First time in Grenada

lenquixote66

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We will be in Grenada for the first time in Oct.2019. How far is the shopping area from the cruiseport ?

Duty Free and a good selection of shops and stall are in and around the port area.  Small supermarket through the tunnel by the Bay.

Caution:  If flying home, check the alcoholic strength of local rums as some are up to 99% (Carriacou)

Also, some "Bush Rum" may look attractive,  reasonable, fun, but the "Local Erbs" inside the bottle, used as infusions, may cause an arrest at US Immigration.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive text
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Duty Free and a good selection of shops and stall are in and around the port area.  Small supermarket through the tunnel by the Bay.

Caution:  If flying home, check the alcoholic strength of local rums as some are up to 99% (Carriacou)

Also, some "Bush Rum" may look attractive,  reasonable, fun, but the "Local Erbs" inside the bottle, used as infusions, may cause an arrest at US Immigration.

How about the outdoor market.  Is it through the same tunnel?

43 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

How about the outdoor market.  Is it through the same tunnel?

If you are talking about the ethnic market where locals shop, then yes, it is "Young Street Market".

Through the tunnel (Young Street is directly opposite across the bay)

Walk round the bay and Young Street is on your right. 

Don't forget to barter.  Offer half of what the sellers say in first instance.

Keep valuables close to the body.  No bling in sight.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First time also in Grenada, I hope it's ok if I ask question in this post instead of starting a new one!

So we will be a couple looking for some beach time and some local visit to see what this place is all about, do you

have any suggestions?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Frenchsnowhite said:

First time also in Grenada, I hope it's ok if I ask question in this post instead of starting a new one!

So we will be a couple looking for some beach time and some local visit to see what this place is all about, do you

have any suggestions?  Thanks

We were there in December and used JnJ Tours and were happy with them. We saw Annandale Falls, the Grand Etang Lake, rainforest, monkeys, the chocolate factory and the fort. We originally had requested for them to drop us at Grand Anse Beach and were going to take the water taxi back, but it started raining so we decided to return to the ship with the others on our tour. I believe they will customize a tour to see exactly whet you are interested in seeing. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.jnjtours.com/site/84dbf60883bc4aa6b53dc604fc9eb178/home?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjnjtours.com#2854

22 minutes ago, Lard Greystoke said:

One thing about the water taxi at Grand Anse beach.  They wait to fill before setting off, so if you're returning to the ship make sure you have plenty of time.

Plenty of time, plus plenty of patience, plus weatherproof outer covering as it usually rains, and sometimes very heavily.

Give GA, noise, crowds and T'erds a miss, take a taxi over the hill to sanity.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I would suggest that you download Tom’s Port Guide. It is a good reference for getting around Grenada. 

There are are two ways to the market either thru the tunnel or climb the stairs over the tunnel. I have done both. The nicest thing about the climb is it has a nice view when you get to the top.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Oh i know the sailing schedule . It just shows 3 places to dock. I was trying to determine if it came to  the regular cruise ship pier. 

Drop an Email to

Info@tropicalsails.com 

As published on the website, they should have all your answers 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, JT1962 said:

We were there in December and used JnJ Tours and were happy with them. We saw Annandale Falls, the Grand Etang Lake, rainforest, monkeys, the chocolate factory and the fort. We originally had requested for them to drop us at Grand Anse Beach and were going to take the water taxi back, but it started raining so we decided to return to the ship with the others on our tour. I believe they will customize a tour to see exactly whet you are interested in seeing. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.jnjtours.com/site/84dbf60883bc4aa6b53dc604fc9eb178/home?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjnjtours.com#2854

How long was your tour and about how long was you at each place and what was the cost?

On 1/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, tidygirl said:

How long was your tour and about how long was you at each place and what was the cost?

The total time was probably 6 hours. We were at each site for probably 30 min or so and felt like we got to see what we wanted to without feeling rushed.  The cost was $ 50 pp and we have a $ 20 tip.

• 6 months later...
On 1/25/2019 at 8:58 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Is there a sidewalk in the tunnel?

3 hours ago, Houndfish said:

Is there a sidewalk in the tunnel?

Yes - Through the tunnel - Turn right - Supermarket on your right (looks like a small shop from the front) - On the other side of the water is the start of the road that leads to the local market -  Be ready to haggle hard