Can you do too much research?

No Bananas

I was directed here after booking our first cruise. Going to do a Mediterranean Cruise this summer.  With only 23 signed up for a Roll Call out of 5k guests I think I could get quicker answers here. This trip is our first trip to Euorope. We are using it as a trial to see places that we would like to come back to. We realize that 12 hours isn't enough time but to get a quick overview. From many Posts I have read here, Rome seems to require an excursion premium rather than DIY. For the sake of argument. A paid excursion to either the Vatican, or the Colosseum with time to grab something to eat. Then transportation back to the ship seems the best fit for us. My question is do I book something from this site, or through Royal Caribbean? I am going to join the roll call but didn't want to tie it up with newbie questions. TIA

You haven't said what cruise line you are sailing, as that might be the reason there are so few on your roll call.  I am assuming that your roll call is on a social media site, not the one here on Cruise Critic.  If your ship has a large proportion of locals, roll calls are not popular there.

Two things to consider.  You should get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read how you can do Rome on your own.  Getting there from the port in Civitavecchia will be the longest part.  We used the metro and walked all over the center or Rome, although on that trip we did not do the Vatican.  There is a forum here called Ports of Call, where you can get lots of advice on how to get the most from your day.  This is the portion for Europe:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

To find other Cruise Critic members who will be sailing with you, go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on your cruise line, then your ship, and look for a thread with the dates of your sailing.  Do not try to use the 'Find you roll call' tool.  EM

Are you planning on spending 2-3 pre cruise in your embarkation port?  You don't say where you are from but seriously jet lag is a bummer when you have such a port intensive cruise.   You'll be tired for the first two days and no way would I want to waste my port days trying to cope. 

Please go and have a look at the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe.  You can ask all kinds of newbie questions there no one will take offense.  There are people there who can tell you how to DIY every port.  Also go to your roll call and ask if anyone is looking to peole to share tours with.  You will get a lovely excrusion for way less than what the cruise line charges and it will be a lot cheaper. 

3 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Are you planning on spending 2-3 pre cruise in your embarkation port?  You don't say where you are from but seriously jet lag is a bummer when you have such a port intensive cruise.   You'll be tired for the first two days and no way would I want to waste my port days trying to cope. 

Please go and have a look at the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe.  You can ask all kinds of newbie questions there no one will take offense.  There are people there who can tell you how to DIY every port.  Also go to your roll call and ask if anyone is looking to peole to share tours with.  You will get a lovely excrusion for way less than what the cruise line charges and it will be a lot cheaper. 

Even better, find and book a 6-8 person full day excursion to Rome. Sites like Italy Day Tours or Tours by Locals, etc will offer attractive packages with the opportunity to customize. Once you have it locked in with the package you have designed, then go on your roll call and let them know they have have the opportunity to join you...

By the way, we spent a week in Rome a few years ago. If I were going to go there for a day, I wouldn’t do it. I would stay in Civitavechia. In fact that is what we did in November. Too much time spent traveling, not enough time onsite if visiting from the cruise port. But if there a few (FEW) sights you just must see, then limit yourselves, focus, focus, focus. 

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Thank you for the replies. The cruise is on Royal Caribbean. Rome is 1 of the Ports for a day. I'm going to do the Cruise Roll Call but wanted some info prior to registering as it seems most are seasoned travelers. From what I've read on the Ports of Call boards. Rome is a Port that a Cruise Line excursion would benefit a newbie. There is a comfort for a guarantee the ship will wait if something happens with the 45 min to 1 hour transit. We would like to see 1 site, the Vatican or the Colosseum. Then spend some time looking around then get to the ship on time. Again, we know there is a time restraint but would pay the premium to be back at the ship on time. I'm hoping that a group sign up through the Roll Call will work, just wanted some independent feedback. Thanks for your time and replies

We visited Rome on a cruise back in 2015 and due to the distance opted for a Ship's excursion. They provided timed entry tickets at the Vatican and Colosseum, so we skipped the huge queues at both venues.

If researching local tour operators, I would check if they provide "Skip the queue" timed entry tickets, as at the Vatican we waited about 5 mins after getting off the bus. The other queue was long and didn't move, while we were outside. At the Colosseum we waited a little longer.

Can you do too much research?  Nope!  I have been a very active independent traveler most of my life, seldom use tours, prefer to do my own thing, and have loved cruising and travel for over forty years.   For us, research simply defines our options.  The more we know, the better choices we can make and implement.   There are rare times when our research shows us that an excursion or tour is a good idea.  St Petersburg is now one of those places (we have also done this city on your own with personal Visas).  

We spend a lot of time researching public transportation (bus, subway, train) and rental car deals.  This is particularly important in Europe where all those options generally exist with their pros and cons.  Many other cruisers will simply book an excursion or tour which might be the best option for them.  But the funny thing about Europe (where we have traveled extensively for nearly forty years) is the more we have learned, the fewer tours/excursions we book.  I would estimate that with the exception of Russia we average 1 tour for about every 100 port calls.

Hank

To take a slightly 'contrarian' view, yes you can do too much research.    When I was working, we used to call it "Analysis Paralysis".    Nothing wrong with gathering lots of information, just know when it's time to make a decision and finalize your plans.    The most popular tours or the best cabins on a ship will book up early and you might miss out.

Edited by Kartgv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A ship's excursion is pretty "fool-proof"....you pay for it, show up, and they take care of EVERYTHING.  Yes...it's a large group on a bus or two (depending where you're going), but it's usually a good time.

Will you get more "quality" time on a private tour?  Maybe...but you have to do all the arranging, etc...

I find, if it's a place I'm comfortable with, and I can DIY...that's what I do.  If I'm unsure about the area, the language or transportation options, the ship will take good care of you.

15 hours ago, Kartgv said:

To take a slightly 'contrarian' view, yes you can do too much research.    When I was working, we used to call it "Analysis Paralysis".    Nothing wrong with gathering lots of information, just know when it's time to make a decision and finalize your plans.    The most popular tours or the best cabins on a ship will book up early and you might miss out.

This addresses the issue identified as the topic of this thread - of course you can do too much research: at some point you need to decide and proceed.

• Like 1

I would reiterate that research and planning are two different issues.  We do lots of pre-trip homework (research) but often do little planning for cruise port days.  Why?  Because we often prefer to check-out the weather, our moods, and just the feeling of the moment before we decide how we will spend our day.  The last time we were in Naples we decided, as we were walking off our ship, that we would go over to Molo Beverello and grab the ferry over to Procida.  On our way we ran into some friends (from another ship) and stopped to chat.  By the time we got to the ferry terminal we had "missed the boat"   No big deal because we had a few things we wanted to do in Naples so we just kept walking into town.  Or consider folks that had planned on going to Pompeii and perhaps pre-purchased non-refundable tickets or booked an overpriced excursion.  But the day they get to Naples there is an awful heat wave with temps in the high 90s plus high humidity.  Now they are stuck going to those ruins in the sweltering heat (trust me that Pompeii is no fun on a steaming day) rather then doing something more comfy such as jumping on the high speed jetboat to Capri.  In our case the research/homework helps define our options....   The reality is that the LACK of research is what locks one into a plan....which often has no flexibility.  In a sense, knowledge is power.

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you Hank. Your right. Planning and Research aren't the same. As I had first Posted this is our first trip to Europe. Of the Ports on the Itinerary I have been researching Rome and the best way to make use of the 12 hours. It's going to be 1 must see attraction, scratch the surface, and plan an extended stay for next trip. We already know that there is the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO) syndrome for vacations, but this trip isn't going to be one. The other ports allow us to navigate at our pace that seems to be your approach to a new location.

We almost never do ship tours; last one was maybe 8 years ago and was basically just transportation to the place we wanted to see.  We do a combo of DIY and private tours, using research here and other places and the roll call for our cruise.  We would do a ship tour only if no other feasible alternative was available, especially when the sights were far from port.

But, for one day in Rome, for a new cruiser, perhaps the ship tour, or joining a group on your roll call would be best.  You should be able to visit both the Vatican and Colosseum in one day and perhaps see some of the other sights, depending on time in port. 

We took the train into Rome with no problems, but, again, maybe not the best for a first timer. 

And yes, you can do too much research if it keeps you from making decisions.  I am somewhat prone to that.:)

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:22 PM, Kartgv said:

On 1/23/2019 at 7:01 AM, navybankerteacher said:

This addresses the issue identified as the topic of this thread - of course you can do too much research: at some point you need to decide and proceed.

I do all the research (and then some) to present to DW so that she can have the final say.😍

On 1/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, No Bananas said:

I was directed here after booking our first cruise. Going to do a Mediterranean Cruise this summer.  With only 23 signed up for a Roll Call out of 5k guests I think I could get quicker answers here. This trip is our first trip to Euorope. We are using it as a trial to see places that we would like to come back to. We realize that 12 hours isn't enough time but to get a quick overview. From many Posts I have read here, Rome seems to require an excursion premium rather than DIY. For the sake of argument. A paid excursion to either the Vatican, or the Colosseum with time to grab something to eat. Then transportation back to the ship seems the best fit for us. My question is do I book something from this site, or through Royal Caribbean? I am going to join the roll call but didn't want to tie it up with newbie questions. TIA

In my opinion you can do too much research, but I understand that it is sometimes beneficial depending on how you roll!

Since this is your first cruise and first trip to Europe I would suggest an excursion booked directly though Royal Caribbean to either the Vatican or the Colosseum.

I have found the "Roll Call" board for my upcoming cruise to be very slow compared to when I first started visiting this site. I chalk it up to so many avenues for cruise information now.

We also took a Mediterranean cruise on RCI (loved it!) that included Rome. However,  it was after having been to Rome twice on our own. There is so much to see and do, but pick one and get a taste. After your cruise you may want to do further exploration by air/land.

I'm also in the Northeast (Boston area)!

Part of your question seems to be whether to do the Vatican or the Colloseum - in my experience they take a very different amount of time to get through so that may be a factor in your decision. Colloseum would be a lot quicker to see than the Vatican. 

I haven’t seen the RCI excursion options but when I did the Vatican we paid a premium to enter a half hour prior to the general public. It was an early start (about 8.30) which might not be possible for you but if it is and you choose the Vatican definitely look it up, it was worth the premium to be getting to the Sistine Chapel before the hordes came in. 

I also did a premium tour of the Colloseum where a small group of us were personally guided by one of their archaeologists and we got to go below the ground level and also up to the top level that is closed to the public. Again very very worth it. 

The Colosseum has the benefit of being adjacent to the Forum so you’d be able to get in two amazing sites if you choose that option. 

Ugh, god I love Rome, now I need to go back. 

Two days after we booked our first cruise, I found these boards. Read for three weeks before we went to pick up tickets. Within minutes I realized I knew more than the TA. 

Been on these boards 17 years, 15 minutes ago I learned something new...

Again thank you all for the replies. The Roll Call now is kind of slow, hoping it will pick up. We are going to try and do the Vatican with a skip the line tour. I have been lurking on the boards. At first it's planning, now its fun reading. The experience and information that is shared is really appreciated.