Prague or Budapest Viking extensions

chitta12

Never been to Prague, but I'd highly recommend extending in Budapest! We did an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise the other year and added 2 days in Budapest. It was great. 2 days really wasn't even enough - could have done more. There are many interesting things to see. Some suggestions:  The Rock Church, Shoes on the Danube, Parliament, Great Market Hall, Dohany Street Synagogue and Holocaust Memorials (there are several around the city), Jewish Museum, as well as touring the Opera. Then there are the famous Baths but we chose not to do those. Also, we had some fantastic meals at neat cafes that we came across. Food was delicious. The city is very walkable. Pick up a Rick Steves book on Budapest. That's what we used. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

Simple solution to this for the OP....why not book both pre and post extensions? Unless other considerations preclude this as being an option, it sounds like Prague would be well worth it, and certainly Budapest is as well. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

If you are talking extensions to book with Viking,  I would suggest Prague.  There is lots to see & do - and then they will get you to your boat for your cruise.  It isn't a particularly easy transfer to make on your own.

Give your age(s) - is there a possibility to stay a few days after your trip on your own?  (Am assuming you don't have to hurry back for work...) Budapest is very easy to do by yourself - many hotels close to the river, easily walkable, lots to see & do without needing Viking's assistance.  And, it is easy to get to the airport on your own.  I understand that a taxi is easy for any hotel to arrange.  We have used a private transfer a few times - have been pleased with both the cost and the service. 

We have been to both cities - and if I had to choose one over the other, it would always be Budapest.  One of our favourite cities in Europe.  We have  been there  at the beginning or end of a river cruise 3 times so far (extended twice on our own) and would love an opportunity to go back again.

Fran

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to both cities and can recommend them both.   However, one thing to consider is pre or post stay.   I much prefer pre cruise stays.   First you get a chance to adjust to time differences before your cruise.  Plus on our viking Danube cruise (with Prague pre cruise stay) the airlines lost my wife's luggage but not mine.    They were not able to deliver it to the Prague hotel until 2 full days after we flew into Prague.    Without the pre cruise stay we would have been on the boat.  I have to think delivering the luggage would be that much more complicated if you are already on the boat and traveling down the river.  

Of course there are also flight cancellations to consider.   

Just my thoughts.... Have fun

Thanks for all the input! FYI, we decided to do the Prague extension for several reasons. We will get to spend a little time in Budapest at the end of our cruise but Prague is not part of our cruise at the beginning so a pre-extension in Prague will allow us to see both. (We don’t have time to do a pre and post extension). Seeing Prague’s amazing history and architecture that were not destroyed in the war like so much of Budapest is very appealing. It’s nice to have a couple of days pre-cruise somewhere to recover from long flights so since we would have arrived early anyway, we decided to take advantage of Prague and esp. the ease of  a Viking transfer. Getting ourselves off a plane in Munich exhausted and making our own way to Passau a day before the cruise to the ship seemed daunting as did flying into Prague and independently getting down to Passau (abt 3 hours). Whereas now we fly into Prague, get picked up by Viking and voila we are at the hotel. After the cruise, Viking takes us the short distance to the Budapest airport.  Thanks again for your ideas.

• Like 1