Hawaii excursion recommendations

Jetty John

1 hour ago, lovebears said:

Who did you book the "hippie dude"😂 through. Your itinerary in Hilo sounds great!

Beachiekeen is correct. Kamaaina Custom Tours. Booked direct through his website and paid in cash at the end of the tour. Pricing was extremely reasonable (only $475 for a completely customized private SUV tour including at the port pickup/drop off for just us for the whole day) so we gave a generous additional tip. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovebears said:

Thanks so much! I just emailed through the website. It looks like just what we want. Did you choose your stops or did he suggest them? We have toured with Ken & Marylou 5 yrs ago. Am crazy for the turtles!

A combination of both. I specifically requested the one waterfall. He gave us options for everything else and we chose from his suggestions. We had an initial itinerary planned, but then we re-evaluated when we got there because due to conditions our time in port was cut short (they docked late plus all aboard was moved up an hour). We actually re-evaluated several times during the day just to make sure we were still good on time.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:48 PM, faerievert said:

A combination of both. I specifically requested the one waterfall. He gave us options for everything else and we chose from his suggestions. We had an initial itinerary planned, but then we re-evaluated when we got there because due to conditions our time in port was cut short (they docked late plus all aboard was moved up an hour). We actually re-evaluated several times during the day just to make sure we were still good on time.

Curious what you saw and wonder if you wished you would have skipped any of it. We are considering the "Kilauea Volcano Tour" as we really want to see Volcanoes National Park. I know for sure the Jagger Museum is closed, and I think also the Thurston Lava Tube (but don't quote me on that). Sea turtles are also high on our list.

11 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Curious what you saw and wonder if you wished you would have skipped any of it. We are considering the "Kilauea Volcano Tour" as we really want to see Volcanoes National Park. I know for sure the Jagger Museum is closed, and I think also the Thurston Lava Tube (but don't quote me on that). Sea turtles are also high on our list.

I know as of three weeks ago the Thurston Lava tube was still closed. We are working with a Tours by Local guide on an alternate lava tube to explore in the event that Thurston has not reopened by October of this year.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 8:31 PM, TwinMamainMN said:

Everything I saw was worthwhile. We were advised to skip the national park. It's quite a drive, and would mean skipping most of the rest of the other places we went. Given that we were there less than two weeks after the government shutdown, almost nothing in the park was up and running. The trails I wanted to walk: closed. The lava tube: closed. The museum: closed. I'd rather see more of the local flavor than take the long drive to see dormant, rocky lava fields at a distance from anything interesting.

The turtle cover is definitely worth it if anyone is willing to get in the water (grab a little sea grass from the water line on your way in so you can feed them). Loved the water falls. Seeing the "new beach" was pretty cool, but probably the least impressive thing. Stopped at a couple scenic outlooks that were just out of this world. I really don't think there are any bad choices. 

On 7/29/2019 at 10:20 PM, faerievert said:

We were advised to skip the national park. It's quite a drive, and would mean skipping most of the rest of the other places we went. Given that we were there less than two weeks after the government shutdown, almost nothing in the park was up and running. The trails I wanted to walk: closed. The lava tube: closed. The museum: closed. I'd rather see more of the local flavor than take the long drive to see dormant, rocky lava fields at a distance from anything interesting.

I can respect that absolutely, but we love visiting the National Parks and have a goal to see them all. Your point is well taken though, and would mean I'd have an excuse to go back to Hawaii when I can spend more time on that island. Lots to consider.

• 1 month later...

Love the suggestions in this thread!

We'll be on the star princess in December.

Dec 24 Honolulu, Oahu 

Dec 25 Kauai (nawiliwili)

Dec 26 lahaina, maui

Dec 27 hilo, Hawaii 

My question is: Does it matter which island to take a whale watching tour from? Will you have a similar experience from them all?

I think that the whale watching tours from Lahaina or Maalaea Harbor on Maui are the best.  I have enjoyed boat tours from Maui and also enjoyed watching whales off the coast of Oahu and Hawaii.  I think there is more of a chance to see whales on a boating tour from Maui during whale season.

And, re a visit to VNP...last year I took two guests to VNP the day after the park reopened.  I knew what was not open and available but they thoroughly enjoyed it.  The rangers at the visitor's center are great and seeing the caldera from a couple vantage points was amazing.  The steam vents are going strong.  If possible take the time to walk behind the Volcano House, where I think one of the best views is available.  This is easily comibined with lunch at the Kilauea Lodge and then a stop at one of the beaches for a swim and to see turtles.

I don't visit the macadamia nut farms or orchid farms.  I love the Hilo Farmer's Market for flowers and a couple of the waterfalls, but if this was my only visit to Hilo I wouldn't miss VNP.  JMO  Cherie 

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We rented a car at each port. Hilo went to Volcano Nat'l Park, waterfalls, up to the north. Kona went to Place of refuge and snorkeled at two step. Beautiful!! Ate at a quaint spot overlooking Cook Monument. Maui we went all over. Snorkeled  a couple places NW side, went to SW to watch sunset. I wasn't a big fan Lahaina - just so touristy, but lovely. Kauai was my absolute favorite!! Go all the way north to KEE' Beach if waves are down to snorkel and see beautiful scenery! Hanalei is like old Hawaii. We stopped at what used to be the Princeville resort and knew we had to return so we spent a week there later. The views are gorgeous! I love to snorkel so haven't been to Waimea Canyon. We have a cruise coming up we will visit the poipu area and possibly the canyon. I plan to visit the North shore of Oahu next cruise. I think I'd love that, too. I like nature and not too many crowds, though.