Disinfecting your cabin question.

TinkBellaMom

I use lots of 120 proof vodka - into my stomach.  If I drink enough of the stuff, I don't worry about germs - or anything else.  Has worked for me so far.  As far as the TV remote, who watches TV on a cruise.  Not me.

DON.  

9 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I always take Lysol wipes and wipe down certain parts of cabin, like remote, door handles etc.  

Just wondering what others do?  I know noro is sometimes impossible to avoid, but I would like to do everything I can do to lessen the chances.

Deb

We do the same at the start of every cruise...just makes us feel better.  One thing we do: we ask the cabin steward to put a bedsheet over the sofa or loveseat in the cabin. 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I always take Lysol wipes and wipe down certain parts of cabin, like remote, door handles etc.  

Just wondering what others do?  I know noro is sometimes impossible to avoid, but I would like to do everything I can do to lessen the chances.

Deb

On a recent cruise I was in a public bathroom and saw a guy leaving without washing his hands.I inquired as to why he did not and he replied that drying his hands with a paper towel would do harm to his hands.Since then we have been bringing lysol wipes to clean the cabin telephone ,tv remote,door handles ,etc.

I once had a serious mold allergy attack on a ship. Since then I sanitize the AC vent.  Otherwise I simply keep my own hands clean.  I have been doing international trade shows for years and handwashing has kept me healthy in most environments  

12 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Deb

You asked what others do. We do nothing. The best defense is to wash your hands often. If wiping down your cabin makes you feel better then you should do it, but I don't think that it does a think to protect against any virus and that is what is normally floating around on ships.

I noticed today that we are under a norovirus warning. Second notice in two weeks. No we are not on a cruise, just sitting at home in mid-Michigan reading the local paper. The County health authorities are warning people to wash their hands. I think the broader message is that there are microorganisms out there trying to attack us and we need to be vigilant! 

Or maybe the lesson is, relax and enjoy life. People get sick, people recover, usually, it just happens. There is no sense trying to walk around trying to sterilize every surface anywhere close to you. Wash your hands, cover your nose/mouth if you sneeze/cough, don’t eat food that was dropped on the floor, and enjoy the cruise. 

• Like 3

Regular strength Lysol is ineffective against Noro, the wipes are a total joke. To kill the bug, keep area WET with straight bleach for 5 minutes. Alcohol will work if you can keep it WET 15 minutes. 

WASH YOUR HANDS...KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH, NOSE AND EYES...

I don't do anything.  If it makes you feel better go right ahead. No one else is inconvenienced by your actions. 

What is a bit irksome however is sitting beside a person on an airplane who pulls out the wipes and insists on meticulously "sanitizing" the tray, arm rests, IFE screen and controls.  Once convinced their environment is improved they often proceed to put personal items into the seat back pocket for the duration of the flight.  Do they know what people put in these and how poorly they are cleaned? 

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I use lots of 120 proof vodka - into my stomach.  If I drink enough of the stuff, I don't worry about germs - or anything else.  Has worked for me so far.  As far as the TV remote, who watches TV on a cruise.  Not me.

DON.  

If we don't have a forward looking view (and those are not all that common and/or difficult to get), then we love to keep the TV on the Bridge View.  

Depending upon the weather, we might also take a quick look at the wind/wave info.

It's all part of the fun.

GC

On 1/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, time4u2go said:

We don't do anything.

This ^^^^^^^

They clean the rooms.  We wash our hands.

And being too clean has been linked to adult onset allergies and asthma.   Your immune system needs to be exercised also.

And I do the same (nothing) in hotels in 3rd world countries without problems.

I don't do any disinfecting at all. I have some holidaying to do!

Cleaning one room  (with watered down wipes) on a huge ship of thousands of surfaces housing several more thousands of bodies with varying seeping orifices to protect against germs is pointless.Only time I got sick on a ship was due to medication I reacted to.

You simply wash your hands regularly such as before and after going to the toilet and before eating/touching your face. Don't just rely on santizers the ship provide.

Reading this thread almost makes me feel some empathy for the germophobes of the world.  I cannot imagine going through life worrying about those little nasties (many of which are actually quite helpful).  I suspect that any possible gains (if any) of worrying about what to wipe down. what to seal in bags, etc.  increases the likelihood of illness related to increased anxiety.  Anxiety is a very serious problem in our society and likely causes more health related problems then Norovirus.   Just saying.

Hank

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a germophobe, but I'm a REALISTIC germophobe.  

What do I do?  I wash my hands.  

That's it.  

• Any time I'm in a bathroom, I wash my hands.  

• Any time I'm going to eat food / floss my teeth / put gum or a mint in my mouth, I wash my hands.  

• Any time I'm going to put my hands on my face, I wash my hands.

Been cruising since the 1980s, and never got noro/GI bugs.  I don't lick handrails or tv remotes, and I wash my hands.  

I'm an RN, and I take care of people with influenza, rhinovirus, adenovirus, parainfluenza, metapneumovirus, RSV, norovirus, C. diff..... and never catch any of them because of proper hand hygiene.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We do the same at the start of every cruise...just makes us feel better.  One thing we do: we ask the cabin steward to put a bedsheet over the sofa or loveseat in the cabin. 😁

Those sofas kinda gross me out too.  Good thing I'm usually too cheap to get a room with one.

1 minute ago, sprint180 said:

It's probably no different then touching the door at your local grocery.  Germs are everywhere.

All of our Grocery Stores have automatic doors 👍

TV Remotes are the #1 dirtiest item in hotel rooms and cruise cabins .

Guests touch them after doing some nasty things .

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm an RN, and I take care of people with influenza, rhinovirus, adenovirus, parainfluenza, metapneumovirus, RSV, norovirus, C. diff..... and never catch any of them because of proper hand hygiene.  

Hopefully your exam rooms are disinfected and everyone there isn't just relying on hand washing.

I go to the mall and lick the handrails a couple of months before my cruise to build up my immune system. Seriously my wife has a large in home daycare and we have strong immune systems from all those runny noses. We also are religious about washing our hands, all of the time.
Per hand washing, I commend those who do. Just make sure it's longer than a quick cursory wash.

Edited by Mike981
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

All of our Grocery Stores have automatic doors 👍

TV Remotes are the #1 dirtiest item in hotel rooms and cruise cabins .

Guests touch them after doing some nasty things .

OK not all doors are automatic.  My point is everythings you touch out in the public is nasty.  Grocery carts (since you don't touch the doors)  walls, money, everything.  People do nasty things and touch a lot of stuff.

26 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

OK not all doors are automatic.  My point is everythings you touch out in the public is nasty.  Grocery carts (since you don't touch the doors)  walls, money, everything.  People do nasty things and touch a lot of stuff.

And don't forget touch pads at grocery checkout lines, ATMs, security doors, etc. Hundreds if not thousands of people press those same buttons. Who knows where those fingers have been. 😮