Newbie needs help !

dazza007

Hi,

Me and my wife are just about to book a cruise, but being newbies we need some help please!

1. How does the dining system work, we want to book the 8pm slot on Anthems of the Sea, I notice there are 4 restaurants that can be used - how do they allocate tables?

2. We are getting a free drinks package on Royal Carribean, I see people mentioning that 15% tip is added to drinks - does this still apply with the packages?  

3. On the subject of tips - is it better to pay them in advance at time of booking or tip onboard ?

Thanks people

Dazza

Hello Dazza. Welcome to CC.

I will try to help answer your questions.

1. We haven't been on Anthem, but on most ships the main dining room is in the aft of the ship and covers 3 or 4 decks- hence the decks all have different names for the dining rooms. I am not exactly sure how the allocate the decks- some are reserved only for "my time dining" and the other decks for the traditional fixed seating. Hopefully someone who has been on Anthem will confirm or correct me.

2. Tips are included in the package. You do not need to add a tip unless you want to. Perhaps if you end up having a favorite bartender who is strong with the pours 😉

3. Unless you are planning to use on board credit for your tips, we tend to pre-pay the tips and then we don't have to worry about it. We will tip our steward or others a bit extra in cash at the end of the trip if we think that they did an extra good job for us.

May want to hop over the the RCC board for more help: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

Enjoy!

Edited by WisconsinFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the dining rooms have the same menu and suggested dress.

18% (they raised the tip amount) will be added to the cost of the PACKAGE...not "per drink".

If you don't pay your tips in advance, they will simply add them to your bill on a nightly basis.  Those tips cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter.  No further tips are needed.

• Like 1

Traditional dinning is around 6pm or 8pm and is deck 3 in Grand or Chick  MTD is your choice of time between 6 and 9 in American Icon or Silk . You can pre reserve time slots for MTD but not restaurants  You can choose early or late for traditional but not pick the restaurant.  What ever you choose you can not change during the week.  Once onboard it is possible to change assigned  restaurants if space is available in the type of dinning you choose.  In traditional you can ask for a table for 2 up to sitting with others at up to a 10 top. With MTD the default seating is for a 2 top but you can ask to sit with others at a large table if you wish.  Not nearly as complex as it sounds. But as Yoda said.. choose wisely.. happy cruising

• Like 1

Thank Guys, those are great answers.

I think were going to choose the 8:00pm sitting as the 5:30pm is too early. 

Drinks package is now all explained - thanks.

And we will prepay the tips as well, we will also keep some $$$ close by for tipping if we see its required.

Any other tips for newbie on Anthems of the Sea ?

Darren & Mandy

15 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Hello Dazza. Welcome to CC.

I will try to help answer your questions.

1. We haven't been on Anthem, but on most ships the main dining room is in the aft of the ship and covers 3 or 4 decks- hence the decks all have different names for the dining rooms. I am not exactly sure how the allocate the decks- some are reserved only for "my time dining" and the other decks for the traditional fixed seating. Hopefully someone who has been on Anthem will confirm or correct me.

2. Tips are included in the package. You do not need to add a tip unless you want to. Perhaps if you end up having a favorite bartender who is strong with the pours 😉

3. Unless you are planning to use on board credit for your tips, we tend to pre-pay the tips and then we don't have to worry about it. We will tip our steward or others a bit extra in cash at the end of the trip if we think that they did an extra good job for us.

May want to hop over the the RCC board for more help: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

Enjoy!

I agree with your posts points.

25 minutes ago, dazza007 said:

Thank Guys, those are great answers.

I think were going to choose the 8:00pm sitting as the 5:30pm is too early. 

Drinks package is now all explained - thanks.

And we will prepay the tips as well, we will also keep some $$$ close by for tipping if we see its required.

Any other tips for newbie on Anthems of the Sea ?

Darren & Mandy

Good stuff. Book in early for any of the things you want to do during the cruise.

• Like 1

Piggybacking on SRF's message -- you literally CANNOT do it all.  Don't even try.

I've been on three Oasis-class cruises (plus other non-Oasis cruises), and there are things I still haven't done yet.  But I've ALWAYS had a great time. 

If you don't get to do everything you wanted to do, that just means you need to go on another cruise!  (warning - it's addicting!)

• Like 1