Sofa bed comfort?

JEANMR1

Hello

We have a balcony room with a sofa bed for me,  my spouse and our two kids. The two kids are eight and 11 as well as being a boy and a girl and are not going to want to sleep together on the sofa bed. I was thinking about splitting the other bed in the twins and giving it to them and us sleeping on the sofa bed. Any thoughts on whether that will be comfortable enough or should I force the kids on it?

Thank you 

Most people seem to feel the sofa bed is small for two adults.  

Four people  in a balcony room is going to be tight, but it’s very doable. 

Personally I wouldn’t give the kids the option - they are going on a cruise - will have a wonderful vacation and shouldn’t complain!  But I am “old school!!!”

• Like 5

Me, I’m paying for the cruise, so suck it up and sleep on the sofa bed or on the floor. No way would I give up sleeping in a real bed. The sofa is fine for two small kids but definitely not two adults. 

• Like 2

The type of sofa bed will depend on which ship and cabin category. Some have the standard fold out ones and some of the newer ships have the pull out.....these are like a day bed but the pull out stays at floor level. Too bad you didn't book a cabin that had the additional pullman option along with the sofa bed.

We are in the same situation and my husband sleeps with my son  who is 14 in the big bed and I sleep with my daughter who is 10 in the sofa bed and it was fine.  It folds out sideways and there is no bar in the middle and it was pretty comfortable.

20 minutes ago, Spunky946 said:

We are in the same situation and my husband sleeps with my son  who is 14 in the big bed and I sleep with my daughter who is 10 in the sofa bed and it was fine.  It folds out sideways and there is no bar in the middle and it was pretty comfortable.

Yes, new style Daybed/Trundle like that are more comfortable then the older pullout style...

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I willl keep the twins as one bed and not tell the kids they separate and just tell them they are sleeping together. There are lots of priveleges I can take away on the ship if they fight too much. 

The key in our family is to let them know beforehand so they can get used to the idea because an 11 year old girl who is in the beginning stages of puberty does NOT want her 8 year old brother sleeping with her. 

Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, JEANMR1 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I willl keep the twins as one bed and not tell the kids they separate and just tell them they are sleeping together. There are lots of priveleges I can take away on the ship if they fight too much. 

The key in our family is to let them know beforehand so they can get used to the idea because an 11 year old girl who is in the beginning stages of puberty does NOT want her 8 year old brother sleeping with her. 

Thanks again. 

You might keep checking for a cabin that will offer a pullman bed in addition to the sofabed....This would work out much better for your family. I mentioned that in my post #4. Best of luck either way.

I usually sleep on the sofa bed when I cruise with My GF's in Grand Suites and Owner Suites.  I do not know about the other stateroom categories.  The sofa bed is comfortable enough but not like a real bed.  I would not plan on two adults sleeping on it but it should be big enough for two of your children.  You can also request a roll away cot but not sure if your stateroom would be big enough.  We have done that as well (with 4 ladies in an Owner's Suite) .   

As others have said do you not have the option of sofa bed and pullman ,there are 3 of us traveling and i had booked online a room with sofa ,but when i phoned in they suggested we might be comfortable in another cabin with pullman and sofa and changed cabin with no extra charge.

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2019 at 6:33 AM, JEANMR1 said:

...an 11 year old girl who is in the beginning stages of puberty does NOT want her 8 year old brother sleeping with her. 

Without going into too many details, well, let's just say she will figure it out. 😉 She'll wear her undergarments under her pajamas, or even wear something different to bed for that vacation (think tee and sweats/shorts). Our kids did it, no problems. We have cruised twice all in one cabin; it's all we could afford for our family and they were amazing vacations.

If you haven’t checked pricing for two connected rooms, depending on sales/promos the difference wouldn’t be much, and you would get two bathrooms.

Otherwise as others have said you should be able to get a room where the older kid would be on the sofa bed and the youngest on a bed that folds down from the ceiling.

Just noticed old thread with new question in post 15 .... sorry.

• Like 1