a brisk wind blowing with white caps showing on the waves, you all know what that means.

To add to the disappointment, the only alternative available was a longer stay (overnight instead of 5 hours) in St Thomas - it's peak season, Philipsburg (the nearest alternative) was crowded. So St Thomas is where we've been all night (having arrived after everything closed) and, although it's barely credible, it's 8.30am and we're it! There are no other cruise ships in, at either Havensight where we are, or at Crown Bay. Extraordinary. I had checked what other ships would be in port with us and it said none for St T but I just hadn't believed it.

I'm still not getting off the ship though, been here too many times.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:34 PM, UpstateJan said:

Um, let me guess .... forage for nuts and berries? :classic_blink:   That's what they do around here, oh, and attack the bird feeders too!

And steal the pick-er-nic hampers.... Though that's usually in openings! lol

Well all this talk of the "new" wind got me focused on preperation. Our hotel in FLL overlooks the entrance and has good views of the cruise ships, so I rang to check that "marina" view did mean the direction I'm hoping for (to time lapse the Winds arrival and then departure once we return.) Lucky I did. My TA details are completely correct.....    But the hotel booked me in on the ships departure date. We'd miss the boat! Obviously nothing as dramatic as that would have happened, but so glad I rang to check. And I'm still not convinced of the room view... But at least they now have a request for a room as high as possible facing the cruise ships. Fingers crossed.

I echo the thoughts about the tubs. Anywhere with water and potential to slip can be dangerous. I think they should still cater for those who want tubs, but do think there is a greater demand from people preferring a walk in shower.

1 hour ago, rosepark said:

Are you finding the size of the Wind constraining ,jollyjones? You commented on how tiny she seems. Like you, we have only been on the larger ships in recent time. Have you adjusted to her compactness?

Best wishes

Rp

No I'm not doing too well, I'm struggling with it, I've settled in a bit better over the past ten days but I'd still rather be on the Spirit. This wasn't helped last night when I was invited to dinner with Allan, and another couple at the table joined the Wind just 4 days after spending 14 days on the Spirit and were going on about how much they loved it.

I am enjoying getting around the ship easily (nowhere's very far), altho' my creaky knees miss the forward elevator, and still having a library is good even if there isn't much in it, but my biggest problem is the dining options - so limited! And I'm not finding the food to be very good. Whilst I am not a vegetarian, I am moving more and more to eating a mostly plant based diet and the menu choices for me seem to be so dull in both concept and taste, frequently protein deficient too. It didn't seem to be so difficult on the Muse and the Spirit. I've spoken to the Executive Chef (who is new) but nothing has improved. I suppose if you like a large slab of dead animal with a few green fronds around the edge of your plate, you'll probably do OK, although far too much is being served lukewarm to cool, rather than hot.  And I don't like sushi - that doesn't help either.

This all sounds very whiny - it's not meant to be, I am actually enjoying myself. Montserrat has been the highlight of the cruise, shame about missing Anguilla but that's simply a reason to come back some day.

I just need to bend my mind to finding ways to make the limitations of the Wind into positives - I'm back on her for 20 days in April and 14 days in June so I have incentive.

But then I'll be done with the small ships - I'm already booked on the Moon and am looking forward to the Dawn!

Thanks, I feared that might be the case but I am sorry to read that the victuals are not up to snuff.  There is no excuse for lukewarm offerings. Is La Terrazza ok? I whinged abut the lack of changing menus in Atlantide on the Spirit last year but at least there were many alternative venues to visit.

Best Wishes

Rp

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

No I'm not doing too well, I'm struggling with it, I've settled in a bit better over the past ten days but I'd still rather be on the Spirit.

But then I'll be done with the small ships - I'm already booked on the Moon and am looking forward to the Dawn!

Thanks for sharing your perspectives Jolly!  We got so spoiled by all of the choice on the Muse that I know the lack of restaurant variety is a concern of mine as we board the Shadow in two weeks.  Thankfully, we have two mid-voyage land tours, so we'll be able to mix it up quite a bit.

Which Moon voyage have you booked?  We're looking at a Barcelona voyage on her ourselves.  Although, the way SS has priced the Moon, one can basically get the same itinerary on the Spirit at a cost that amounts to a free day.

I was on the Silver Wind last year .... 11 March to 18 March. I thought it was great .... I didn’t realise that on the day we left the ship in San Juan the ship failed a CDC inspection. Very surprised to say the least.

i trust all is OK now 😀😀

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTkzMDA0NzY%3d-txsn%2fx4Y9gs%3d

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thanks for sharing your perspectives Jolly!  We got so spoiled by all of the choice on the Muse that I know the lack of restaurant variety is a concern of mine as we board the Shadow in two weeks.  Thankfully, we have two mid-voyage land tours, so we'll be able to mix it up quite a bit.

Which Moon voyage have you booked?  We're looking at a Barcelona voyage on her ourselves.  Although, the way SS has priced the Moon, one can basically get the same itinerary on the Spirit at a cost that amounts to a free day.

The crossing in November - low solo supplement!

There’s usually a ‘new ship’ price up so no real surprise. Mind you, I’m doing the Med on the Spirit May/June 2020 and that’s not exactly cheap. 

Hello again JollyJones

Thank you for the updates - it has been very informative. 

Do you happen to know who will replacing Captain Arma when he leaves the ship? 

We had booked the Island resort tour in Samana, but now I am having second thoughts!

17 hours ago, dusababy said:

Please - wish someone would post current photos of the regular veranda suites -- the pictures posted are 738 - a square window configuration.   Would love to see the refurbished suites.

Thanks in advance.

There are many photos of the Wind refurb right here on cruise critic, including the veranda suite. All you have to do is search the ship name and then click on "photos". I believe these photos were taken in Barbados after the dry dock. 

Edited by Sunprince

53 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

There are many photos of the Wind refurb right here on cruise critic, including the veranda suite. All you have to do is search the ship name and then click on "photos". I believe these photos were taken in Barbados after the dry dock. 

PRINCE -- I didn't know that!    Thank you.....:-)

:classic_blink: