Best Month for Southern Caribbean

shelly222

Hi, 

I saw pictures of Curacao while researching different ports in Southern Caribbean and fell in love. I was really wanting an itinerary with San Juan for this particular cruise as I really want to see it too and of course a few other ports, but that will be the next one. My daughter has a really hard time flying so its best we fly within the US after lots of research trying to figure out how to get to San Juan to start / end cruise there, etc. or even a week trip to Curacao. 🙂 

Back to my question: what month is best for Curacao, Grand Turk, Aruba, Bonaire, Half Moon Cay, La Romana - March, April, May, December? Warm is good, just not hot miserable as my daughter is sensitive to cold and hot and winds. Any month better for it not being windy? 

Oh, she is in a wheelchair full time (manual custom) so any of these ports listed I should reconsider or not do the itinerary its in? I am not considering the itinerary with Amber Cove as even though it looks like a neat place, it doesn't seem to be all that accessible outside the port. Should I reconsider? We are not laying around pool / beach people (me, yes, daughter, no).

Thank you so much.  

Reviewing your geography, you will see that the ABC islands are not that far north of the equator.  Therefore, temps will not vary much at all.  It's going to be very warm, and breezy.  You will be glad for the breeze.  Half Moon Cay will vary some with the seasons, as it is much farther north, in the Bahamas, not really Caribbean.  EM

That's right...it's hot in the ABC's all year round.  Because of the breeze, you don't have that oppressive humidity that the East Coast of the US gets in the summer.

Whatever you choose, research your ports, so you'll get an idea of what you'd like to do in each place.  A guidebook is very helpful, or you can google your ports.  That way, you can make plans to suit what YOU want to do!

On 1/24/2019 at 3:02 AM, Essiesmom said:

Reviewing your geography, you will see that the ABC islands are not that far north of the equator.  Therefore, temps will not vary much at all.  It's going to be very warm, and breezy.  You will be glad for the breeze.  Half Moon Cay will vary some with the seasons, as it is much farther north, in the Bahamas, not really Caribbean.  EM

Thank you so much. Correct, but its just nice to ask people that have actually been there what the weather was like to get personal experiences. I looked up the weather for dates from previous years to see how it average out for the time I am planning to go, but still, again nice to get personal experiences. 🙂 Breeze, yes is always nice as long as its not the kind that will affect my daughter's health in a negative way so all I can do is hope for the best and be flexible. 

7 hours ago, cb at sea said:

That's right...it's hot in the ABC's all year round.  Because of the breeze, you don't have that oppressive humidity that the East Coast of the US gets in the summer.

Whatever you choose, research your ports, so you'll get an idea of what you'd like to do in each place.  A guidebook is very helpful, or you can google your ports.  That way, you can make plans to suit what YOU want to do!

And the west coasts get... I'm grateful that another forum was able to actually answer my questions.. Thank you for trying.. 

Ummmm, of course, I am going to research each port thoroughly and base my decision on an itinerary off of my research ESPECIALLY in my situation. Done that several times already for our cruises and will continue. As a matter of fact, I do that with ALL my travels and have been for 40+ years. Anyway, I wasn't asking how to plan for or how to decide on a cruise itinerary - I was asking for personal experiences, opinions on a group of ports just to see what others felt about any or all of them, their experience there, recommendations, any that stood out over the other, any that someone wouldn't go to, etc, so if you have any feedback on that, I definitely welcome it and that would be staying on post topic. 🙂   Happy Cruising! 

• 5 weeks later...

We have done Western once (too humid), eastern 4 times (a bit drier heat, but still too much for me), and Southern, ABC islands, twice (Love! its just the right amount of breeze with the warmer temperature, making it seem cooler). If you prefer leaving rom American port rather than San Juan, do this one out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale that RCCL does as a 10 or 11 day on a Radiance class ship. Southern is good any time of year, with tempuratures staying around 83 degrees, but feel cooler because of breeze.

Edited by Semi Retired

Have cruised the ABC's in Jan/Feb and June/July. IMHO, although the temp is about the same. the humidity is a bit higher in June/July making it seem hotter. Love the ABC itinerary and would say that Jan/Feb were good based on your post. Definitely love the 10+ day sailings out of FLL or MIA. Happy Sails!