Star Pride compared to others in the fleet

beachtrl

We recently cruised on the Star Breeze and while in need of some updates it was in reasonably good shape. We are scheduled to cruise in the spring on the Star Pride and while I realize that all these motor yachts are scheduled for major rehabilitation, it does seem that the Star Pride passengers reviews from engine issues to overall condition are generally not so good compare to the others motor ships in the fleet. Anyone care to weigh in...

Beachfront,

We have never been on Star Breeze but have done both Legend (2017) and Pride (2016 and 2018) and I would think they are all probably in same shape.  We had a 2.5 hour engine failure on the Legend in the Caribbean in 2017 and some air conditioning issues on the Pride both times we took it.  Other than that, we know the ships are not new going in so it’s not a problem for us.  The refurb sure will help but would expect prices to go up as a result.  Sailing on the Wind Surf in a couple of weeks after 3 years of motor yacht cruises.  Looking forward to go back to the sail ships as they seem to be less prone to issues

Hi Beachfront,

I am laughing as I read Misty Morning's post and it looks like we have copied their cruises!  We were on the Legend in 2017 and absolutely loved it.  We had heard about previous engine problems and the cruise before us had tender boat problems but our cruise was perfect and we loved the ship.  The staff knew us by name and we loved the rooms.  We then  went on the Star Pride this past fall and were not as impressed with the ship but still loved the cruise as we are leaving on the Wind Spirit tomorrow for the 10 day Tahiti cruise. We got a flash deal!

The Star Pride was showing more wear and tear than the Legend in 2017 and our room definitely looked older.  This time  one of the tender boats had engine trouble the whole time and it really affected our St Lucia day as no one could get off the boat until 10 am. (anchored at 8 am) They were taking supplies over to the island for the picnic on shore.  So the delay knocked us our of independently going into St Lucia that morning.   We had to wait for the tender boat the other days as the first one was always filled with the passengers who booked a Windstar excursion.  Not major delays but we never waited on the Legend with two boats.  The tender boats definitely need renovated but still debarkation so much faster and better than the big ships.  I am so excited to try one of the "sailing" ships. 

As we always plan our own excursions, having issues with the tenders would greatly impact our plans. I hope that is not case with our upcoming cruise!  We have been on the Surf a few times and really enjoyed the ship. It would be our first choice but the itineraries lead us to different vessels.  

We were on the Star Pride  36 days this summer.  The ship badly needs renovation.  The cabin and bathroom were very worn. Difficulties with heat and AC.  The tenders were a huge issue in  Northern Ireland, Faroe Is. and Iceland.  They seem in dismal and unsafe shape.  The overhead hatch on both did not seal and water would pour in, if the sea was rough at all. Many times only one tender was working. Once I literally felt we were taking our lives in their hands.  The crew is great and go over and above trying to make things safe for everyone.  The food and all dining personnel are really good. 

You can can look at the review I wrote for Star Pride for more detail.  I realize that on a shorter cruise, one may not run into any issues.  I would not consider taking the motor yachts again, until many things were changed. They seem to be doing complete renovations, cutting the ships in half and inserting a new section etc. New tenders were mentioned.  Much better experience on the sailing ships in the past.

We were on the Star Breeze last September travelling Ireland/Scotland. For the most part all was OK, the ship needed some care but not like the tales I have been hearing regarding the Star Pride. In colder weather cruising there was just not enough room for morning breakfast. I'm sure that will be resolved when the ships are refurbished. 

That said, understanding the importance of the tenders, it sure would be nice to have issues like those resolved and not reoccurring.  

We were recently (Oct-Nov 2018) on the Star Legend in Asia, and the Star Breeze Panama-CR last week. I didn't see major physical differences, although OUR Breeze suite had some drawers that did not latch shut as you need on a ship! The biggest difference was ... management. Star Legend, at that time, was much better managed and had better service experiences. (No difference in excellent cabin cleaning. I mean the rest of the ship.) Not incidentally, we saw the Hotel Manager roaming all over the Star Legend, and we only saw the Breeze Hotel Manager at officer introductions!

I hasten to add that the Breeze Captain was personable and very experienced. He handled local Panamanian errors at the canal perfectly, avoiding any delays for us whatsoever. And he warned us in advance that Quepos might have high swells that would prevent water-sports deployment. He said he's tried every possible anchoring place over the years, and you can't avoid it. Also had some rolling at anchor from 2PM to 5PM.

Just a FYI:

I am also scheduled to be on the Star Pride at the end of May. I looked at her schedule and it looks like there is a gap in the schedule in Lisbon from April 1-12.  So I am guessing she would be in dry dock during that time? Correct me if I am wrong.  I have no idea what is being done while she is is dry dock though.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 12:16 PM, beachtrl said:

Just a FYI:

I am also scheduled to be on the Star Pride at the end of May. I looked at her schedule and it looks like there is a gap in the schedule in Lisbon from April 1-12.  So I am guessing she would be in dry dock during that time? Correct me if I am wrong.  I have no idea what is being done while she is is dry dock though.

Looks like Star Pride is in dry dock in Cadiz