Baltimore - Train Vs Drive

Friends did this. They stayed at a hotel in the Inner Harbor for the night, did some sightseeing and then got a cab to the ship.  There are several posts in here naming hotels with shuttles to cruise port

Edited by Host Carolyn

You don't really need a shuttle, as the port is quite close to the Inner Harbor.  Taxi, Uber, Lyft will be not to expensive.

You can also take the train down to the BWI airport stop and catch a shuttle to one of the MANY hotels in that area.   Still not too far from the port.

Edited by SRF

15 hours ago, SRF said:

You don't really need a shuttle, as the port is quite close to the Inner Harbor.  Taxi, Uber, Lyft will be not to expensive.

You can also take the train down to the BWI airport stop and catch a shuttle to one of the MANY hotels in that area.   Still not too far from the port.

If your coming from Raleigh, you would have to change trains at DC for BWI. Silver Star and Carolinian do not stop at BWI

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

I can tell you I ride Amtrak the Northeast Corridor frequently. So I am not famiiar going south to north.  We went last July. I can give some travel advice. Penn Station to Inner Harbor easy to get a cab but navigating around the Inner Harbor. The port was about a short 10 minute ride from the hotel.(don't walk it) Uber or Lyft (Baltimore  had ads all over the Inner Harbor)is your best bet anywhere beyond Inner Harbor.  The water taxi is not as reliable unless you go from Inner Harbor to Fells Point. It takes 3 days tops to visit Baltimore( if you go to Fort  Mc Henry or B& O railroad museum they both take a half a day in itself. Fells Point is quirky shopping and good local eateries. Inner Harbor is your touristy chain restaurants.  

A quick search on taxifarefinder.com shows a fare from Penn Station to the Inner Harbor of about $20, and a little less from the Inner Harbor to the cruise terminal. So figure $50  or less for cab fare, and probably better for Uber. I wouldn't let a shuttle drive my hotel choice.

So, for something completely different. If you're into the train, and interested in a nice, but slightly different hotel, may I suggest the Monaco. It's slightly away from the Inner Harbor. It has an amazing restaurant and bar on site. AND, it's located in the original B&O Railroad Headquarters. Like most Kimpton properties, it's a little quirky, but it's a nice hotel.

The variable on this is when are you getting to town? Are you simply looking for a place to stay, or are you planning on exploring? You can explore the Inner Harbor into Harbor East from the Monaco, but you are a couple of blocks away from the Inner Harbor. If you want to explore beyond the Inner Harbor, then I'd tend to look at Harbor East these days as things are shifting toward Harbor East into Fells Point. But, if you're getting in late afternoon, and want a nice place to spend the evening, with a nice place to eat and have a drink, (and have made the choice of taking the train!), then at least look at the Monaco.

• Baltimore Penn Station (not BWI) is almost a straight 5-mile shot to the cruise terminal. You will drive through the Inner Harbor area. You can taxi, Uber or Lyft from any hotel in the Inner Harbor or Harbor East to the cruise port, which should take 10-15 minutes. There is a Holiday Inn Express with a shuttle to Cruise Maryland and The Admiral Fell Inn may still provide a shuttle, not sure.