Koningsdam - Aft 8190 or Large Balcony 4154

boxztrs

Would like some help in deciding cabin choice. We are doing the 22 day Transatlantic/Med and are trying to decide between two cabins:

#4154 - has a huge balcony, but no additional furniture

#8190 - aft facing balcony, leaning this way since a lot of sea days across Atlantic. Is an aft balcony less windy? Any issue with engine or prop wash noise?

Any input appreciated! Thanks

Haven't sailed on her yet but we do love aft cabins.  Having said that I would really love that larger balcony on 4154.  Those rooms always sell out fast.  Is there any difference in stateroom sq. ft.?

Not much help was I?  I would probably pick 4154.

We had an Aft vista on K'dam.  there was a noticeable wash noise at night. each morning there was soot on veranda and railing.  Also, noticed a bit of a wobble in the ship's rolling.  I wouldn't go for an aft again on K'dam.

We had 4154 2 years ago.  There is no difference in stateroom square feet, and no extra furniture for the huge balcony as already stated.  That said, we did enjoy that cabin and balcony!  I don't recall any noise or problems other than a few we had just because the ship was new.  They had to fix our shower (the door wouldn't stay shut) and a few other problems all quickly fixed.

We were in an aft facing cabin on deck 7 on KDam (this was the first time we had been in one). I would advise you that if you are at all bothered by cigarette smoke, or possible noise from deck chairs don’t book the aft cabin. We got some  smoke from those smoking on deck 9 and you would be one deck higher. I also had a bit of trouble adjusting at night sleeping as the bed is in a different orientation in the back staterooms. I did get used to it after a few nights. We also heard more wave noise on the back of the ship than we normally do in Verandah cabins. Hope this helps.

Cathy

I was in 4154 from Jan 4-13.  LOVED it.  It's twice as wide as a standard balcony.  all balconies (at least the back half of the ship) on deck 4 were also deeper than the ones above.  So the balcony is HUGE. 

There were 2 deck chairs with ottomans and a table.  We had a 3rd person in our cabin and the steward got us another chair - but it was a folding plastic chair.  The table was tiny (about big enough for two glasses).  I would have liked something more of a table.  (The chair in the 2nd pix is the desk chair from the room.)

KONINGSDAM4154- - 2.jpg

KONINGSDAM4154- - 1.jpg

We were just on K'dam and were in a 5th deck balcony above the 4th deck balconies.  We admired (& lusted at) the huge size of the ones below us!!! 

There was a table in the cabin in front of the little couch that was totally in the way of getting to the desk (my makeup station) or to the balcony door.  If I had the large balcony, I would have put that table outside on it.   Our balcony was too small to have the breakfast tray out there, so the larger one would have been soooo much nicer.  

Great pictures by the poster above!!! Those should seal you decision.

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

If available, I will only sail in aft staterooms on HAL.  There is no wind so you can eat on your balcony even when the ship is moving.  The view covers both sides of the ship so great photography.  Just off the Konigsdam in Decemnber and smelled no cigarette smoke or noticed any soot on the balcony.

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

If available, I will only sail in aft staterooms on HAL.  There is no wind so you can eat on your balcony even when the ship is moving.  The view covers both sides of the ship so great photography.  Just off the Konigsdam in Decemnber and smelled no cigarette smoke or noticed any soot on the balcony.

DW and I are the same, choosing an aft cabin whenever possible. We enjoyed 7194 for a 10 day Caribbean sailing on the K'Dam and wouldn't hesitate to repeat.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I are the same, choosing an aft cabin whenever possible. We enjoyed 7194 for a 10 day Caribbean sailing on the K'Dam and wouldn't hesitate to repeat.

Good to hear!  We are booked on the K in 7192 for 27 days this fall.  After having 4154 a couple years ago, we'll see which we like better.  

• 2 months later...

Does anyone remember the bed configuration of 4154 and 4152?

We booked these rooms (thank you for the photos!!) and are crossing our fingers for at least one drop down bunk so the kids don't have to sleep together.  If not, they can make do :).   

Thanks in advance.