Reducing food waste

I trust you’re committed to reducing the food waste primarily from the buffets. Can you tell about procedures and measures you have in place to minimize the food wast? Any differences from the Costal and expedition voyages?

• 3 weeks later...

Great question, and yes, reducing food waste is one of many commitments we’ve made on board our ships. On our cruises that travel along Norway's coast, we have what we call Norway's Coastal Kitchen, where around 80% of the food served comes from Norwegian suppliers. It’s important to us to use sustainable food products and we've even begun introducing a vegan menu on all of our sailings, which has become quite popular with our guests! Overall, we’ve committed to reducing food waste by 30% by 2021. We’ve implemented a real-time measurement of our food production to minimize food waste and we're pleased to announce that our early results show more than a 20% expected reduction. 

• 7 months later...

I want to say that the entire reason we are looking into a coastal cruise is because I happened to see that your cruises have this extensive vegan menu. We never even considered a Norwegian holiday until learning this, and are now planning to book for December instead of going to Greece. Quite the switch!