In port overnight in San Francisco

Our spring cruise itinerary has us in San Francisco overnight. Being that it is a two day port call, I am just curious if there is a onboard curfew time that you need to be back on the ship  the evening of the first day?

I guess that would be up to the cruise line, which of course you don't specify.

In a docked situation (as opposed to a tendering operation) have never heard of a time where the ship has a curfew. It seems to always be treated as a hotel...come and go as you please.

Ok,  thank you for your reply. I just was not sure how it worked. I have never been on a cruise that has been in port overnight. We will be on the Royal Princess overnight in San Francisco in May. 

Edited by #1Nanna

Crew had a curfew when we did an overnight in SF, but no passengers (there was a huge scandal because someone on shore leave got so liquored-up they thought it better to sleep it off and return next morning than come back stinking drunk - by which point the authorities had been notified to ensure the cruise line wasn't accused of aiding & abetting an illegal immigration attempt by their crew member! All sorts of rumours went around as to the ultimate fate of the person, I heard everything from them being arrested, to being fired and flown home that day, to just having a 'final warning' added to their file...)

On 1/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, #1Nanna said:

Ok,  thank you for your reply. I just was not sure how it worked. I have never been on a cruise that has been in port overnight. We will be on the Royal Princess overnight in San Francisco in May. 

If you are planning on being outside, at night, in May, in San Francisco...be prepared for the cold...dress accordingly.

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

If you are planning on being outside, at night, in May, in San Francisco...be prepared for the cold...dress accordingly.

Hush!  Those hoodie sweat jackets are a major source of income for the Fisherman's Wharf merchants :classic_tongue:

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, grandmaa said:

Is there a problem walking around because of the homeless that inhabit the streets since the Royal will be in port overnight?  

Only in the sense that since it's dark at night, if you are wandering down poorly-lit alleys you might trip over some poor unfortunate bundled up in a sleeping bag. Unless you stumble onto the set of a B-movie in which the SF homeless have somehow contracted a flesh-eating zombie virus they're unlikely to be lurking in wait for tourists to murder... in the daytime you'll have to deal with beggars who are sensible enough to go where people with money are, but frankly even the most aggressive panhandling I've ever experienced on the Left Coast pales to insignificance compared to literally any caribbean cruise port vendors trying to sell you souvenirs or tours!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our overnight stay on board the Infinity in San Francisco is our favorite cruise.  We did it in October and weather was fabulous.....sailing under the GG bridge at around 4pm was wonderful,  and waking up to a view of Alcatraz and a shrouded GG bridge in the morning was the best.....hope you have a balcony.  We did this cruise in 2017 and at that time did not find a homeless/ pan handler problem in that area,  we had dinner on board then got off to walk the pier area at night.  The ship was open all night to come and go.  The next day we walked up the stairs to Coit tower as the ship is right below it.....thank God their is an elevator to get you to the top of the tower.....and I did it with a 5 month new right hip.  You'll enjoy it.

• 3 months later...