Any insight for surviving interior rm for 3 on Breeze?

flwinejunkie

Hi!

I'm cruising on the Carnival Breeze in Dec.  DH and I usually cruise in interior rooms, but this is the 1st time MIL will be staying in the same room with us.  We'll be in an interior spa room for 3 people.  They will be sleeping in single beds and I'll be in the pullman pulled down from the wall.

I appreciate any insight and feedback you can provide.

* How will I get into my bed?  Is there a little ladder?  Any estimate on how high it is off the floor?  

* Is my bed down all the time or is it put up during the day and pulled down at night?

* Is it difficult for a woman to shower and get ready for elegant night in the spa locker room?  Thinking it will be less chaotic if I do hair and make up in the spa instead of the room.  Does the locker room have hair dryers?

* Are we going to kill each other?  The 3 of us have never stayed in the same room before and I'm afraid it's going to be "too much togetherness".  

* Any survival tips?  My MIL usually finds a way to get on my last nerve, but I usually calm down after I spend some "me time" away.  I'm afraid it's going to be even worse since this is her first cruise and she won't want to adventure very far away from us.

Thanks for your help!

Are the 3 of you fairly neat, organized, or willing to try to be so on the cruise?  I think that is key.  If you can try to put things away & not leave everything out (I'm thinking of how my son can trash a cabin & how his room looks at home - this would be a bad thing cruising with 3 in an inside) it should be workable.

Over door clear shoe hanger, at least one really helps with things you want to keep handy but not leave out to be a clutter, or need to waste time looking for.    You can put it on the outside of the bathroom door, or over the closet door, and if others want to try to do hair or get to toiletries while someone else is in the bathroom they can still  get their things.

Try not to overpack, with 3 in a cabin there isn't a wealth of storage space unless its a very short cruise.  At least with how I pack, I always bring too much stuff.

Getting ready in the spa area sounds like a great idea.  I've heard others doing this and it really helps to not all use the same bathroom for getting ready.  

Pack air freshener for the bathroom.  Those fans don't always ventilate well, and you may really be glad to have something to spray to freshen the cabin especially with no way to get fresh air in the room / no balcony doors to open.  

A spa cabin on the Breeze? I'd spend all my "me time" in the spa, relaxing in the Thelassotherapy pool and on the heated loungers. Soak up all the relaxation and decadence the spa has to offer. It ought to be a huge help in letting go of mother-in-law related irritation. Good luck!

I just went on a cruise with my son (3years old) and my mom. It was awful honestly. I slept on the Pullman which was hard to get up and down in the middle of the night. It was very cramped for us! My mom is a neat freak and spent a lot of time obsessing over cleaning up. Maybe because you are in a spa room you can get a away more though! We don’t drink either so that might have helped 🤣

I cannot be of much help on answering your question, but insights above are all great! I would say plan your packing wisely, unpack and keep everything in its place once on board. I love the idea of using the shower space at the spa. 😉 I think you will be just fine on the pullman. There is a ladder, and if you can fit and are comfortable  you could just sleep on the sofa instead of having the bunk pulled down. ( they are close to the ceiling )  just have your steward make up your room in the am and evening.  We travel with our now 8 yr old Granddaughter. She tends to leave stuff out, but she knows now to return items to where they belong. We have it set up so she knows where to put her dirty clothes away etc. Also I think you will find that there will not be much time spent in the room at all. I certainly would not fret the small stuff! Enjoy your trip, I am sure it will be fun.

Feel free to move the beds around in the room.  My daughter and I just returned from the Paradise.  Upon entry into the room, just beyond the bathroom and closets, our beds were separated with just enough room to pass.  They were crossways in the room due to the built-in lights/headboard.  The night stand was in the corner.  We turned the beds around so they were running the length of the room and placed the nightstand in between.  It was amazing as to how much more room we had and how much bigger the room felt.  Our room steward was duly impressed with our rearrangement.   Just the same floor space in a different configuration made all of the difference!

On 1/21/2019 at 12:21 AM, flwinejunkie said:

Hi!

I'm cruising on the Carnival Breeze in Dec.  DH and I usually cruise in interior rooms, but this is the 1st time MIL will be staying in the same room with us.  We'll be in an interior spa room for 3 people.  They will be sleeping in single beds and I'll be in the pullman pulled down from the wall.

* How will I get into my bed?  Is there a little ladder?  Any estimate on how high it is off the floor?  

* Is my bed down all the time or is it put up during the day and pulled down at night?

* Is it difficult for a woman to shower and get ready for elegant night in the spa locker room?  Thinking it will be less chaotic if I do hair and make up in the spa instead of the room.  Does the locker room have hair dryers?

* Are we going to kill each other?  The 3 of us have never stayed in the same room before and I'm afraid it's going to be "too much togetherness".  

* Any survival tips?  My MIL usually finds a way to get on my last nerve, but I usually calm down after I spend some "me time" away.  I'm afraid it's going to be even worse since this is her first cruise and she won't want to adventure very far away from us.

Thanks for your help!

Good luck! Personally, I would not do it. I would have MIL in a separate inside cabin, but since she would have to pay double to be alone in a cabin, I’m sure that won’t be good. I like my privacy. We’ve done 4 in a balcony before, but it was our adult daughter’s. And thank god for the balcony, so hubby could sit out there while they dressed. Never again! Lol! The second time, we booked them their own cabin. 

I don't think most of the interiors have a sofa so that won't be an option, unless I'm wrong...

We had 3 women in an interior years ago... it wasn't bad except for one of the ladies who had digestive issues and refused to use the air freshener we brought!!!

The key is to do what you can to stay organized- over the door hangers, touch base on what each is bringing so as not to duplicate, make sure you put dirty laundry in your suitcases under each bed... minimize what you bring to avoid unnecessary clutter on the desk...

We were 3 ladies- a 75 YO, me- a 50 YO at the time, and a young'un of 38... we made her use the upper bunk! She really didn't mind it. It has a ladder. If you ask the steward he/she will put it away during the day to make more room... a few times he forgot and we just dealt with it.

You asked about how high the bunk was- sitting on the bottom bunk I could barely sit up straight without my head touching the top bunk, if that helps give you a sense of how far you have to climb. My friend was worried she'd have no room above her to roll over etc, and that she'd get claustrophobic, but she said it was just fine!

The biggest advice I can give you is to take advantage of as many activities out of your room as you can- if you're just cleaning up, dressing and sleeping in there it's not so stressful. And take advantage of the spa- you're so close and in my opinion the shower is much better than the one in the cabin! more spacious, more amenities... and when I was in a spa cabin on the breeze the spa did have hair dryers, so I presume they still do.

Just remember that only TWO in a spa cabin can take advantage of the free spa amenities, so the 3rd person is either out of luck or has to pay for the weekly pass (which is limited in quantity). So make sure you decide who (besides you!!!) gets to use the free spa pass!

Edited by Shaded Lady

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:21 AM, flwinejunkie said:

Hi!

Thanks for your help!

Hi Wine Junkie

I think you will be just fine. You don't mention what age group you fall into. 

I have travelled three in an interior with my wife and SIL, it's not unreasonable.

My thought was this. It's fine for you to go to the spa to get ready. My question is, why wouldn't you suggest this option for your husband to do? I regularly use the gym facilities after which I make use of the steam room/saunas (whatever is available on the ship) then shower and get ready for whatever is next. Normal bag holds all necessary clothes, etc... I can't imagine too many men who would want to get ready for dinner in the same room with their mother. 

have a great cruise

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:21 PM, flwinejunkie said:

Hi!

Thanks for your help!

Good luck....I know that couldn't be me.    You say your MIL finds a way to get on your last nerve and you have never stayed in the same room together? 

That can create all kinds of extra stress.   I don't go on vacation to have any stress at all.     How will you and your hubby have "alone" time?   

I love my balcony rooms for the added space of getting out of the way...we travel as me, my mom and dd 13.   My mom and I always travel together, so we have learned our way around...but I don't travel with a spouse either. 

Can you guys spring for a balcony cabin for all 3 together?  That would at least give you a bit more space.

Either way...have fun and I hope it all works out.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:21 AM, flwinejunkie said:

Thanks for your help!

I would find out of your home state has the death penalty or life imprisonment for homicide and decide if the punishment was worth it. 🤔

• Haha 3

Its not that bad.  I have been travelling 3 to an interior cabin for years.  It is generally me, DH & DS who is 16.  In the earlier years, we got one king bed and then the 1 pull down from the ceiling.  It was fine as my son stayed in the pull down.  We each travel with one piece of luggage and there is more than enough storage space for our items.  There is not a lot of room to move around but we generally are only in the room to sleep at night or rest up a bit in the day and then of course to change clothes.  In the last 2-3 years, we have been requesting 3 twin beds.  This works better than the king in my opinion.  Depending on the room layout if we have the two twin beds against each wall with a middle aisle then my son is able to sleep in one of the pull down beds from the wall and the ladder is positioned where when he walks down he is in the middle of the two twin beds.  When we had the king bed, it seems that he would always end up stepping on the bed.  However, on our last cruise, I picked the wrong room which did not have a pull down bed, it had a trundle bed.  Nothing coming out of the wall and this was not good.  They set up three twin beds right next to each other.  There was really no space between each bed so you had to almost crawl out of the bed in the middle of the night so as not to disturb the other two.  We managed as it was a 5 day/4 night cruise.  Never again will I choose the trundle set up.  Always get the third bed coming out of the wall.

We just stayed on a Breeze 2 weeks ago and had 3 in a interior.  Hubby myself and 20yo son. We had no problems. There is a ladder so you will be able to get into your bed.  My hubby and I would get ready for dinner and then leave the room so my son could get ready.  It all worked fine.  Good luck! 

Thanks everyone for your feedback!  I wanted to spring for the balcony but compromised and got the spa inside room instead.  

I laughed about the cheers suggestion and laughed even harder when Homosassa suggested looking into the penalty for homicide in my state!:classic_laugh::classic_tongue:  At least I can carry on a 3rd bottle of wine!

Sounds like I made a good decision to get the bed out of the wall.  MIL is late 70's and we're mid 50's.  I'm still pretty flexible and shouldn't have too much trouble climbing up and down the ladder.  Glad to hear the steward can put the bed up during the day to give us some more room walking around.  

I'm usually the one who creates all the clutter, so will definitely need to do better about finding a place for everything.  I've never tried the organizer over the door before so I'll give it a try this time.

My husband has showered in the spa before, but I've never tried it so was curious about the experience for a woman.  I'm not a prima donna but usually take extra time on hair and makeup for elegant night pictures and don't want to be competing for mirrors and space in the room.  Thanks for confirming hair dryer availability.  I should be fine getting ready there.

Oh well, everyone is right that we won't be spending much time in the room anyway.   I'm definitely planning to chill out in those marvelous warm loungers in the spa reading a book.  MIL will probably hit the slots on sea days and after dinner as long as she doesn't lose too much $ early.  

Thanks again for the suggestions!  Keep 'em coming!

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 1

Brave lady! Make sure you lock you rail(" to keep you from falling off), my son didn't pay attention and fell off the top bunk. Fortunately he fell on his brother 🤣before hitting the floor and only hurt his pride. But he was 9 and small so a bigger heavier person may not be so lucky. 

Organization is a must! Use the hangers they provide and bring a few extra just in case. I have a hanging makeup bag I like to use for toiletries. They will have three closets. Our interiors did at least. Set your boundaries. And just relax. It is a vacation and make the most out of it. There are plenty of good memories to be had.

• Like 1