Need for local currency vs US Dollar

tango223

We are going to be in several countries and looking to get local currency for them, but have heard that some countries welcome the US dollar and there is no need for me to exchange it.

Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong are where we are traveling to.  I know that the exchange rates aren't the best, but we like the convenience of having it done before we leave.  

For Hong Kong and Singapore, you will need local hard currency, US $ is hardly accepted.

Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam US $ is accepted in the larger towns and markets, but you will need local currency for outside large urban areas and for small purchases.

Best to get local currency from ATM (best rates).

8 minutes ago, tango223 said:

We are going to be in several countries and looking to get local currency for them, but have heard that some countries welcome the US dollar and there is no need for me to exchange it.

Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong are where we are traveling to.  I know that the exchange rates aren't the best, but we like the convenience of having it done before we leave.  

I can speak for only two. In Cambodia the US dollar is the de facto currency, and it is fairly widely accepted in Vietnam, although they would prefer local currency.