Cruise to celebrate healing: need help with insurance

GrandmaRocket

Hello! I am a newbie here and I apologize if my question(s) have already been answered... I read some of the previous threads but I am still uncertain.

My spouse and I just (today) booked our first cruise! Hurray! It has been physically a rough year for both of us, I have had 2 surgeries in the past 4 months on my foot/ankle. My spouse has ongoing back issues, as well as other more stable conditions. I think we definitely want travel insurance that would cover us for pre-existing conditions, but I am getting overwhelmed with all the information (as well as the legalese) on the insurance sites. I have looked at 2 of the comparison sites, and the price ranges are striking, some twice as much as others. Any help or guidance? 

2 hours ago, GrandmaRocket said:

Hello! I am a newbie here and I apologize if my question(s) have already been answered... I read some of the previous threads but I am still uncertain.

My spouse and I just (today) booked our first cruise! Hurray! It has been physically a rough year for both of us, I have had 2 surgeries in the past 4 months on my foot/ankle. My spouse has ongoing back issues, as well as other more stable conditions. I think we definitely want travel insurance that would cover us for pre-existing conditions, but I am getting overwhelmed with all the information (as well as the legalese) on the insurance sites. I have looked at 2 of the comparison sites, and the price ranges are striking, some twice as much as others. Any help or guidance? 

Welcome to CC!

If you have been reading here, then you probably saw quite a few recommendations to CALL an insurance broker, who can help you select a policy that fits your specific needs.

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL, precisely because of "all the information (as well as the legalese) on the insurance sites)" - and that probably doesn't include *all* of the "fine print", which would be in the documentation.

That can all be explained by the agents, but  ALWAYS also read your policy.

If you made a FIRST cruise payment today, then you have a few days to select a policy that *will* provide pre-existing condition coverage --> as long as you are "fit to travel" on the day you start the insurance.

But call the professionals.

That's what they "do".

Enjoy!

GC

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! It was very helpful, and I feel much better about this part of the process. I will do as you suggest and make the call. Sometimes I just need a little hand holding and a pat on the back, thanks for helping me out!

4 minutes ago, GrandmaRocket said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! It was very helpful, and I feel much better about this part of the process. I will do as you suggest and make the call. Sometimes I just need a little hand holding and a pat on the back, thanks for helping me out!

Great :classic_smile:

You can call them today.  If they don't answer, chances are they'll call you right back.

Or call in the morning.

My point is:  Do this asap:  If you are able to start coverage within a several-day period after *first* payment (varies by policy and state), you will have the largest choice of policies.

(FYI for the future, there is also at least one policy that allows a much later start, at *final* payment, narrowly defined.  However, this is not quite as good as the others in most cases, and some other add-on can be very expensive.)

Also ask about CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason).  This might be *IF* you are still medically able to travel (e.g., no physician will certify that you "must not travel", etc.), but you might just feel like you are not up to it.

This typically would provide 75% cash back.  Not perfect, but certainly better than forfeiting all, or feeling forced to travel rather than losing 100%, etc.  

Hopefully, you will fully enjoy a very relaxing way to travel!

GC

Couldn’t agree more. Call Steve at the tripinsurancestore(.com). 

Discuss your specific needs and concerns with Steve. He will work with you to develop a solution that fits you. 

We”ve bought through him for years. 

• 1 month later...