Travel Insurance - if you have it use it!

kdkstormy

Hi everyone.

just wanted to share an experience, not cruising, but from our recent all inclusive vacation in Mexico

Mid way through the week, I injured my foot.  Wasn’t looking where I was going and tripped.  As it was able to walk on it I thought it was just a bad bruise or maybe a crack.  So decided to just take it easy for the rest of the week and lounge around the pool and have it looked at when I get home.

So when we got home yesterday I drove myself to the hospital with no issues (it’s my right foot) thinking I’m wasting their time as it is likely bad bruising.  Only to find out I broke the 5th metatarsal (bigger bone on the baby toe side).  

Had to call my hubby come down and get me and the car as I shouldn’t be driving.  Now have an air cast and an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon on Monday at the cast clinic.  I have an air cast for now, but may need surgery as I waited to have it looked at.  We have travel medical insurance and I should have used it,  may have prevented the possible need for surgery as I walked on my foot for four days.  While I didn’t walk around much, may have done more damage.

So so my point is, have travel medical and use it if you need to!

On 1/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, kdkstormy said:

Hi everyone.

just wanted to share an experience, not cruising, but from our recent all inclusive vacation in Mexico

Mid way through the week, I injured my foot.  Wasn’t looking where I was going and tripped.  As it was able to walk on it I thought it was just a bad bruise or maybe a crack.  So decided to just take it easy for the rest of the week and lounge around the pool and have it looked at when I get home.

So when we got home yesterday I drove myself to the hospital with no issues (it’s my right foot) thinking I’m wasting their time as it is likely bad bruising.  Only to find out I broke the 5th metatarsal (bigger bone on the baby toe side).  

Had to call my hubby come down and get me and the car as I shouldn’t be driving.  Now have an air cast and an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon on Monday at the cast clinic.  I have an air cast for now, but may need surgery as I waited to have it looked at.  We have travel medical insurance and I should have used it,  may have prevented the possible need for surgery as I walked on my foot for four days.  While I didn’t walk around much, may have done more damage.

So so my point is, have travel medical and use it if you need to!

Very sorry this happened to you. Do you know if the ship you were on has x-ray facilities on board or would you have had to go ashore at a port stop to have it x-rayed?

5 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Can't you still file a claim with your travel insurance, if you have any copays, etc.?  You were injured during a coverage period.

I didn't seek medical attention so nothing to claim.  Here in Canada our medical is all covered by our health care system.