NYC Subway Advice

Sauna4me

Good evening,     My pre cruise plans  are to fly to NYC  2 days  before boarding the NCL  Escape on June 9th.  I am eagerly making plans like attending a show,  traveling to Ellis Island, walking food tour, etc.  CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE NYC SUBWAY?  Good way to get around the Big Apple?  Inexpensive compared to taxis?  User friendly (from small town with barely any public transportation)?  MOST IMPORTANTLY... is it safe?  I am really out of the loop...I haven't been to NYC in over 8 years.  Thank You!!   

37 minutes ago, Sauna4me said:

Good evening,     My pre cruise plans  are to fly to NYC  2 days  before boarding the NCL  Escape on June 9th.  I am eagerly making plans like attending a show,  traveling to Ellis Island, walking food tour, etc.  CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE NYC SUBWAY?  Good way to get around the Big Apple?  Inexpensive compared to taxis?  User friendly (from small town with barely any public transportation)?  MOST IMPORTANTLY... is it safe?  I am really out of the loop...I haven't been to NYC in over 8 years.  Thank You!!   

Where exactly are you staying in Manhattan? Hopefully near a subway stop.  IMO subway is the best way to get around and it is well used and safe.  It all depends on where you are going - you might be able to walk to some places.  Walking is very common in NYC.  I’m sure folks will post about useful web sites and phone apps for the subway.

Please post your hotel and other places you might want to see so we can give you suggestions.  Most likely cab to the pier will be easiest with luggage.  If you’re in midtown, subway is the best way to get to the Statue of Liberty ferry.

Heres a map for you - http://web.mta.info/maps/Large_Print_Map.pdf

I'd say that the MTA is safe and efficient, and generally the best form of transportation where it goes. It has its quirks, but New Yorkers are incredibly helpful (other than arguably morning and evening rush hours...).

Along with Carol's link for the subway map, the MTA web page is a wealth of information. It's not perfect, but Google Maps is a pretty good transit planner in Manhattan. It also gives you the option of looking at the options of walking, Uber, or transit. Uptown to Downtown or back, the subway is great. Crosstown takes some work.

If you have a hotel, and places you want to see, folks can give you a better idea of how hard or easy your travel will be by transit. Within Midtown, it may well be easier to walk, depending on how far you're going.

Since you are interested in visiting all areas of the city, look for deals in all areas. For example on weekends, fantastic deals in the Financial District can be found. Then you can easily walk to the ferry to Ellis Island and have easy access to subways to theater district. 

Subway is by far the cheapest and usually the fastest way to get around NYC.  Use the MTA tripplanner, or citymapper or google maps to plan your trips and do so before you go underground where wifi can be hard to find.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would advise taking a bus in Manhattan. I lived in the city nearly all my life and have not been on the subway since 1990. Since you will be there in June the weather will be warm actually hot and you can do a lot of walking if physically able.

The bus is fine if you have no time restraints. But if you need to go from Times Square to Battery Park it’s excruciatingly slow. 

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a lot of crime on NYC subways. I am 6''5 and a former semi-pro basketball player. I was mugged by a guy with a knife.If I was approachable anybody else can be ,especially tourists.

If you have time ,take a bus .

You previously stated you haven’t been on a subway since 1990. I don’t know the particulars of your mugging but the subway is safe now. Stop scaring people. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

You previously stated you haven’t been on a subway since 1990. I don’t know the particulars of your mugging but the subway is safe now. Stop scaring people. 

Manhattan was creepy in the subway around 1990 if I remember correctly.  My kids were wide eyed seeing the “shopping cart” folks in the underground connecting walkways and the homeless camped out by the Penn Station and Grand Central rest rooms.  My granddaughters didn’t see anything like that when they visited Manhattan two summers ago and they really enjoyed the subway rides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a lot of crime on NYC subways. I am 6''5 and a former semi-pro basketball player. I was mugged by a guy with a knife.If I was approachable anybody else can be ,especially tourists.

If you have time ,take a bus .

i am sorry.  i take subways all hours of day and night.  This, generally speaking , is false.  Im sure someone will go and dig up stats in a NY Minute but I think you are at risk of being mugged on a street as much as you are in the subway, and both are pretty minimal, statistically.  The city has gotten so much safer and better.  Use common sense, stay in the area close to people whenever possible, keep one headphone out at all times, be aware of whats happening. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Thank you!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I would and I have.

You haven't ridden the subway in nearly 30 years, you shouldn't give advice.

And I won't give advice on semi-pro basketball. Deal?

39 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I would and I have.

39 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I would and I have.

I would doubt very much that you were on the L train after midnight traveling from 14 St and 8th. Ave to Rockaway Parkway.

27 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

oh, so now it has to be specific stations?

Started at Union Square to Bushwick.  If it matters.

Don't expect another reply from me in this thread, it's not helpful to the community

27 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

oh, so now it has to be specific stations?

Started at Union Square to Bushwick.  If it matters.

Don't expect another reply from me in this thread, it's not helpful to the community

My point is that the L train goes through some of the highest crime areas in NYC .Traveling from Union Sq to Bushwick  is a rellatively safe ride.

The typical tourist walks around with a camera and maps and is prey to muggers.

My kids and I were in NYC this past December and we tried out the subway for ourselves. Granted my "kids" are 22 and 17 lol but we come from such a small town, the one and only red light turns to blinking at 11 pm. My point is, if we felt safe on and could figure out the NY subway system, anyone can. We didn't see many employees but if we had a question we asked someone just walking by or standing near by and everyone was helpful and friendly. Did we see homeless people? Yes. Did we see rats down on the rails? Yes. Did we ever feel unsafe? No. And we did travel from Times Square to Battery Park and it took us maybe 20 minutes. The only thing I guess I wasn't expecting was all the walking and stairs, lol. I guess I imagined there would be escalators at every stop. We are planning on going back to NYC next December and we are already planning our day and figuring out our routes. Go for it, if you get lost just go back the way you came. That was our motto. But we didn't get lost!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I would advise taking a bus in Manhattan. I lived in the city nearly all my life and have not been on the subway since 1990. Since you will be there in June the weather will be warm actually hot and you can do a lot of walking if physically able.

So you haven't been on the subway in almost 3 decades?  You might find it very different now.  When I visit NYC I have no hesitation in taking the subway, as it's generally MUCH faster than cab/bus.  

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My point is that the L train goes through some of the highest crime areas in NYC .Traveling from Union Sq to Bushwick  is a rellatively safe ride.

But the typical tourist is not likely taking a midnight train to Bushwick Ave.    Please! 

As with anything, be street smart.  Don't open your wallet and flash cash in public, be aware of your surroundings, etc. and if you're traveling late at night, a cab/Uber may well be almost as fast as the subway so certainly consider that if you do happen to be headed to an area known for higher crime or you're by yourself.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Great that you feel safe on NYC subways. Many people that I know personally have had negative experiences on NYC subways.Would you take the L train after midnight,I think not.

It sounds like most people you know personally do not reside in the 5 boroughs...  just saying.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When i was a kid traveling in some of the areas you have mentioned was not even possible.  I would never feel safe in Bushwick.  And the guy I dated at the time, who was black, was not able to walk me from the train because I lived in Bensonhurst.  We now live in a City that is safer than it ever was.  Do bad things happen?  Sure they do.  Does that mean that tourists should take the bus because going down in the subway would put them in danger?  That is ludicrous and not statistically valid.  But yeah, some people want to hold on to their fears.  

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Great that you feel safe on NYC subways. Many people that I know personally have had negative experiences on NYC subways.Would you take the L train after midnight,I think not.

also, to answer your question directly.   I go out every Friday.  Prior to figuring out that parking is not an issue in the area I go to, I took the train there and back.  Coming back at about 3am-5am.  Not the L train, but I can give you specific lines if you really want.  Never an issue.

I drive now because I'm not a drinker and its more convenient and because I love to drive.  Not because I felt the subway was dangerous.. If anything, I am more concerned about the walk from the train to my apartment lol.