Drive from LAX to San Diego

Flying into LAX 2 days before cruise out of San Diego.  Air fare was less than half the price, so will rent a car to make the drive to San Diego. The only downside is renting a car from the airport with extra charges.  How is the  drive from LAX to downtown San Diego where our hotel is?   Is there anywhere we should stop on the highway or just get out of Los Angeles asap???  It will be on a Saturday so hope that helps with traffic.  Not sure if this was a good move but thought the drive would be nice!!

A straight shot via I405 and I5,  takes about 2 hours to San Diego.

I'd get out of the LAX/Downtown area asap.  Disneyland is on I5, if you have time constraints, you can hang out a Downtown Disney for a meal.  

Edited by Philob

2 hours ago, Philob said:

A straight shot via I405 and I5,  takes about 2 hours to San Diego.

I'd get out of the LAX/Downtown area asap.  Disneyland is on I5, if you have time constraints, you can hang out a Downtown Disney for a meal.  

To be clear, Disneyland is on I5, but is not on your way to San Diego.

When are you arriving? That will affect the 2 hour estimate to drive to San Diego.The 405 can be a parking lot at times, and ending San Diego downtown can also be slow during commute times.

Will arrive at LAX on a Saturday so hopefully that will help with traffic.  Like your idea to get out of the LAX/Downtown area asap. 

Not even sure what we would go see and it might be a hassle.  If someone can suggest something to do for the afternoon that is easily accessible that would be great.  Don't mind staying in L.A. for the afternoon before heading to San Diego for the night . 

Thanks for the easy directions on I405 & 15

Don't stay in LA, get out ASAP.  Where are you staying in SD?  If you have kids it makes a difference on where to stop if you want.  If you have kids then I would do Legoland on the way.  But it all depends on how early you get into/out of LAX.  Yes, the drive can be two hours or it can be eight hours.  It just depends on traffic.  See at a certain point I-5 is a choke point and if something happens there's no way around it.  It's best to have your Google Maps or traffic map going just in case.  If no kids I would go to SD and hang out around Seaport Village, Gaslamp, or Horton Plaza.  Also look at the walking tour "Brothels, Bites, and Booze" of the Gaslamp district.  We have gone to SD for +40 years and many times a year.  We recently found that tour and it was a great way to spend a few hours.  There are also a bunch of SD bay cruises that are much fun.  

We don't have kids so no need to stop and should keep moving. Didn't know getting out of L.A. would be so bad when we booked the flight. Sounds like it could be an awful traffic jam if something happens. 

We have never been to the west coast but heard it is a beautiful drive.  Will we actually see any scenery other that the interstate??  

Not much to see on that freeway drive.  Once you get down to Southern Orange County you will see some ocean and beach.  But it's mostly freeway, houses, and shopping centers.  The pretty part is in the other direction.  Where are you staying in SD?  Don't worry to much about the drive.  Saturday should be fairly easy unless it's a holiday weekend.  If there's a huge crash or jam on I-5 you can always go over to I-15 and down to SD.  It will take a little longer but is an alternative if there's a SigAlert on the I-5.  Just keep your NAV on.    

On 1/19/2019 at 5:37 AM, D & S said:

Flying into LAX 2 days before cruise out of San Diego.  Air fare was less than half the price, so will rent a car to make the drive to San Diego. The only downside is renting a car from the airport with extra charges.  How is the  drive from LAX to downtown San Diego where our hotel is?   Is there anywhere we should stop on the highway or just get out of Los Angeles asap???  It will be on a Saturday so hope that helps with traffic.  Not sure if this was a good move but thought the drive would be nice!!

Some interesting ideas you've been given. I don't understand why someone would link LAX and Downtown LA since they are not any where near each other. What to do when you get the car depends on what time you arrive in LA, what time of year it is, what kind of sights you'd like to see and when you'd like to arrive in SD. Since you have 2 days there shouldn't be any huge hurry to get to SD.

A lot of people who fly into LAX spend time in Manhattan Beach, a charming beach town with a pier, because it is just south of LAX. Others will go to  Santa Monica, and although it is north of LAX, the opposite direction of San Diego, with no time constraints, it is worth considering.

Or you can decide you want to get out of LA and start down towards San Diego. With no time constraints or real agenda I'd get off the 405 at Seal Beach Blvd and go to Highway 1 and take it south through Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and Dana Point, where you'd rejoin the 5 Freeway to cross through Camp Pendleton. You can stop along they way at areas you find interesting. Two areas to research are Main Street Huntington Beach, which is where the HB Pier is and Main Beach Laguna Beach, where the main part of Laguna Beach is, with shops and restaurants.

Once you have crossed through Camp Pendleton I'd get off the freeway again (at the Cassidy St exit) and take the coast highway (which has many names and numbers in SD, but it is one continuous street) south through Carlsbad and all the beach towns of SD County. It is a great drive and interesting. The coast highway essentially ends in the La Jolla neighborhood of San Diego and La Jolla is another very popular stop for visitors. You could get back on the freeway or go into the village area of La Jolla. I'd go into the village area of La Jolla. Do your Internet research on La Jolla too.

Things I WOULD NOT do are go to Seaport Village (a schlocky, touristy shopping mall that almost no locals go to to) or Horton Plaza (a former mall that is dying and nearly dead). The Gaslamp is slightly interesting and Little Italy, near the cruise port is interesting. Coronado, just across the bay from San Diego, is also interesting.

I fully agree with "scottca075" on driving directions if you are in no hurry.  I have done parts of those coast city streets a few times and they are interesting, but slow with lots of stop lights and traffic.  Good thing is they parallel I-5 so if you get tired of it you can just jump back on I-5.  I do agree about Horton Plaza we only went recently to use the movie theater.  It's a shadow of it's former self.  In fact I thought I read it was being torn down.  Seaport Village I disagree, but we don't shop.  We go to walk the seawall, watch the kites, boats, and grab a drink/food.  My mom lived on Coronado a few years ago for about ten years and we went there often.  Best part is taking the ferry across the bay.  Walking through the Hotel Del is worth a little time.  

BTW: just an example of LA traffic, yesterday on the 101 a guy climbed up on a freeway sign and wouldn't come down.  Result three hour roadblock and I can only imagine how long the backup was.  This happens at least once  a year not to count all the other crazy stuff on LA freeways.   That's way I always have three routes anytime I go to LA.   

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Thank you for all the help from everyone.  Helps to know the options on routes on our drive and crazy things can happen on the freeway.   It will be on a Saturday so hope that helps with the work traffic but will always have sightseeing going on ,including us!!

Gives us a few interesting places to stop and check out so thank you to all. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old, so your plans might be set already. But I agree with the advice to head to San Diego ASAP. If you're willing to take a little time getting from the airport to a train station, Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner route is very scenic along the Pacific Coast Highway. The last stop in San Diego (Santa Fe Depot) drops your right downtown. Tickets for this are very affordable - around $35-40pp.

In San Diego, I liked the Gaslamp district; lots of nice restaurants and nightlife. If you like dueling piano bars, check out the Shout! House for a great night. Balboa park is also a great suggestion.

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Head to San Diego ASAP and spend the day in Balboa Park. It's the largest cultural park in the country. Tons of things to see and do.

https://www.balboapark.org/

Sorry to tag onto an old thread, but looking for a place to stay in San Diego for a couple nights before a cruise.  Any area I should avoid?  Was looking at (in no order)

- Westin Gaslamp

-Marriott Gaslamp

- Coronado Marriott

- Westin on West Broadway

Any thoughts appreciated

TIA

22 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Sorry to tag onto an old thread, but looking for a place to stay in San Diego for a couple nights before a cruise.  Any area I should avoid?  Was looking at (in no order).

The Coronado Marriott is an awesome vacation hotel. The Westin pair and Marriott Gaslamp are business/convention hotels. Boring as all get out.

• 2 weeks later...