Surrey or Airport Hotel

I need my Vancouver experts!  We are staying three nights after our cruise in mid June. I have very good rates at two different hotels- one in Surrey and one by the airport for about $165 per night CAD both Four Points.  The hotel by the airport only has double beds and charges for parking like $10 per night. The hotel in Surrey has queen beds and no charge for parking.  The are four of us traveling. Two adults and two full size teenagers each 6 foot so basically four adults. We want to see Stanley Park, Sea to Sky Gondola, Britannia Mine Museum, and either Lynn Canyon Park or Suspension Bridge Park. Is it worth staying out in Surrey for better sleeping arrangements?  Or just tough it out in small beds to be closer to downtown Vancouver. martincath - I did look at the YMCA but it was quite a bit more for the four of us. Thanks for any help!!

While I'm sure that the Four Points is in a nicer area of Surrey relatively-speaking, it's literally the opposite side from everything you want to visit. Sounds like you plan to rent a car (otherwise the mining museum especially is highly impractical to visit) so downtown hotels would be a lot pricier especially by the time you add in parking. I'd suggest, given your planned sights, that you look at hotels in North Vancouver and suburban AirBnBs - North Van in general runs cheaper than downtown, and often even the airport, for hotels as they lack SkyTrain access so it's either a very indirect bus service to downtown or the Seabus for the more central area around Lonsdale Quay.

The Gondola, Mining Museum and Cap or Lynn could be done in one day (lovely long evenings in June!) and Stanley Park, depending what accommodation you end up in, would most likely be quite feasible by bus from North Van (buses that go over the Lions Gate bridge literally run through the park immediately after the bridge). So you could get away with renting a car just one of your days rather than keeping it the whole time - but if you are staying in North Van then dropping the car at the airport means no need for expensive cab ride or the hassle of schlepping luggage across multiple transit connections.

Edit - the airport is also on the wrong side of the city for your sights, southwest rather than southeast (Surrey), as all the stuff you want to see is north and northwest of Vancouver.

Edited by martincath

Thanks martincath!  I love VRBO and have rented from them a lot. I have never tried AirBnB but would be willing to try it out. The prices seem almost too good to be true after looking at so many Vancouver hotels! VRBO is more expensive now that they are owned by Expedia since they charge a “service fee” for each visit.  I had just read that Vancouver had banned AirBnB types as well as UBER.  I guess the ban does not extend to North or West Vancouver?

Edited by Fizzgigd
Add info

1 hour ago, Fizzgigd said:

Thanks martincath!  I love VRBO and have rented from them a lot. I have never tried AirBnB but would be willing to try it out. The prices seem almost too good to be true after looking at so many Vancouver hotels! VRBO is more expensive now that they are owned by Expedia since they charge a “service fee” for each visit.  I had just read that Vancouver had banned AirBnB types as well as UBER.  I guess the ban does not extend to North or West Vancouver?

Other way around - we actually legalized AirBnB (and other short-term rentals) in Vancouver for the first time last Fall; North Vancouver basically has the same rules as 'real' Vancouver - primary home rentals only, so anyone with multiple listings is breaking the rules as is anyone who rents their home year-round. West Van was free of any restrictions when I last checked though.

While Uber/Lyft remain unavailable, a legal ride-sharing service is in the process of being set up (Kater - really quick version is that licensed cabbies will be able to charge below the minimum bylaw-governed rates during offpeak times).

Glad to help. For the places you listed as your priorities it makes a lot of sense to stay on the North Shore. If you drive over to Vancouver proper, with 4 people in the car you'll find parking might be a better deal than transit - especially the parks, which offer all-day parking rates (and you can even move the car around, very useful in Stanley Park especially, as the parking time is linked to the license plate not the parking space and Stanley has several smaller lots scattered about). Lynn Canyon is a no-brainer if you're in North Van and have transportation - even if you also do Capilano. Can't beat Free for pricing - and frankly I prefer it even ignoring the cost savings;-)

I'd also recommend Queen Elizabeth Park as another good stop for you - it's a bit awkward to get to without a car, but it's one of the most popular parks with locals (beautiful gardens that are totally free - we almost always see at least a couple of bridal parties getting photos taken in the quarry garden). Even a quick stop on the way to the airport at the end of your trip is worthwhile, as a few minutes is enough to grab some excellent pictures from the highest point in Vancouver (plug in Seasons in the Park restaurant to GPS or mapping software, as the best viewpoint is just next to it) and two of the main 3 roads to the airport bracket the park so it's not at all out of your way.

However while you are driving around, be careful not to leave any of your stuff visible in the car no matter how swanky-looking the neighbourhood. Casual property theft from cars is endemic around here, and the parking lots of big tourist attractions even outside town are specifically-targeted. We are a VERY safe area in terms of people robbing or harming people, but theft of easily-fenced Stuff is an ongoing problem!

Thanks martincath!  We have added Queen Elizabeth Park to the plan.  Can you think of anything else you consider a do not miss based on what we have so far?  I also want to see Granville Market and maybe Gastown. Also, do you have recommendations for restaurants where we are going?  I love your idea of the King crab dinner at a Chinese restaurant!  I just don’t think I can afford it for just the four of us. 😢 We usually spend $100-$120 US for dinner, so moderately priced and we very rarely purchase any alcohol with dinner. We like all different types of food.  Any thoughts?

Resto-wise, that's pretty much exactly CAD$120 a meal on average (before tax & tip; food is only taxed at 5% but tips should be the same as in the US, at least 15% of pre-tax unless the service was shonky); feeding four adult-sized appetites at $30pp is more than a little challenging on the fancier end of things, but if you were strategic and visited more affordable spots you could probably budget for one really nice meal - especially if you take advantage of local Happy Hour pricing (NB: while HH does always require buying a drink, it doesn't have to be alcoholic - but some restos only serve it in the bar which may cause problems with your teens as often bar licenses require 19yrs+ for seating there. Some places have a cut-off time later in the evening, kids are OK before it but not after - which works out perfectly for an early meal).

Pub grub in general you'll find plenty of options within your budget (and locally pub grub pretty much always includes halibut and salmon as they're comparatively cheap here). Ethnic eateries likewise - there are plenty of reasonably-priced Asian places which get solid reviews even if they're not that fancy. Hons (Cantonese), ChongQing (Szechuan), Dinesty (dumplings), Peaceful (Northern food - handmade noodles, featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives); Banana Leaf (Malaysian); any of our Japanese Izakayas (Guu, Hapa, Kingyo, Alpha); are all solid bets downtown. Since you have a car and aren't boozing, you could also visit Richmond which has the BIG Chinatown area where you could easily find yourself wondering how you managed to wander into Hong Kong from Vancouver (big chunks of Richmond have most of the population, and much of the signage on businesses, being Chinese - so for random 'mom & pop' restos that are tasty but cheap it absolutely spanks Vancouver).

I'd also encourage you to try Canadian food - which is not just poutine (though that's a really good, filling, cheap option!) In Vancouver we're very hipstery, seasonal, locavore types which does tend to bump the price up, but it's still possible to get some very good local fare without going too much into debt - in particular the value at Salmon & Bannock is insane for what you get, they're far and away the best deal on game meats and are the only First Nations resto in town (there's a bannock truck and a couple of catering operations, but unfortunately the indigenous brunch at Skwachays Lodge has closed) so definitely as close to unique as it gets.

Edible Canada on Granville Island is the best resto there, and is also VERY focused on Canadian food - just not necessarily local (they bring in food, and sometimes other chefs, from all across the country). You'd be stretching your budget to breaking for a full sit-down meal there, but Brunch is cheaper and you could also order a few appies and a couple of mains to share then hit up a pizza joint to fill up later! In Gastown, L'Abattoir and Coquille are two powerhouses of locally-sourced food - the latter is very seafood focused while the former does classic French prep of mostly-meaty seasonal local food, and the Happy Hour is just mind-blowingly good value. You'd struggle to dine within budget at either outside HH time, but if you fancy a nice meal for just you parents while the kids sit home with a takeout pizza one night...;-)

We have quite a few swanky pizza places, which even though they're way pricier than the chain joints still fill you up for under $20 a head (one pie per person, even the fanciest places will give you multiple options at that price) - pizzas are a great way to try Nightingale for instance, which is a more-affordable spinoff from probably the best chef in the city (David Hawksworth, whose main resto runs mostly around $50 for main courses). Via Tevere, Campagnolo, Pizzeria Farina, Nicli Antica have all been doing great Neapolitan-style (thin, with scorchio bits) for years. Campagnolo also does the best burger in the city - frankly, one of the best burgers I've ever eaten anywhere - in their upstairs 'speakeasy' which does let kids in. You can also get the same basic burger, just without as many 'secret menu' options, branded as Monarch burgers inside The American sports-bar (which may be of interest as it has lots of arcade machines, not just TVs, and is family-friendly all night) but you miss out on the whole 'find the secret door marked with a hobo sign and go up the creaky staircase and get served by one of the hipsteriest bartenders around with a truly magnificent moustache' vibe;-)

Over on the North Van side I don't dine as often, but there's a solid Greek (Anatoli) and the venerable and still super-loved-by-almost-everyone Tomahawk diner (I believe Bryan Adams used to wash dishes here); a branch of Tap & Barrel is just next to Lonsdale Quay, where you'll also find food trucks outside at the farmers market on Fridays. Oh, and Food Trucks aren't just for lunch - many of them stay open until a very civilized dinner time (many work in pertnership with local breweries, as the basic 'tasting room' license does not allow hot food prep - but they can let you bring food inside to eat it from a truck outside...). This link is the best way to figure out which trucks are where on any given day.

Yeesh - this is getting way too long! Howsabout you let me know if you need any more info or if that covers enough options for you? If you do want more, try to narrow it down for me in terms of your most-liked stuff;-)

On 1/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, martincath said:

Resto-wise, that's pretty much exactly CAD$120 a meal on average (before tax & tip; food is only taxed at 5% but tips should be the same as in the US, at least 15% of pre-tax unless the service was shonky); feeding four adult-sized appetites at $30pp is more than a little challenging on the fancier end of things, but if you were strategic and visited more affordable spots you could probably budget for one really nice meal - especially if you take advantage of local Happy Hour pricing (NB: while HH does always require buying a drink, it doesn't have to be alcoholic - but some restos only serve it in the bar which may cause problems with your teens as often bar licenses require 19yrs+ for seating there. Some places have a cut-off time later in the evening, kids are OK before it but not after - which works out perfectly for an early meal).

Pub grub in general you'll find plenty of options within your budget (and locally pub grub pretty much always includes halibut and salmon as they're comparatively cheap here). Ethnic eateries likewise - there are plenty of reasonably-priced Asian places which get solid reviews even if they're not that fancy. Hons (Cantonese), ChongQing (Szechuan), Dinesty (dumplings), Peaceful (Northern food - handmade noodles, featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives); Banana Leaf (Malaysian); any of our Japanese Izakayas (Guu, Hapa, Kingyo, Alpha); are all solid bets downtown. Since you have a car and aren't boozing, you could also visit Richmond which has the BIG Chinatown area where you could easily find yourself wondering how you managed to wander into Hong Kong from Vancouver (big chunks of Richmond have most of the population, and much of the signage on businesses, being Chinese - so for random 'mom & pop' restos that are tasty but cheap it absolutely spanks Vancouver).

I'd also encourage you to try Canadian food - which is not just poutine (though that's a really good, filling, cheap option!) In Vancouver we're very hipstery, seasonal, locavore types which does tend to bump the price up, but it's still possible to get some very good local fare without going too much into debt - in particular the value at Salmon & Bannock is insane for what you get, they're far and away the best deal on game meats and are the only First Nations resto in town (there's a bannock truck and a couple of catering operations, but unfortunately the indigenous brunch at Skwachays Lodge has closed) so definitely as close to unique as it gets.

Edible Canada on Granville Island is the best resto there, and is also VERY focused on Canadian food - just not necessarily local (they bring in food, and sometimes other chefs, from all across the country). You'd be stretching your budget to breaking for a full sit-down meal there, but Brunch is cheaper and you could also order a few appies and a couple of mains to share then hit up a pizza joint to fill up later! In Gastown, L'Abattoir and Coquille are two powerhouses of locally-sourced food - the latter is very seafood focused while the former does classic French prep of mostly-meaty seasonal local food, and the Happy Hour is just mind-blowingly good value. You'd struggle to dine within budget at either outside HH time, but if you fancy a nice meal for just you parents while the kids sit home with a takeout pizza one night...;-)

We have quite a few swanky pizza places, which even though they're way pricier than the chain joints still fill you up for under $20 a head (one pie per person, even the fanciest places will give you multiple options at that price) - pizzas are a great way to try Nightingale for instance, which is a more-affordable spinoff from probably the best chef in the city (David Hawksworth, whose main resto runs mostly around $50 for main courses). Via Tevere, Campagnolo, Pizzeria Farina, Nicli Antica have all been doing great Neapolitan-style (thin, with scorchio bits) for years. Campagnolo also does the best burger in the city - frankly, one of the best burgers I've ever eaten anywhere - in their upstairs 'speakeasy' which does let kids in. You can also get the same basic burger, just without as many 'secret menu' options, branded as Monarch burgers inside The American sports-bar (which may be of interest as it has lots of arcade machines, not just TVs, and is family-friendly all night) but you miss out on the whole 'find the secret door marked with a hobo sign and go up the creaky staircase and get served by one of the hipsteriest bartenders around with a truly magnificent moustache' vibe;-)

Over on the North Van side I don't dine as often, but there's a solid Greek (Anatoli) and the venerable and still super-loved-by-almost-everyone Tomahawk diner (I believe Bryan Adams used to wash dishes here); a branch of Tap & Barrel is just next to Lonsdale Quay, where you'll also find food trucks outside at the farmers market on Fridays. Oh, and Food Trucks aren't just for lunch - many of them stay open until a very civilized dinner time (many work in pertnership with local breweries, as the basic 'tasting room' license does not allow hot food prep - but they can let you bring food inside to eat it from a truck outside...). This link is the best way to figure out which trucks are where on any given day.

Yeesh - this is getting way too long! Howsabout you let me know if you need any more info or if that covers enough options for you? If you do want more, try to narrow it down for me in terms of your most-liked stuff;-)

Thank you for the reminder that I have been spending to much time in the suburbs & I need to get back to downtown of my hometown!! 

1 hour ago, YVRBassElectric said:

Thank you for the reminder that I have been spending to much time in the suburbs & I need to get back to downtown of my hometown!! 

You're very welcome. The problem with being near somewhere is that temptation to put it off while you vacation further away "because I can do that any time" - I know it took us immigrating over here to finally get around to seeing all the bits of Scotland we hadn't! Even commuters from the 'burbs seem to need a special occasion to come downtown for fun, rather than just grinding back home with the rest of the traffic.

A buddy has a workplace with a couple of great policies that encourage hanging out downtown a bit more: "Bourbon Fridays" when everyone involved gets off an hour early takes turns to bring a favourite bottle to the boardroom for a tasting (and commits to using transit instead of driving!); most folks then go out for dinner downtown; and "Weekday Brekkies" where staff are allowed to come in an hour late once a month if they meet a friend for breakfast somewhere in the 'hood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 2:22 PM, martincath said:

I'd also recommend Queen Elizabeth Park as another good stop for you - it's a bit awkward to get to without a car, but it's one of the most popular parks with locals (beautiful gardens that are totally free - we almost always see at least a couple of bridal parties getting photos taken in the quarry garden). Even a quick stop on the way to the airport at the end of your trip is worthwhile, as a few minutes is enough to grab some excellent pictures from the highest point in Vancouver (plug in Seasons in the Park restaurant to GPS or mapping software, as the best viewpoint is just next to it) and two of the main 3 roads to the airport bracket the park so it's not at all out of your way.

It's a four block walk from King Edward Station, not awkward at all..