San Antonio to Buenos Aires Port or Stardboard side?

Ivy86

Hi, Ivy86 - My experience is not with NCL but with Princess. I thus don't know about what the experience is in terms of how NCL navigates the fjords and scenic cruising passage, but will concur with Saildude that the land-facing (port for eastbound) side definitely carries the bulk of attention. The ocean-facing side will have just that - ocean. Even on the interior navigation of scenic cruising, landward will be where passengers will probably see the varied coastlines, mountains, and glacial moraine/features (particularly in terms of glacier alley). Given the itinerary, the landward side will also likely remain consistent for the journey. On Princess, I felt that being on the upper, open levels was a better experience - folks who were down and inside on the lower decks sometimes didn't have the full impact of the glacier and mountain ranges visible due to sightlines and window sizes in the public areas.

Again, not NCL, but I hope this helps!

We went from Buenos Aires  to Valpareiso on NCL a few years ago. We picked starboard and think that was best.  However, when something really important came up, the ship did a circle so everyone could see.  Some places, both sides had a nice view from the balcony.

IMG_4259.jpg

Edited by Lunenburg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the best all-round views you need to go up onto the top open decks. I'll just about guarantee you will spend most off your time up there. That was our experience on Princess a year or so ago. Why restrict yourself to one side?

Hi, Scuba - Have been really enjoying your Zaandam posts! Regarding Antarctica, do you feel that the ship allowed for both sides to get good views, or was there still a side that was more favored in navigating around?

For a general South America sans Antarctica it seems like the landward side (left/port for Santiago - Buenos Aires and right/starboard for Buenos Aires - Santiago, I believe) seems to be the favor; didn't know how the inclusion of the Antarctic days factored in.

Thanks Crewbie . Generally speaking on our cruise we believe that we saw more than the Starboard side . The crew tried to swing the ship around penguin colonies and some glaciers so that everyone see when they could . The weather caused us to revise our plans a number of times and that may have affected who got to see what .  The wildlife comes and goes on both sides so we stayed put instead running back and forth . And when something like the 11 mile long iceberg was sighted on the opposite side , we had plenty of time to go over and see it . 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Port San Antonio to Buenos Aires.  DEFINITELY PORT SIDE.  We had a balcony on port side and it was great.  One has to get up early to view some of the sights, glaciers and Beagle Channel.  This way you can throw on a sweater or coat and not have to get fully dressed to get out on deck if you over sleep or are just not a morning person.  On deck you get a wider view, but it felt closer to the shore on a lower deck.  Don't forget the binoculars!  

Port side for the Glacier Alley   and more viewing of Cape Horn from the Starboard  side.  I've sailed when the port essentially got significantly less view.    Commentary is also from the starboard side viewing.   

Port side if you want the Cormorant/sea lion rookery, viewing,  out of Ushuaia going in,  Starboard going out.    Same sides,  if you want penguin rookery viewing sailing Falklands     Binoculars are NECESSARY.     

I never settle for 50% of the views,  I want 100%  :)       

• 2 weeks later...

We had Port side earlier this year on the Star and enjoyed it.  Regardless of cruise line and direction, ships sail around cape horn counter clockwise due to the currents in the drake passage so you'll want to be on the port side.  If your sailing west to east then glacier alley, prior to arriving at Ushuaia will be on the port side.

• 7 months later...