Star Flyer -- Athens to Venice -- August 29 to September 9, 2020

Ben2travel

Just booked our cabin!  It's still more than a year and a half out, but more time for anticipation, right?  Actually we wanted to go this fall (as it is our 30th anniversary), but by the time we got around to it all the cruises were sold out.  So I started looking for ones for 2020 and as soon as I saw them posted I called, but even they were almost full.  Anyway, this will be our first time on Star Clippers and we're excited.  Would love to hear from any fellow passengers who might be out there.  Advice from prior passengers also very welcomed!

• 2 months later...

My husband and I did our first Star Flyer cruise to Greece last year. We LOVED Athens. I highly recommend A market tour/ cooking class or Food tour while you're there! Also if you want to really surprise your wife, book a vacation photographer! I Loved getting our pictures together for our 15th anniversary as we strolled along the Plaka. They are the Best pictures I have of the two of us since our wedding. While my husband was a very good sport about the posing, he really enjoyed the walking tour that went along with finding those good shots, and he does love the pictures. I'm guessing your wife would be thrilled! (Just be sure to let her know that morning if its going to be a surprise so she can look her best!)

It was easy to get around using the subway which was clearly marked and seemed quite safe. We did take the train out to the cruise ship, and although the entrance to the piers was right across the street from the station stop, OUR ship turned out to be a bit of a distance from the entrance, so grab one of the many cars that are offering to get you there if you have a lot of luggage or are short on time!

We used Welcome Pickups upon our return and to and from the airport, which was great! Easy to locate, nice friendly driver, and efficient.

The smaller cruise experience with Star Clippers was amazing! (We had sailed on Radiance of The seas to Alaska prior and I had done the Bahamas on Norwegian) so much so that We immediately booked our upcoming trip (Italy in Sept) the week we returned!

The raising of the sails, the feel of the ship moving along the ocean, the views from the Eagles nest and laying on the netting with the sea below and the sky above, so relaxing and peaceful!

We really liked our cozy cabin, We enjoyed getting up to watch the sunrise each morning and the shore excursions we took through the ship were well organized and thoughtful explorations of culture, history and nature. (The one we took in Dylan River to the Lyceum tombs was one of the absolute highlights of our trip!)

It was very slow paced and romantic. If you are more interested in spending quality time together than gambling or partying the night away, then you will be in heaven. We also met some lovely and interesting people over dinners (different tables each night which was fun) and got to hear of their many adventures (and share ours too!)

I hope this information is helpful! Have a Wonderful trip!!

Wendy

• 1 month later...

Thank you, so much, Wendy, for the wonderful comments.  We are so excited, though it still seems like such a long way off.  I am sure we will have a great time.  If you happen to remember what shore excursions you took, I'd love to know.  Hope you have a fantastic time on your Italy cruise!!!

Ben

You are so welcome! 

Im not sure where you will be stopping as our itinerary was Athens to Athens but im happy to share our experience!!

We took some shore excursions through the cruise line but also booked independently. 

If you email Star Clippers directly you can get the times you will be at port and a list of the available excursions.

In Rhodes we decided to walk around on our own and went to the museum there. We also walked around part of the fortifying wall. Great views! 

In  Bodrum, Turkey we decided to walk through the market place ( we asked near the port for a more authentic version which was a little bit of a walk outside of the main section and a really fun experience) 

We took the cruises excursion to the Lyceum tombs in Dylan River, Turkey Seriously amazing day! Highly recommend doing this one!! It consisted of a guided tour of  some ancient remains of a village, a boat ride past the tombs high up in the cliffs and ended at a gorgeous beach with umbrellas and a little cafe. It was the most idyllic day of our trip 💕

We didn’t enjoy Santorini too much ( 😣surprisingly) the tour to the ancient ruins was crowded and rushed and then the main part of town very tourist driven. I wish we had just gone to Oai instead. ( that would be my advise to you!)

We Loved Hydra and booked a horse back ride through “Harrietts Horses” we got to go off the beaten path with our guide and got advise on the best restaurant of our whole trip!! 

As I said, Athens was amazing and both tours were booked independently. The photo tour was through Welcome Pickups (but if you’re interested I have the photographers email) and the market tour/cooking class was through Getmyguide. 

Hope some of these are helpful/informative.

Again, wishing you an amazing adventure! 

Wendy 

• 1 month later...

We did the Athens to Venice cruise in 2017 and totally enjoyed it.  It was our 3rd sailing on the Star Flyer.  After the 1st, we thought 'been there - done that'.  Then we did a 2nd - a 7 day round trip to Rome.  After that we couldn't wait to sail again.  We now have a 4th booked.  We totally enjoy the small ship, the openness of the crew, the truly international passengers.  Granted there are not the big attractions of the mega-ships, but that's part of what make it so wonderful.  Breakfast and lunch were buffet style.  Dinner was a sit-down affair with the chance to sit with different people each evening, if that is what you want.  Entertainment is limited.  There was a pianist, a sports staff, a cruise director.  There was a fashion show, music one evening from the city we were visiting, Mama Mia was shown at the aft deck, and a talent show (so get yours lined up).  We climbed the mast and relaxed in the bowsprit.  We kayaked around the ship while it was at anchor.  The captain had the lifeboats lowered so we could go around the Flyer to take pictures while it was in full sail.  We did various excursions through the ship in some of the ports.  

Ports visited were Mykonos, Santorini, Katakolon, Corfu, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, and Mali Losinj. 

We had a fantastic time in Athens for 3 days before the cruise.  We took the bus from the airport to town and then walked to our hotel in the Plaka district.  The tickets that allow you to visit all of the main ruins was well worth the cost.   We took the bus to the port, which sounded like a good idea but ended up being packed with day visitors who were heading back to their cruise ship.

In Venice the ship docked at San Basilio - Ferry terminal - Fondamenta Zattere Al Ponte Lungo, which is not real convenient to the train station or transportation to the airport, or hotels.  We did stay 3 nights in Venice, which was overrun with tourists.  We did do a gondola ride with Luca which was wonderful.  He even serenaded us.

If you need any specific information, let me know.  Have a great cruise!

Wow, thank you so much for the great information, arpclock.  Just a bit over a year now before our cruise and we're starting to actually think about it a lot.  I am sure your tidbits will come in handy and as the cruise approaches, I may well have more specific questions.  I assume, at some point, Star Clippers will notify us about port excursions?

Where are you going on your next cruise.

Thanks again,

Ben Somberg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2019 at 11:34 AM, Ben2travel said:

Just booked our cabin!  It's still more than a year and a half out, but more time for anticipation, right?  Actually we wanted to go this fall (as it is our 30th anniversary), but by the time we got around to it all the cruises were sold out.  So I started looking for ones for 2020 and as soon as I saw them posted I called, but even they were almost full.  Anyway, this will be our first time on Star Clippers and we're excited.  Would love to hear from any fellow passengers who might be out there.  Advice from prior passengers also very welcomed!

My husband and I will be on this sailing.  Actually, we are part of a group of 21 people.  You are welcome to join our group.  It cost you nothing and you get the perks of being in a group. To find out what the perks are call Debbie at 800-872-7122.  . Also, 19 of us are going to Athens 2 days early. We have a package that includes transfers, hotel and a walking tour.  If you are interested in that call Dimitris at 877-833-3454.

This will be our 3rd sailing on the Star Flyer.  It's a small boat so will meet if you join the group or not.

Happy sailing!

Glenda

On 1/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, gbinflorida said:

My husband and I will be on this sailing.  Actually, we are part of a group of 21 people.  You are welcome to join our group.  It cost you nothing and you get the perks of being in a group. To find out what the perks are call Debbie at 800-872-7122.  . Also, 19 of us are going to Athens 2 days early. We have a package that includes transfers, hotel and a walking tour.  If you are interested in that call Dimitris at 877-833-3454.

This will be our 3rd sailing on the Star Flyer.  It's a small boat so will meet if you join the group or not.

Happy sailing!

Glenda

Hi, Thanks for the note.  I will have to look at those tours.  We will probably go to Athens a couple of days early as well, but might do it on our own.  I'll have to see.  In any case, look forward to meeting you on board!

• 2 weeks later...