Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mom33

Tote bags for beach port excursions?

Recommended Posts

We will be sailing on DCL for the first time in May. Do they supply tote bags to use ashore at the beach? We are used to receiving them on Princess. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supply? No. I would pack your own. either a tote bag or a backpack that can double as a carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gometros said:

Supply? No. I would pack your own. either a tote bag or a backpack that can double as a carry on.

 

Thank you for replying:classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you are on your second Disney cruise you will receive a bag of some sort (previously a beach bag, currently a small sling-style backpack) as a Castaway Club "welcome back" gift, but first time cruisers need to bring their own!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though we get, we always bring our own. It doubles as a carry on, and it's always good to have an extra bag. I would bring one with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, angie7911922 said:

Even though we get, we always bring our own. It doubles as a carry on, and it's always good to have an extra bag. I would bring one with you. 

 

Thank you, we plan to bring what we have and shop for a Disney one onboard. I don't think our Princess bag will go over well.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mom33 said:

 

Thank you, we plan to bring what we have and shop for a Disney one onboard. I don't think our Princess bag will go over well.😉

 

I caught the smiley, but I wouldn't worry about it. You know how much UNiversal gear I see in the Disney parks all the time? I actually use a little wallet for my KTTW card that I got on Princess, since I hate having things hang around my neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have many Princess bags as we have sailed with Princess many times.

We do not choose to bring the bags off the ship as it can be a clear signal that we are cruise passengers visiting a port. Of course,we might be recognized as tourists,but we try to blend in whenever possible.

I pack a tote used for beach visits etc. The Princess bags are used at home as totes for various purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, Mom33 said:

We will be sailing on DCL for the first time in May. Do they supply tote bags to use ashore at the beach? We are used to receiving them on Princess. Thank you.

Not for first time DCL cruisers.  There are bags given to returning cruisers on subsequent cruises, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing is that the bags DCL gives to return cruisers (one per cabin), are good quality...not  like the stuff Princess gives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I may, having just returned from a cruise, I found that bringing a hydration pack like a Camelbak or similar was an excellent choice for going ashore.  Our cabin attendant happily filled the hydration bladder with ice, we filled it with drinking water, and the backpack not only held extra clothes, sunblock, GoPros, etc. but also was great for carrying snacks and so on as you explored each port.  Better than any bag supplied by the cruise line, if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, Mom33 said:

 

Thank you, we plan to bring what we have and shop for a Disney one onboard. I don't think our Princess bag will go over well.😉

I have used similar to my advantage.  

 

E.g. 1.  Proudly display Princess bag. 2. Start chatting with crew member in charge of dispersing bags you are not eligible for.  3.  Wait for them to joke about your bag being “out of place” 4. Offer to trade.  About half the time you will score the item for free.  (Sometimes they have an exact count so they can’t.  But if you are very friendly and they have extras it isn’t hard to score some swag you aren’t eligible for)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever seen this happen ON DCL?  I agree that on Princess and some other lines, there are lots of bags around, hosts use them for supplies on their carts, etc.    The bags on DCL are much higher quality and come to your name with a personal tag on them.  We've also been on DCL cruises where we were asked to sign a form indicating that we had received the "return cruiser" gift.   They are not in excess numbers, left on host carts, etc., and I've never seen them be available to cabins that were not designated to receive them.  
In fact, when we had one stolen as asked at Guest Services.  We could not even purchase a replacement.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Have you ever seen this happen ON DCL?  I agree that on Princess and some other lines, there are lots of bags around, hosts use them for supplies on their carts, etc.    The bags on DCL are much higher quality and come to your name with a personal tag on them.  We've also been on DCL cruises where we were asked to sign a form indicating that we had received the "return cruiser" gift.   They are not in excess numbers, left on host carts, etc., and I've never seen them be available to cabins that were not designated to receive them.  
In fact, when we had one stolen as asked at Guest Services.  We could not even purchase a replacement.

 

To the best of my recollection, never scored a bag on DCL using this method.  I have scored a variety of swag this way in many places using a variety of methods.  I do it mostly for fun.

 

I am also something a contrarian....wearing my Harry Potter tee shirt to Magic Kingdom and the next day wearing a Mickey Mouse tee shirt to Universal Studios.  So I never bring anything that has the “correct” cruise line logo, but everything I own from other lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issue with the competitors shirts, etc.  Just didn't want people to think they could talk their way into the return cruiser gift if they were not a return cruiser. (or had one in the cabin as the gift is one per cabin).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...