Svolvaer or Stamsund for Lofoten in March?

Bella0714

My wife and I, both with extensive winter driving experience in the Northeast U.S., are planning to visit the Lofoten Islands for 5-7 days in March 2020. Our plan is to take Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes, spend a night or two in Kirkenes, then take Hurtigruten to the Lofoten Islands. Our original plan was to get off at Svolvaer (arrival 6:30 pm), spend a night in Svolvaer, rent a car then head south, perhaps making two bases, first in Hamnoy/Reine and then in the Ballstad area, before heading back to Svolvaer to catch the Hurtigruten southbound again.

But I've now read enough about driving in March, which is still the peak of winter, in Lofoten, to know that winter storms to know that weather might and probably will dictate our plans. My concern is that a bad winter storm could keep us from getting back to Svolvaer on that last day and also that the weather could, on some days, limit our driving or make it impossible altogether.

So now I'm wondering about the wisdom of getting off the ship in Stamsund instead, thereby being more centrally located on the island. The ship arrives at 10 p.m., so we could stay overnight at a lodging near the dock (perhaps Live Lofoten) then pick up our rental the following day and do as we had planned from Svolvaer: Reine/Hamnoy for three days or so then Ballstad, thereby keeping us closer to Stamsund, where we'll get back on the ship to head southbound.

Does this make sense? One concern I've read about is that Hurtigruten sometimes skips Stamsund in bad weather but rarely if ever skips Svolvaer. Is this a common occurence? I've already checked and it seems as if car rental in Stamsund/Leknes is not a problem.

Thanks,

Dave

Regarding driving at Lofoten I'll recommend to post that question at the 'Northern Europe & Baltic Sea' board - here many from Norway can answer your questions about weather and driving in March.

Do not expect extremely bad weather in March - and if a bad winter storm does hit the area I'll expect that both Stamsund and Svolvær can be hit - however Svolvær a bit more protected.

For Kirkenes I'll suggest two nights - visit to Snow hotel, with dinner,  snowmobile and King Crab safari, Husky safari and Aurora express - however not much to do and see in the small city of Kirkenes. I'll recommend Thon Hotel. If only one night you can consider a stay at the Snow hotel - temperature is 25F in the rooms - you'll be provided all necessary gear in order to survive the night.

I'll consider not sailing the last part from Lofoten to Bergen with Hurtigruten - I would rather end my tour in Bodø and then take the flight to Oslo - southbound there are no longer stops at the last part of the trip.

March will be a good time for Northern Lights both at Lofoten and further north - we did experience very nice Northern Lights both in Svolvær and in Kirkenes.

Thanks, hallasm. I'll do as you suggest. I've read over in the Tripadvisor Norway forum that March is one of the snowiest months in Lofoten and Northern Norway.

If we do as you suggest and fly back to Oslo from Bodo, Hurtigruten wouldn't be a good way option as it arrives in Bodo at 2:30 a.m. Also, if we're going to do it this way, we'd have to sail in and out of Svolvaer as there's no Stamsung-Bodo ferry (unless the drop-off fee in Svolvaer isn't too high, which it might not be since they're so close; I'd have to check).

My reason for choosing Stamsund over Svolvaer is its central location and the idea that the southernmost portion of Lofoten seems to be the most-scenic. That's really my main concern right now: Stamsund or Svolvaer for arrival in Lofoten.

I assume that you’ll stay some days at Lofoten. I would disembark in Svolvær due to the arrival time  - then you’ll be at a hotel at a reasonable time. Drive from Svolvær to Stamsund is an hour (weather depending). My suggestion for flying out of Bodø was  to either drive or take bus/ferry from Lofoten  to Bodø - diffetent alternatives.

Yes, we'll be spending five, six or seven days in Lofoten. Overnight on the first night in Stamsund/Svolvaer, three nights in Reine/Hamnoy then two or three nights further north, possibly Ballstad/Leknes area. Basically, concentrate our time in Lofoten i the southern and middle areas.